what we leave behind

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

what we leave behind

I've seen a number of posts from folks talking about how hard it is to see our friends and families having a great time drinking and wonder if indeed they can put that life behind us. Unlike the casual drinker most of us dont have the ability to stop after a few drinks and the stories are endless about the road from a casual drink to binge or habitual drinking. We are after all alcoholics. Being curioius I decided to look at what we can look forward to statistically by continuing to drink:

Aetna Casuality, an insurance company for whom such statistics are critical, states that chronic alcoholism reduces general life expectancy by 15 years so that means in the United States we can expect to live on the average to the age of 66 for women and 61 for men

That's 15 less years you'll spend with you children, your spouse, your grandchildren and your friends

Alcohol drains your savings which means you will have left your husband/wife, children and grandchildren far less that had you not been drinking

Children of alcoholics are far more likely to be alcholics than children of nonalcohics. Thats a legacy that no parent should ever want for thier children

Alcohol robs an alcoholic of thier productivity and creativity. Our own legacy is likely to be defined by our alcohol use and not of those things we created or built. alcohlics take far more than they give. Heck of a way to be thought of after we are dead.

Alcoholics dont just hurt themselves, the longer you drink the greater the chance that you will have hurt someone in a car accident or personal accident

Alcohol damages the body long before it kills us. Heart disease, stroke, diabetes, liver disease, pancreatis and dementia are far greater for alcholics than non drinkers. Our families have a far greater chance to get to live with a sick and dying mother, father spouse.

The list goes on.! I'm not being dramatic this is our reality.

I'd love to hear what others think
    Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

what we leave behind

So so true. If alcohol were physical person, he would be a robber, a killer, a mocker, cunning, most vile creature ever. We can experience the effect but we somehow manage to pretend that he is not real.
    Its for freedom that Christ has set us free. Stand firm then and DO NOT let yourself be burdened again by a yoke of slavery. Gal 5:1

Comment

what we leave behind

TJ - this is good stuff. I spend a lot of time thinking about how I want to be remembered by my friends and family. I'm thankful everyday that I have been given another chance to change my life, and therefore my "legacy." I couldn't bear the thought of my sons having to tell someone (perhaps their own children one day) that their mom/grandma drank herself to death. What an awful burden that would be for them.

This post will stay with me. Thanks.
      Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

what we leave behind

I lost my brother to AL so it is in the family. He ended up with nothing and turned into a person that was not the brother I grew up with and loved unconditionally. It affected our family tremendously over the years. Why did I start to drink and drink when I seen this, I dont know. I am glad I stopped this vicious circle and I thank god my children are not drinkers although I think one has the potential in him which I am trying to knock on the head.

Thanks for the post TJ it hits home very hard.
        AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

what we leave behind

This is so true. I worry about dying of alcoholic disease and worrying about how that will affect my children - but there is so much before that even happens. I want to live my life to the fullest, have the best time with my children whilst they are with me - and fun when they are adults (not being a burden) and have money to do fun things - none of that will happen if I keep drinking...
          TJAF - I love your quote, I saw it a few days ago when surfing, and could not recall where I saw it - I mentioned it in a post today, it has stuck with me and made me think twice when I felt like drowning my sorrows earlier - thank you for sharing it!
          “The only courage you will ever need is the courage to live the life you want"

Comment

what we leave behind

Omg - this is so true, my husband just got released from the hospital with pancreatitis, and now he will face the reality check about drinking. I am not sure how to explain him that he is not capable of just having 2 drinks and stop. He probably will deny that he has a problem.
            AF since 10/20/2013
            Smoke free since 09/24/2007
            Meat free since 09/20/2008
            ---------------------------------------
            With will one can do anything - Samuel Smiles

Comment

what we leave behind

TJAF good find, thanks for sharing. It certainly makes me glad I'm done with AL.
              Newbies Nest
              Toolbox
              My accountability thread

Comment

what we leave behind

TJAF, that was a great post. Thanks for sharing....
                IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
                Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

what we leave behind

Great post.

Comment

what we leave behind

The total selfishness of addiction. Spending all of you time, money, energy in pursuit of that elusive high.
                    At what cost? This just brings it home for me.
                    Thank you.
                    No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

what we leave behind

Spot on TJAF.
                      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Working...
                      X