Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Giving it time,

Hi friends,

I've had some random thoughts bouncing around in my head about this whole thing lately and felt like sharing them.

I read a post from someone here very recently (can't remember which thread) about how they didn't feel stable for about four months. It triggered a memory for me of about that time in my sobriety. Around four months, my moods just kind of leveled out, and I was pretty shocked when that happened. I started drinking heavily in college, so for most of my adult life I thought I had minor anxiety, depression, and other minor issues along those lines. No, I was just messed up by alcohol the whole time.

I've read and I believe that it really does take a lot of time for the brain to balance out from all the abuse. We feel some relief right away after quitting, but there is a deep healing that occurs when we really give it some time. That takes "faith," not a "leap of faith" like we do at the very beginning standing in front of the sink pouring it away. It takes an enduring kind of belief that we are doing the right thing.

Sometimes people come here in crisis and we all post "hang in there." I do it myself many times, and then I go back and look at the thread and I'm almost embarrassed by how contrite that sounds. Then I think about it and I believe it is the right thing to say. If we know that we are a bunch of alcoholics, then we know that we are used to just crumbling in the face of anything. Hanging in there is something we don't always have a lot of by ourselves. We all need "hang in there" in our lives, so if one of us is in crisis, we can offer that to each other.

Hanging in there is the right thing to do. We all know that returning to drinking is wrong. Everyone that posts that they are about to do that has said that they know it is wrong, but... Everyone that has come back here after returning to drinking has come back looking for help. I just haven't seen anyone who was sober for a while return to drinking and then say how great it was. I'm not looking for that post either.

I've heard the term "terrible drunk." Boy does that sound familiar. I think I was pretty terrible at being drunk and I sure put my family through some sadness because of it. Other people can drink, but I cannot. From the first few times I really got drunk, I had a thought in the back of my mind: "Uh oh, here comes trouble." Not that that thought mattered, I still wasted years drinking. I have to keep that fresh in my mind; that I knew that kind of trouble was coming but did it anyway. I'm now striving for "pretty good sober."

None of this is directed at anyone in particular! I just read here everyday and think about this stuff a lot. I often find myself in many other people's posts.

"AF is a way of life," posted recently on the 100 day thread. Sorry I can't remember the poster at the moment, but I just love that concept.

Have a great AF day!
    "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
    AF 11/12/11

Giving it time,

Pinecone, great post and great advice, as usual

Hanging in there with you.
    Free at Last
    "What you seek is seeking you." -- Rumi

Highly recommend this video
    http://www.ted.com/talks/brene_brown_on_vulnerability.html

July 19, 2013 -- the beginning of being Free at Last

Comment

Giving it time,

Pinecone, thanks for that really great post - getting so much from people like you who really think things through and take the time to share......
      IT'S NEVER TOO LATE TO BE WHAT YOU MIGHT HAVE BEEN
      Relapse starts long before the drink is drunk!!.Fresh Start!

Comment

Giving it time,

AF is a way of life...Amen to that! Thanks Pinecone!
        Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Giving it time,

Pinecone, what an important post. I agree wholeheartedly, TIME is out best friend in this journey (AF time). So good to see you! Byrdie
          All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
          Tool Box
          Newbie's Nest

Comment

Giving it time,

Thanks Pinecone - Great post! I look forward to getting to four months and beyond (currently 83 days) - I am certain there will continue to be changes for me and it is true that I don't feel 100% stable yet. Stupid AL thoughts do come around. I really hate them. I guess that won't stop but will just continue to become fewer and fewer.

It takes an enduring kind of belief that we are doing the right thing.
            Yep, that's true. And acceptance that this is what we must do, because our relationship with AL is not normal and will never be normal. And that is something I continue to work on.

Thanks.

Comment

Giving it time,

Pinecone;1662679 wrote:
              Hanging in there is the right thing to do. We all know that returning to drinking is wrong. Everyone that posts that they are about to do that has said that they know it is wrong, but... Everyone that has come back here after returning to drinking has come back looking for help. I just haven't seen anyone who was sober for a while return to drinking and then say how great it was. I'm not looking for that post either.
              You're right, Pinecone - urging someone to just hang in there sounds like something a person might say without really meaning much. But it is the right thing to say and for the person, to do. What else is there? Give up and continue to live in a horrible way or - and in some ways this sounds even more daunting - start over and go through everything you've just slogged your way through all over again. No thanks to both of those!

I guess we could be more specific and say "just hang in there and don't drink" - that is the only thing a person who wants a way out has to do.

I like posts that make me think about how all of this works. Thanks, Pinecone.

Comment

Giving it time,

Beautiful and Brilliant....

...and invaluable encouragement for those who are healing!
                Sober for the Revolution!
                AF & NF July 23, 2011

Comment

Giving it time,

Thanks Pinecone.
                  I had a really long drinking dream last night. It just felt so REAL. I even passed out and awoke in my dream. Oh no I have to start over, I thought. It really was a devastating thought. And then I really woke up, yet that feeling of how terrible it would feel to give in and start the struggle over has continued throughout my day. I truly am grateful for those times when I did just "hang in there" because it was the only thing I could do, the only way I could get through it.
                  Many days I still just hang in there, and not on just the al front but on other areas of my life that haven't been so easy. This has at least taught me perseverance.
                  Just Hang In There my friends.
                  No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Giving it time,

Pinecone - thanks. A very timely post. I just responded to someone, and ended it with "hang in there," which I then erased because I felt it was too simplistic, perhaps even flip, for the situation. But now I see that it really is good advice. Hard to accept when the going gets tough, but oh so true.
                    Everything is going to be amazing

Comment

Giving it time,

I want to thank LB, because it just struck me as I read this that a relapse now would devastate me so much more than it ever had. In the past, I didn't care when I got to that point of "I don't give a shit" attitude. I never knew what it felt like to like myself as I'm discovering now and how it feels to see things through sober eyes, So many times, I didn't give it enough time. If I'd only pushed just a bit longer, I might have gotten to this point a long time ago, what they call the "switch." Even though I had those slips (sorry, NS but had to use that word), it didn't affect me as much as it would today, because now I know what it's like to like myself. Keep pushing through the days, because that switch will happen for you. Give it time!

Comment

Giving it time,

All,

Thanks for the great discussion and comments!
                        "When you have faults, do not fear to abandon them." Analects of Confucius
                        AF 11/12/11

Comment

Giving it time,

Wonderful thread,i always hit that 30 days and wonder why it's not all magical and perfect,after reading around for awhile from a few strugglers who have finally strung together a good amount of time now,i realize i just haven't given it long enough,i'm realizing i'm not crazy,just impatient
                          I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
                          Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Giving it time,

This thread was a godsend for me tonight. Thank you!!!
                            You had the power all along, my dear.

Comment

Giving it time,

Pinecone!

Frances highlighted the sentence I was going to - but I could really highlight the whole post. I hope you consider putting it in the toolbox as that is where we newbies look for inspiration.

That flat feeling - that in between feeling - was challenging for me. I was in a "why me" and "how did I let this happen" frenzy. All those who came before were quick to reply and to offer how they all had been through that phase - it was enduring faith that helped me get through. Belief that they weren't lying (why would all of you mentors spend time typing lies here?!?!).

Thanks for this wonderful conversation!

Comment

Working...
                              X