Breaking The Cycle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breaking The Cycle

Hi everyone first time here, why why why I keep asking myself the day after why did we spend all afternoon sat in pub drinking, started with going to watch football as always does and turns into a long drinking session, tell myself won't do it again but straight away next time we go back. I get this thought in my head that if I haven't had a drink then it's a waste of a weekend but then come Monday I lie there thinking of what a waste.. How much money we spent the fact the. Kids just played in beer garden what could I have done with that time with them. Nights start with a beer but then this escalates and end up getting wine. Why can't I stop this cycle

Breaking The Cycle

Faust The short answer is you can break the cycle. Despite your moniker you can break your deal with the devil and guess what you've already started by posting here. You'll soon hear from some good folks who share your struggle and commitment. A good start though is to check out the Newbie Nest Thread and the Toolbox. Welcome to this thread and welcome to your new life
    Happiness is neither virtue nor pleasure nor this thing nor that but simply growth, We are happy when we are growing.

William Butler Yeats

Comment

Breaking The Cycle

Hi Faust and welcome. I saw your post and wanted to send you some support. I can really relate to a lot in your post. Way after drinking becomes not fun anymore, our drinking life seems to continue on its own without input from us. I remember finding any excuse to go out to the store to get more beer. I told my wife I was going to get a 9 volt battery for a smoke detector one time. Then I would drive home, confused by the conflicting feelings of "about to get my fix" and the utter disappointment I felt in myself.

We haven't gotten to know each other here yet, but we have something in common. It got so bad at a point that we typed something into a search engine and found this site. Then we read for a while before posting (at least I did). Then we got up the courage to post. This is not a defeat! I'm glad I did because it has changed my life for the better.

A key point for me was to learn to identify "which" voice was speaking in my head. The one that brought me here, or the one that wanted me to keep drinking. After a while of starving the second voice, it goes very much into the background. I would suggest you look at the Toolbox thread and the Newbie's Nest threads. This will provide you with TOOLS and SUPPORT. If you do it, you will never, ever, ever regret quitting drinking! :welcome:
      "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
      AF 11/12/11

Comment

Breaking The Cycle

Welcome, Faust.
        The reality is that your story is not unique- but it feels that way, doesn't it?
        The isolation, the guilt, the shame- you aren't the only one in that sandbox.

There's always the first post. Please come back and share your story.

You aren't alone. :hug:
        Patty
        "God didn't give you the Strength to get back on your feet
        so that you can run back to the same thing that knocked you down."
        :hug:

Comment

Working...
        X