Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Success in the end - encouragement for those just starting out

Hello everyone

I actually joined the site in 2008, but haven't been on here for about 10 years it seems, looking back at my old posts. I suddenly thought about it last night and decided to take another look.
    I had several attempts at quitting daily wine drinking, managing at least 6 months each time before deciding I could moderate and then within days was back to drinking wine each day, my old pattern, again. I actually only really started heavy drinking in my early 30's when my children were small and I was no longer breastfeeding.
    This site was invaluable to me at the time, for support, and when I was looking around last night I did spot some old names I remeber.
    I resumed drinking again after 2012 and didnt' have the strength to find another quit until late 2016 when I finally quit successfully on 1/1/17. For some reason I didn't come back to this site for support but was using a Dry January facebook group. The main difference this time was I had accepted I couldn't moderate and also I resumed running again, and this really helped me and since 2017 I have run 7 marathons including London, New York and Chicago and also become a regular Park runner, which is very popular in the Uk where I live. I felt really emotional reading my old posts last night, starting off when my oldest child was 4, and I remember joining the site just before she started primary school - she is now at university and my youngest is 17!
    Anyway I just thought I'd drop in and say hi in case anyone remebers me, and even if not, to say, don't give up if at first you don't succeed because you can get there, but for me the main essentials for success this time were;
    an acceptance that I couldn't moderate
    finding something else to do to fill my time, relax me, etc
    accepting that alcohol does nothing except a 20 min buzz which you can never get back, however much you drink for the rest of the day so what is the point - it just dehydrates you and makes you feel rubbish.
    Wishing everyone well, take care
    Sausage

Re: Success in the end - encouragement for those just starting out

Hi
    No I was still SAUSAGE - written in capitals for some reason?!
    I’ve also updated my story in the My Story session yesterday.
    I think it’s possible to search for my earlier posts - I can see some of them anyway!

Comment

Hi SAUSAGE, I also was here "back in the day". In these past 15 years: Children grown and off to college and making their own lives. Parents passed away. Family with siblings falls apart. Medical issues with surgeries. Today is 10 days wine and beer free. I don't think "free" is the correct term, but I am making progress. This time I have seen a psychologist (yesterday) with instructions to make follow up appointments with a therapist. I have begun my morning walking routine of 3 miles. I am still procrastinating as I am on spring break (a teacher) and had so much work to do this week and here it is the week-end before returning to work. I decided this week of 10 days to not be concerned with diet as the one thing I need to focus on is NOT DRINKING. My doctor gave me a prescription for Naltrexone, but as I researched it, (well Googled it) I don't think it is what I want. I still am not sure I can make a life time commitment to no alcohol. I am already planning anniversary/birthday dinner at a restaurant in three weeks and am thinking of sake. I am well aware of the slippery slope.
      Welcome back to you and me.
      hulagirl
      sigpic

Comment

Hi, [MENTION=4610]hulagirl[/MENTION]! Glad you came back to MWO. You'd be welcome to post on the more active threads (army, weekly, cattleman cafe, newbies nest) where you can get the support we all needed to do this. It IS true freedom when one day you realize that not only can't you drink, you don't need to drink. All the best - NS

Comment

Working...
        X