Scared, but need to do something!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scared, but need to do something!

I have had a drinking problem probably for 25 yrs. Tried to stop/control drinking from time to time with no success. My husband and I both like to drink wine at night watching tv or just talking. My husband also admits to having a problem, but I think I am worse. I usually start at 5PM (sometimes earlier if I have a good excuse!) I usually drink watching tv until I'm passed out. The other night we went to a Christmas party, I don't remember coming home or what I said or did. Most people that know me think I'm a good person. I genuinely love people, but now the problem (I am sure) is noticeable to people that know me. I happened to find this sight online. I am too embarrassed to see a doctor. I really love drinking wine, but I know I need to stop or get it under control. This is a big step for me to even be typing this message.

Originally posted by ashamed715 View Post
    I have had a drinking problem probably for 25 yrs. Tried to stop/control drinking from time to time with no success. My husband and I both like to drink wine at night watching tv or just talking. My husband also admits to having a problem, but I think I am worse. I usually start at 5PM (sometimes earlier if I have a good excuse!) I usually drink watching tv until I'm passed out. The other night we went to a Christmas party, I don't remember coming home or what I said or did. Most people that know me think I'm a good person. I genuinely love people, but now the problem (I am sure) is noticeable to people that know me. I happened to find this sight online. I am too embarrassed to see a doctor. I really love drinking wine, but I know I need to stop or get it under control. This is a big step for me to even be typing this message.
    Hi

I think most of us can see a lot of ourselves, or at least our former selves in your post

You are certainly not alone, which is a most important thing to understand

Regarding your Doctor - I appreciate this is a difficult position you find yourself in but your Doctor will have seen people like you many times before and you never know, they might be able to help you?

Although I chose the medication route, there are other routes, self-discipline is difficult but the AA is certainly an option and there is also medications

I guess if you have been a drinker for 25 years and therefore have had may "give up" times but recognition while not in a hangover remorse state is a great start

I am sure someone will be able to link you to the tool box, which is a great place to get ideas of how to spend your hours when you would normally be drinking

I would recommend seeing your Doctor, you may be surprised what they say?

Anyway, Welcome

Regards

Bacman
    I am not a Doctor - I am an alcoholic.
    Thoughts expressed here are my own, often poorly put together and littered with atrocious grammar and spelling.

Comment

Hi there! :welcome: to MWO! And there's no need to be ashamed, you're among people who have been in your situation and some still are! Everyone here is trying to get rid of their demons, and we all try to help and support however we can.

If you're thinking about trying a medication to assist you in your quit, check out the Medication Research and Support section, there's always great advice and support over there for those trying to use meds to quit. If meds aren't your thing, hop on into the Newbie's Nest, I find it the best and most helpful thread for newcomers. Whatever method you choose to quit drinking, it's almost certain that support from others will be a tremendous help. You can do this if you really want to!
      Quitting and staying quit isn't easy, its learning a whole new way of thinking. It's accepting a new way of life, and not just accepting it, embracing it...
      Worry about tomorrow, tomorrow. Just get through today. Tomorrow will look after itself when it becomes today, because today is all we have to think about.
      Friendship is not about how many friends you have or who you've known the longest. It's about who walked into your life, said "I'm here for you", and proved it.

Comment

Hi Ashamed (don't be) welcome to MWO
        I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
        Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Hi and welcome I was a heavy wine drinker for about the same time as you, recently quit and I feel so much better for it, it is difficult but this forum is fantastic, have a read and post any questions there is always someone with an answer to hand, take care
          One day at a time - this is enough. Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone; and do not be troubled about the future, for it has yet to come. Live in the present, and make it so beautiful it will be worth remembering...

Comment

Originally posted by ashamed715 View Post

Hi ashamed & welcome to MWO, You are not alone in this battle & you have taken a huge step in acknowledging you have a problem, As well as what the others above have said there is a sticky in the monthly abstinence thread in which folks share there plans in getting there way out, good luck & keep on posting in what your going through as we can all relate.

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
            I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hi Ash, and welcome!
              So glad you found us!
              How are you doing today?
              Day 1 again 11/5/19
              Goal 1: 7 days :heartbeat:
              Goal 2: 14 days :happy2:
              Goal 3: 21 days :happy2:
              11/27/19: messed up but back on track
              12/14/19: bad doozy but back on track

One day at a time.

Comment

Hello - I just wanted to say hi. I've found this site to be an amazing relief, actually. I'm only on day 2 but I can relate to your situation. I've probably drank to excess since high school (14ish years) but only recently has become a problem as it's not really acceptable in my group of friends anymore. Not that it's really acceptable in college or soon there after, but everyone else is doing it...so...but now that we're all married with kids, it's very apparent that my friends stopped and I continued.

My husband and I are (were?) big wine drinkers. My husband has no idea I have a 'problem' although I suspect that he suspects something, just hasn't said anything. He rarely drinks to excess, mostly because he knows I do and someone has to DD home. But even at home, I'd be on my 4th - 5th glass of wine and he's still on #2. I actually hosted Christmas and don't remember much if anything after noon.

My rock bottom was missing work two days because of my massive hangovers. I realized that I really couldn't go on like this anymore. My attempts at moderation were leading to an even bigger problem, which appears to be a common theme here for people.

I haven't told anyone how I'm feeling, not even my therapist. Please don't feel ashamed - I believe you are a good person and you love people, but you are fighting a demon like the rest of us. I don't feel like I can tell anyone at least right now...so for the time being if someone asks, I'm 'taking a break' and if they push farther my excuse is that I'm running a mini marathon in April and need to focus on being as healthy as possible. In my very limited time of sobriety, I don't think it's necessary for you to stand up and announce, "I'm an alcoholic!" if you're not there yet. Take baby steps. Right now I'm just taking it hour by hour. I look forward to making it to one week.

Hugs, and glad you're here.

Comment

Hi & welcome to mwof :happy2: I've found it a super resource & more importantly, has wonderfully supportive folk all with a common goal of trying to achieve sobriety. I have found it a very helpful & understanding place to be x
                  If you'd like to this is a thread I've found very helpful https://www.mywayout.org/community/ju...nest-6898.html
                  Wishing you all the best
                  LS
                  To see a world in a grain of sand
                  And a heaven in a wildflower.
                  Hold infinity in the palm of your hand,
                  And eternity in an hour.

Comment

Working...
                  X