Just starting out-AGAIN

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just starting out-AGAIN

Wow, I have been away so long from this site, I couldn't even remember the name!!!!

Well, here I am again......June 28th last year was my sobriety date. I had had enough and sought help through my family and AA. Everything was working out well....until November when I got bored of the same ol' same ol' at the meetings. So I stopped from going to 2 or 3 a week down to maybe one, then none. Shockingly I made it not drinking until the end of March of this year, just under 9 months. I'm ashamed. Just threw that time away. Well, today is July 6th, my new sobriety date. Today is day one. I won't beat myself up over how many damn day one's I've had, I'll just get up brush myself off and put on my big girl undies, and deal with it.

I am reacquainting myself with AA. I did an online meeting today and Have done quite a bit of reading. I also thought it certainly wouldn't harm anything if I reached out here as well.

Thanks for hearing me out.
    AF July 6 2014

Just starting out-AGAIN

Hi Christy,
    I certainly have never heard of too much support especially in the early days. I'm glad you're here and ready to begin again. You did it for 9 great months. And that time is awesome. Do you think the loss of connectivity to others in recovery may have led you back to drink? From what I've read, we have a daily need to connect with others and discuss our recovery as well as support others on their journey. The vigilance is a must. I used to do AA but didn't feel it and their philosophy, so MWO has been my savior and taught me so much. Stay here, read, post, and believe that you can do this. Not only do this, but be a happy sober person and not a dry drunk. I hope you come to the Newbie's Nest and join in our support and encouragement there as there are so many people who have started there years ago and are still there with lots of AF time. So glad you remembered it was MWO!
    Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Just starting out-AGAIN

Hi Christy, that is some great af time up for you so congratulations on that one. No point beating yourself up. I keep telling myself that i always need to be vigilant and keep up treasuring my sobriety will all i have.

Get those undies on and keep on here and keep posting. I have never been to AA as i regard MWO as my AA although i would have been more than willing to use everything in my power to stop drinking.
      AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Just starting out-AGAIN

Welcome back, Christy! Head over to the newbies nest and be aure to check out the tool box, links are below. Ao glad you are back, we can help!! Byrdie
        All you gotta do, is get thru this day. AF 1/20/2011
        Tool Box
        Newbie's Nest

Comment

Just starting out-AGAIN

Christy I'm glad you are here and that's a great attitude. Don't beat yourself up, just move on.
          No matter how far you go or how fast you run, you can't get away from yourself. ....said at an AA meeting. It stuck with me.

Comment

Just starting out-AGAIN

I have been wanting to get permanently sober for years, I dont know how much success I will have this time but I do know I will not be drinking today.
            I want to go to AA meetings but find it hard to get the courage. I think I will ring there helpline today, what is this online meeting you mentioned ?
            Its easier not to start than stop

Comment

Just starting out-AGAIN

GMC i use here as my AA and its all about being accountable. If you find it hard to get the courage then come on here for a bit, talk to people who have been to AA and see how you feel. You need to find what works best for you and i find being on here is great. I post daily or more, actively participate in threads and come here if i have a problem, there is always someone around to help. You are more than welcome to PM me if you would like to. I have seen you around GMC, maybe it is time to settle in to become af.

Comment

Just starting out-AGAIN

GMC-I was afraid to walk in to a meeting as well. I just did it and felt so much better after. No one is judging you. Everyone is there for the exact reason.

I think it's aaonline.org.
                AF July 6 2014

Comment

Just starting out-AGAIN

Hey Christy, glad you remembered the site's name! Sounds as if you just hit a bump in the road and that "voice" did its con job. Good for you for getting back on board.
                  Liberated 5/11/2013

Comment

Just starting out-AGAIN

Hi Christy, I am again newly sober myself after a relapse. Two people at AA were really nasty about it, but mostly they are a supportive and caring bunch. One said to me, "hey, we're addicts, that's what we do." If you haven't taken the time to find a sponsor and start working the steps, I recommend doing so. Getting yourself to meetings is only part of the process. I also like that you didn't make any pronouncements like "NEVER AGAIN!" I think the reason the relapse rate on this forum in particular is so high is that people, coming out of a bad experience, without a plan, think they're never going to drink again, but as soon as they start feeling better, all bets are off. My sponsor told me that this battle is won day by day, hour by hour and minute by minute.
                    In the middle of my life's journey, I found myself in a dark wood, as I had lost the straight path. It is a difficult thing to speak about, how wild, harsh and impenetrable that wood is. Just thinking about it recreates the fear. It is scarcely less bitter than death, but in order to tell of the good that I found there, I must tell of the other things I saw there. --Dante, paraphrased

Comment

Just starting out-AGAIN

It's definately a day by day process. Sometimes hour by hour.

Thanks everyone!
                      AF July 6 2014

Comment

Just starting out-AGAIN

Thanks available thats nice of you, I have not drank today so its day one for me
                        Its easier not to start than stop

Comment

Just starting out-AGAIN

I agree with you alky about people leaving here and drinking that is why i post daily or more, when i wake up i log on here and before i go to sleep i come on here. If i become inactive on mwo who knows where my al brain will take me and i am protecting my quit with my life. I am an alcoholic plain and simple and i am addicted to al. My son is a crack addict and he is addicted to crack. We both take it day by day and hour by hour if needed, this is our life but we are both sober and that is a great feeling. I cannot ask for more than that.

Every day GMC sober is a great day, keep busy, eat, sleep when you feel like it and keep all al out of the house. Sugar helped me immensely it seems to curb those cravings and whats a few kilos if we dont drink. Never in my life did i ever ever think i would be 7 months sober, its totally doable with dedication and committment just like everything we do in life. Keep on posting.

Comment

Working...
                          X