The Difference Between a Slip and a Relapse

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: The Difference Between a Slip and a Relapse

I found food helps the most. Most if not all my past relapses have been done when I'm hungry . Now Im not talking preservative sugary foods. Something good.

One tool you can use is that if you're spending $30/day on alcohol addiction, why not go down and buy your favourite meal from a restaurant or stock up to $30/day of great food when starting out

Comment

Good advice Neo - I think a great meal is comforting as well as a tool to fight cravings. I'm finding that the sugar pull is very strong for me right now (3 yrs AF). I always feel better when I eat well, and regret a sugar binge. Kindda like drinking. It's almost blueberry season here - that will help a lot.
      Mary Lou

A pessimist sees the difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees the opportunity in every difficulty. Winston Churchill

Comment

Sometimes when folks have a slip/relapse they are ashamed to come back here or other fellowships, They develop the old inferior complex & put themselves down as no good or not good enough, Which is pure *********, Don't know how many slips & broken promises I had & gave before it clicked with me. Nobody entirely escapes temptation, you must be ready for it when it comes, You must always have defences up when going into vulnerable areas (for you), That is why for me I still use the tools that worked for me every morning & every night & in between if I get the chance.. Failing to prepare is preparing to fail.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
        I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Dead right Mario, I crashed big time this easter and the guilt and shame at 3am yesterday wasn't fun, however that is why I keep the backup valium. nothing worse than anxiety so bad you can't sleep . I could stay off the forum , keep kicking myself or Just get back into it and keep trying .I know by the end of this week I will be feeling good about myself if i follow through on my goals even if at this current moment I feel like the biggest piece of crap

Comment

I have read this thread a couple times and pondered the question 'exactly what IS the difference between a slip and a relapse?'

It cannot be time or amount drunk since there are so many variations. I have even seen it written that ONE DRINK puts you back to square one.

I continue to be astounded by the power of the mind and have concluded that the difference between a slip and a relapse is belief.

People who fall off the wagon and drink and then go back to their previous drinking (and often worse) seem to BELIEVE this is an inevitable consequence of 'slipping'. They BELIEVE they are 'hopeless drunks', 'useless failures' etc.

They also seem often times to have been people for whom sobriety was forced upon them by others as a last chance. This creates continual stress and therefore increases the desire to drink!

Those people who slip (and some do many, many, many times before achieving long term sobriety) seem to have a totally different mindset. They BELIEVE that they WILL get and stay sober at some time, even if it is not THIS time.

So, in my definition;

A relapse occurs when a person who believes themselves to be 'a drunk' loses sobriety.

A slip occurs when a person who believes themselves to be 'in recovery' drinks alcohol.

The amount or time drinking again is pretty irrelevant (in terms of their chances of regaining sobriety) it is their core belief in who they are in the first place that seperates them.

Comment

I preach this so people don't go over the edge with one slip. I have been through all three stages at one point or another over the past number of years. Currently I'm in a position that evolved past a slip, so I wont say much on the forums unless it can help someone. I signed divorce papers, got let go from a job that was going to be my future for me. I have lots of money but the pressure is high. I aligned well with the job; there just wasnt enough work for me. I'll be okay, but its gonna hurt at this point. I've done this many times and I have my appts booked to help me come down. So its only been a couple days but everytime a lapse/slip/relapse happens for an alcoholic the consequences are harder to deal with. I was trying to over drink my drugs so my body is addicted, the mental part alcohol or a drug can't fix. Therapy or talk therapy is my solution to where I'm at. Physically opinions on whether I should use BAC as I hear it causes little problems during withdrawal or the "go to" Diazepam. I dont suffer (yet) from seizures and each drug comes at a cost, but so has my behaviour. A week of emotional insanity and I'm now at a position I havent been in 6 months. Gonna hurt. So talking about slip, lapse, relapse. Slip is you had a drink and regret it. Lapse is a day of using. Relapse is more than one day. The entire time we are aware of what is happening (atleast if you are on drugs like I am, you know what you are doing is stupid). So because I wasn't smart; I assume....not sure yet I will suffer physical withdrawal.
              "Everybody is a genius. But if you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life believing that it is stupid." - Albert Einstein

Comment

There's some pretty good info here and a workbook to help with relapse and relapse prevention, it's a good read for anyone in my opinion...

Be Ready To Succeed | The Relapse Prevention Plan
                Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Abfab. That's a great read indeed. A relapse prevention book that's 260 pages in PDF format...... free! 2007, but still relevant today as this is an age old thing.

Thanks friend.

'I am part of all that I have met, yet all experience is an arch wherethro', gleams that untravelled world whose margins fade, forever and forever when I move'

Zen soul Warrior. Freedom today-

Comment

Ya G-man, what do you get for free anymore lol. My counsellor recommended it to me and I still go back and read it a bit...
                    Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
                    Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
                    Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Originally posted by abcowboy View Post
                      There's some pretty good info here and a workbook to help with relapse and relapse prevention, it's a good read for anyone in my opinion...

Be Ready To Succeed | The Relapse Prevention Plan
                      Bookmarked - thanks ABC
                      To see a world in a grain of sand
                      And a heaven in a wildflower.
                      Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
                      And eternity in an hour.

Comment

Hi abc, thought I bump this thread, it always good to read, and share my experience.
                        Many times when I join here in 2007 I relapse so many times and could not get it, struggling toomuch with the craving.
                        In 2013 I slip had 3 years AF, in my life I was going through a lot of changes, separated from my ex, my partner was going through a operation on his back spine and didn't know what the outcome was going to be if he would end up in a wheel chair, I was struggling with money and going through a bad time & stressed out. My friend helped me & give me money to buy food, and that night I thought I would just have one bottle of wine, but that was not enough, in the middle of the night I when out again got another then some skol super, and strong cider.
                        Like you said you need to get help straight away and lucky I did and was taken to a meeting straight away, it did mess with my head for about a few months.
                        A few weeks ago I was suffering with the HALT a was very aware of it. I was looking after my family dog that was very sick with cancer and my daughter was on holiday with her partner, her dad & his partner & my son. I was on my own in the flat my partner had stay at home with our cats the dog went right down hill after 5 days she would not eating I could not eat sleep because I was making sure she was alright, I felt lonely and very angry with my daughter because they said our family dog Trixy had to be put to sleep my daughter said no wait til I come home from my holiday the dog was suffering real bad ,in the end two days before my daughter come home the vet insisted the dog is suffering too much my daughter agree in the end to put Trixy to sleep. The thing is I was getting very angry . I still feel a bit of resentment of the situation my ex made things worst as well.
                        But thank God I know the meaning of the HALT, my partner was worried and couldn't wait til i got home, after that I have upped my meetings. May be that why I come back on here.
                        Its always good to share your own experience it a good reminder reading your post. Thank you
                        X Catch22 X
                        Last edited by catch22; August 31, 2017, 05:04 PM.
                        Formerly known as Teardrop:l
                        sober dry since 11th Jan '2010' relapse/slip on 23/7/13 working in progress ! Sober date 25/7/13 ( True learning has often followed an eclipse, a time of darkness, but with each cycle of my recovery, the light grows stronger and my vision is clearer. (AA)
                        my desire to avoid hitting bottom again was more powerful then my desire to drink !

Comment

Thought I'd bump this up for [MENTION=23999]moonking[/MENTION], might be something in here for you...

Comment

Bumping this up for [MENTION=11925]TribalRose[/MENTION]

Comment

Powerful. Sunday is my day of worship.

Will be blunt. Waiting on the ABC store to open tomorrow.

Maybe I will change my mind during the night.

Rose

Comment

Didn't go to ABC store. Cleaned up my yard...grocery store essentials. Toast & coffee. Trying not to beat my head against the wall.

Comment

Working...
                                X