Here come's the restlessness

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Friday night, and my restlessness is upon me. My wife has a fucking great box of wine on the breakfast bar. Why can't she show a bit more awareness. I'm pissed off about that, pissed off at being restless, and having to fight the thoughts entering my head randomly every 10 minutes, or ever time there is a little trigger tonight. Hate having to go through this shit. my little girl wants to watch a film. I need to eat my tea (and drink plenty of water as I always feel better after that). Actually, i feel tired. I need to drink more water it will make me feel better. Role on morning. I just want to get Friday night over with.

10 minutes on MWO and I feel so much better. x

Comment

tell her? also tell her youre going to be ratty. eat, it really does help. those thoughts, play it forward all the way to waking up feeling like youre dying, feeling pissed off that you drank, again, when you told yourself you wouldnt. and. that you went through all the work of not drinking only to drink. what a waste of that effort.

Comment

I'm glad coming in here helped; it always helps me, too! I think I'll second the telling her thing, if you can. A couple weeks after I quit, my own mom asked if I'd be ok picking up wine for dinner. I kind of froze in place and after a few seconds she said, "Ok, probably bad idea, huh?" I had to tell her that really, no; going to a liquor store would be a really bad idea for me. My mom isn't stupid and it's not like she doesn't care - she just didn't realize because she hasn't lived it. Her closest comparison is smoking; and even though that is *horrible* to quit and stay quit, it's still a different ballgame than AL for an alcoholic.

Hope things get sorted out and better for you!
        I am stubborn as a pig - but changing what I'm being stubborn about!

Cigarette Free On: 9/23/2014
        AF on: 8/12/2014

Comment

Well Muso you made it through friday at work so why not friday night at home. The first day i gave up drinking (and i had told my children) my daughter rocks up with a bottle of wine. I said to her "remember i said i was stopping today", she said "oh start tomorrow". Not much faith there i dont think!. i looked at that wine, i walked away, i looked at it, i walked away, i did this forever and said "no". I had to do this, i had to stop and now 9 months sober. i hated her that day but i did it, i said no, it was my choice, only mine. Now the kids come over and if they leave some wine in their glass they tip it out so i wont be tempted. Im not but goes to show what i was like, i would drink the dregs of others wine, how sad is that. It gets easier, being deprived does not last forever Muso.
          AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi, Matt--

Yes, I agree, tell her. It is really true that those who are not going through this couldn't possibly understand. I get that. I know I couldn't before the thoughts in my head shifted. People keep offering booze to me, partly because I haven't gotten to the "I don't drink" part of my life yet. My mom just asked me "still? forever?" I don't think she believed it. I don't think she knows, and I also know that she drinks too much and questions her own drinking sometimes.

Anyway... Saturday morning here. I am glad you made it through. I find exercise and ice cream to be offsetting bits of endorphin rush that help get me through.

Happy Sober Saturday.

Comment

Guys, I wish i'd checked in on Saturday. I struggled through Saturday evening feeling the same withdrawn, hard knock type feelings and urges. It was more that, every time something went wrong the kids were shouting and I had to try to stop my short fuse going. i felt like absolute shit on Saturday evening. But I got through it. Pavati... my BIL said to me tonight did I want to go to a beer festival on Friday! I lied to him and told him that I am working late on Friday and won't be back in time. I'm just not ready to tell people that I don't want to, or am not drinking right now. I know it will open up all manner of questions from people who haven't a fucking clue what is going on in my head. Basically, this is between me, my friends on MWO and my wife.

Comment

Working...
              X