Last chance

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Last chance

Hi all. Been trying for 3 yrs to stop drinking. Had enough. Don't know why I keep getting back on it. Don't even like the taste anymore. Thought maybe you lot could give me some advice. Been a drinker for 20 yrs got worse towards the end. Only just had two week bender. Had none since Wednesday. Shakes gone but thoughts of drinking came back today. How can I stop. It's like when you know you shouldn't. You want it more

Re: Last chance

Hi Space and welcome. You have come to the right spot for advice and help. We are all alcoholics and understand. My drinking got worse in the last ten years to two bottles of wine a day and more on weekends. I think for me being on here with people who understood what i was going through and who passed no judgement helped me immensely. reading and watching documentaries showed me that al is a deadly disease and if i could stop then great.

Only you make the choice to stop and your not drinking since Wednesday is great. i found at this time my al voice was telling me i deserved a drink, i had gone this long i could stop at any time when in reality i knew i could not be a normal drinker. i have no off switch as far as al is concerned, all or nothing for me.

the only thing you can do is keep busy and take it day by day, minute by minute or hour by hour. i changed my routine completely, slept when i was tired, ate what i wanted, came on here and posted and read. it does get better but it takes time Space. I am nearly 4 years sober and i never ever want to drink again. We keep going back as we are addicted and al is the only way we have learnt to cope with life basically.

head over to the newbies nest or join in in other threads that may interest you. I know if it was not for MWO i would not be where i am now. I put in the time i drank at night to being on here and reading, i learnt a lot and had gathered plenty of tools to help me in situations as they came up and that i used to drink AT.

You can do this!
    AF free 1st December 2013 - 1st December 2022 - 9 years of freedom

Comment

Hi Space,your last line of"if I can't have it makes me want it more" is the thinking I get that gets me in trouble,I think working on changing our thinking to"thank god I don't HAVE to drink" instead of I can't is the key to stopping the madness,good to see you back
      I have too much shit to do today and tomorrow to drink:sohappy:

I'm taking care of the "tomorrow me":thumbsup:
      Drinkin won't help a damn thing! Will only make me sick for DAYS and that ugly, spacey dumb feeling-no thanks!

Comment

Thanks that's a great way of thinking. Something I need to do is think more about what I'm doing and not what I've done

Comment

Working...
        X