NYCGirl's Story

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

NYCGirl's Story

Good advice Sujul (I coulda said it myself, wink wink).

I was just wondering NYCgirl if you ever told your boss about your problem? If so, has that helped?

Also, are you planning on cutting alcohol down gradually or going cold turkey? Please read the book forst about that because if you plan to stop cold turkey there are some dangers and things you should be aware of (I can hear a collective sigh of impatience here on this site). It depends on how long and how much you have been drinking, of course. If it hasn't been many years of abuse, your body is probably not physically addicted yet, so quitting abruptly will be more of a mental exercise than a physical one, though you may be uncomfortable for a few days. In any case, you should start taking the supps as soon as possible. Your body needs them and they will help you fight cravings too. Same goes for exercise-- even just walking briskly is good.

I'm a little surprised to hear about the New York culture being so drink-oriented. I thought there were so many health-addicts there that there would be a hopping health-oriented social scene. At least there are a lot of healthy restaurants to choose from (I see them advertised in Veg Times and Satya magazines and the like.)

Anyway, good luck and don't hesitate to come here any time of day or night. You will always be sure to get some advice/support or even just entertainment to divert your mind for a while.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Wow. I really identified with a number of elements in your story, NYC girl. It sounds uncomfortably like my early drinking career in the same city, even to getting lost in the basement of a friend's building. (I think I remember something similar happening to me, too)

At any rate, I wish I had stopped back then, when I was your age, and saved myself some years of increasing unpleasantness. It doesn't get better.

The thing is, it's quite possible, I didn't find AA worked for me at all, but the MWO program is incredible. There is also something called SMART recovery, you can google it - it's a program that uses rational techniques to changing behaviors. They may have meetings in NY, I know they have online ones.

Good luck to you. You can change, if you desire it.

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

The supplements

I can't add anything much about the what people have said -- although SMART actually does have groups in NYC -- none here in Alabama, which I would have attended if I could have.

But, as a first step, I would definitely read Seven Weeks to Sobriety and RJ's book, they both talk about the supplements. This is not pseudo science. Alcohol affects our body and robs our body - especially our brain - of nutrients. (Google and you will find much more about the nutritional needs and find pretty much the similar requirements mentioned everywhere.)

My first step was to start the nutrients, even before I began to start trying to quit. I am still in the trying the quit part.

But, I can tell you that after 4 weeks of supplements, my thoughts are clearer and I feel much better DESPITE drinking, unless, of course, I get drunk. (I haven't been drunk in over a week now!! Yeah!! and AF 5 days until two glasses of wine yesterday, booo!!)

Starting the supplements is a good foundation for the plan. If you could get them through food, it would be great, but I don't think that is possible.

Best of luck to you, and PLEASE BE CAREFUL. I travel for a living (always alone) and know first hand how dangerous it can be to wander from the hotel bar to your room after 5 or 8 glasses of wine. I have been blessed to wake up every time in the right room, alone and with all my belongings. I am female, too, but a male would be in the same danger. I want to stop this madness before something bad happens to me on one of these trips and I hope the same for you!!

Cindi
        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Hi all,

Thanks so much for your responses. My supplements should be arriving today, and I'm going to start them tomorrow instead of waiting til next week. I guess it can't hurt. I don't really plan to go AF unless I ultimately have to, but I'd like to do it for the next two months (or at least as nearly AF as possible, I know I will be drinking some next wednesday). I'm training for a big cycling event in August (7 days, 560 miles) and I really need to focus on that and lose some weight, so it's a big motivator to not drink right now, just need the extra help so that I actually don't. Fortunately, I have the exercise thing mostly down, even though I've been skipping workouts a lot recently because I've felt like such crap. That's the funny thing about NYC...the health and party cultures somewhat convulge. People will be out drinking til 3am, but still get up and run 20 miles the next afternoon. Or someone will eat only organic food, but down three martinis a night. It's a very weird place like that, I think because so much is driven by what's trendy - it's trendy to be out partying all night and it's also trendy to be physically fit and health conscious - weird but true I think. Fortunately, there is a big health culture here and you can surround yourself with healthy people if you seek them out, which I am trying to do more and more. I took a like 45 minute walk last night just to get out of the house, and I'll be going to the gym tonight for the first time in probably three weeks, so that is good. Thanks for all the support everyone!

NYCGirl

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

Sounds like you are on the right track. Just keep moving in the direction. One thing I think is espcially great is that you have a tentative plan but you realize you have to be realistic and flexible. This will prevent you from setting all too high and unaccomplishable goals only to be dashed to the ground because you couldn't achieve them Take one step at a time and always look ahaid. Pat yourelf on the back for the little accomplishments and gain confidence that you can move fourther towards you goals. We are all really rooting for you. You are so young and have only to gain from pushing ahaid in the right direction.
            Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

NYCGirl's Story

MY thoughts EXACTLY, Beatle!

NYC, you are so right about the peculiar convergence of cultures here....actually, I think that a case could be made that NYC is actually a bipolar city...
              "I'm a sucker for a good resurrection story." Anne Lamott

Comment

Working...
              X