Starting over again

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting over again

I've been trying to cut down on my drinking so that I don't get to the paralytic stage of drinking annoy my closest friends and the ones I care about the most, but just can't!

Alcohol isn't affecting my work, well some of the injuries i've had have done but I only drink at weekends and stop on Sunday's as I know I have work the next day, but the hangovers are getting worse, my drinking is getting worse, I can't seem to walk past a bar without going in at the weekends, just for one, and then we all know the rest, I never remember getting home, don't know what I did, who I spoke to, wake up with the sweats, shaking, feeling sick and depressed and loathing myself and wonder why on earth did I do it again, only to drag myself out of bed and then walk past the pub and think, a quick pint will sort me out!

Does this happen to others? And if so what would you recommend to curb it? I have promised someone that I will do three months off the drink, but i'm not sure if that will help and if after three months I'll be back at square one or not? I have heard baclofen can help with the cravings, does anyone know where to purchase it from or if it works or not?

Many thanks in advance

Starting over again

Hi Albino,
    I wish I had an easy answer for you, but there is none. What you need to do is come up with a plan (the toolbox will give you loads of ideas to stop and stay stopped), stay on the plan, post here at least twice a day when you feel like it or not, know that booze is something your body can't handle anymore because you're addicted to alcohol, and nothing from this point ever gets better from drinking. I'm sorry to bring you this bad news. Now here's the good news. The longer you're away from alcohol, the better you'll feel, the more you'll love your life and appreciate the things and people in it, the stronger your mind and body become, and you'll be so much more efficient at work. No hangovers anymore. The detox part is uncomfortable, then the staying quit is the next huge and important thing you'll do. Read as much as you can on these forums. You need the help, and we can give it. Glad you're here.
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Starting over again

Hiya Albino monkey,

Welcome.

Here is the link below to our toolbox Jvo spoke of. Lot's of useful reading there.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Best wishes friend. G bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Starting over again

Hiya Albino monkey,

Welcome.

Here is the link below to our toolbox Jvo spoke of. Lot's of useful reading there.

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f1...box-27556.html

Best wishes friend. G bloke.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Starting over again

Thanks for your replies, I will have a look at the toolbox and hopefully can stay sober!

Comment

Starting over again

Welcome albinomonkey! Great choice, so glad to see you here!

Check out the newbies nest thread too...lots of people and support hanging out there!

I'll look forward to seeing you around!

Comment

Starting over again

hi Albino

I know it will be a different situation in Thailand but can you vary your weekend routine so that you don't get tempted walking past a bar? Maybe
              Take a different route.
              Or start in some class/project/voluntary work/obsession//sport /health spa that does not mean AL?
              Or have someone with you at the weekends who doesn't drink at bars?

Best of luck

Comment

Working...
              X