Antabuse Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antabuse Thread

I thought it might be a good idea to start a thread about Antabuse since so many of us are starting on it.

If you find something you do causes an issue, post it here so the rest of us don't necessarily have to go through the same thing.

I read recently here that someone can't eat vinegar on their salad dressing anymore? It gave them a headache.

Things like that.

As I run into issues, good or bad, I will try to remember to post them.

Today is my first day. I am at 250 mg.

Cindi
    AF April 9, 2016

Antabuse Thread

Thanks Cindi~

I'm ready for a long stretch of AF. Mods has been good (for the most part) but I'm ready to kick it up a notch. I planned to start Antabuse on Monday. I have gotten all mentally psyched up, but today I had a scary thought. Which leads me to my first question!

So here goes: I have to go to the dentist next Thursday and will have to have some super fun novacaine shots. I'm scared to death that I will have some sort of reaction that I will be the first in history to die from.

My husband said to wait until after that to start because he knows how sensitive I am to anything and everything prescription. but I was hoping for Monday to start but now it looks like not. Anyone had novacaine dental shots mixed with Antabuse? Wow.... that's a question I never saw coming ten years ago! :H
    If you do not live the life you believe, you will believe the life you live.

Comment

Antabuse Thread

I don't know the answer to your question Prest, but what I will say is please anyone who is considering taking this, do your research. I learned tonight that you cannot take it if you have a thyroid disorder (which I have) which is not a commonly known thing. This is a heavy duty drug so please just make sure you know as much about it as you can.
      I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Wow...

I better research everything about it then. I am the only one of the women in my family who has bypassed the thyroid problem. My mom and sister both on thyroid meds for life. My thyroid is and has always been good. I really dont want a reason or excuse to not do this, but at the same time I want to be safe. I'm glad you brought that to the attention, which is the very reason for this thread I think. Lets be educated and learn from each other as well as anything else we can personally bring to the table.

And I really like my balsamic vinegar and perfume... yikes!

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Oh, and one more question for Lushy...

You said this is a heavy duty drug. Does that mean its really hard on your liver, or just hard to metabolize, really bad for you?? I am thinking it cant be worse than alcohol? I have just read the general FDA stuff, but if you have anything health-related that you know of that is not advertised, I would like to know.

I think I will take it regardless of whatever negative stuff there is coming from the mindset that I need a kick in the butt to do AF instead of eternal comfy in mods with sporadic slips that leave me feeling so awful. But I hope to only use it for a season to gain much needed AF time and take that "option" to even have two glasses of wine off the table for now. Waiter, you can take my glass.

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Hi Prest4time.
            I started on antabuse today, 3 hours ago to be exact, and keep waiting for something awful to happen (even though my last drink was over 30 hours ago). Nothing so far except a nasty bitter taste in my mouth). Hope the vinegar theory is wrong. I too like my balsamic!! Tried topa but itching and wild mood swings made me stop. Lets hope this will help us, keep on posting!
            "It's amazing what you can get done just by getting on and doing it!" - (anon):new:
            FOXYMUM

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Superb thread cindi.......thanks for posting.
              I think anyone is naturally in awe of antabuse, so yes, doing one`s homework on the drug is crucial to ensure safety and being able to come here and share real life experiences of taking it and any ensuing problems helps to further allay peoples` fears. My hat is off to anyone brave and committed enough to take this drug, which is deemed safe, provided one takes all the necessary precautions........

Well done all.

Much love,

Starlight Impress x

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Hi! I have been on Antabuse for 18 days today. I too, was very nervous! Someone on this site who is a pharmacist gave me this site to check out the drug Drugs.com | Prescription Drug Information, Side Effects & Interactions. Lots of good info here. There are certain other meds that cannot be combined with Antabuse (disulfirim) so you need to be careful. I take Effexor, Sinulair, and Arimidex...all of which are ok. I for one have had NO side effects, and after being careful to check it out slowly, can use perfume, my face cleanser, and eat vinigar on my salad. I just CANT DRINK. I did an experiment on day 2 to check it out. I had a small amount of wine. Within about 20 minutes my heart sped up, my face flushed an my breathing was a little bit labored (I have asthma so that did not suprise me). Just enough to let me know THIS STUFF WORKS (I was wondering since all else was ok!). I do think it may effect people differently though, so I would use caution. However, it is saving my life. I still miss drinking a bit in the evening, but don't struggle with that decision "do I don't I maybe just a little". I still know if I were off the med. I would drink, but hoping with time I will become stronger. Seems to be getting there. I take the medicine every other day without ANY struggle, as I am in a different mind frame completely in the morning, compared to at drink time.

Hope this is helpful.

Beth
                formerly known as bak310

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Lucy- glad Antabuse is working for you. Like yourself I don't have cravings in the morning so taking it isn't a problem. Your experience with 'a little wine' has put me off trying any, so thanks for that!!
                  So far so good- bring on day 3 AF...Moderation just isn't going to work for me until I get into a different mindset and it's good to HAVE TO go through certain situations without a drink and find that it's actually not too bad!
                  "It's amazing what you can get done just by getting on and doing it!" - (anon):new:
                  FOXYMUM

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Thanks for this thread, I keep considering asking my GP for Antabuse but really shy away from discussing my alcohol probs with her as as I've said before we work in the same building, along with the alcohol counsellors/CPN's. Can you buy this online? Think I am a bit scared to try it but would like to have it handy for when I really can't drink...

Lxx
                    Rather die standing, than live on my knees, begging Please..... No More.......

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Can I just ask those of you are taking it did you start off by taking a large dose then reducing it gradually to 250mg a day like I did when I was on it?? Basically I took 4 x 250mg tablets the first day then reduced a tablet per day until I was taking just one 250mg tablet per day. Lucy you have bigger balls than me my dear for experimenting with it !!!!!ROFLMAO

Love and Happiness
                      Hippie
                      xx
                      "Keep me away from the wisdom which does not cry, the philosophy which does not laugh and the greatness which does not bow before children." Kahlil Gibran
                      Clean and sober 25th January 2009

Comment

Antabuse Thread

I like More2's approach with it. If it stays in your system for five days or more why would you take it every day? Again, I am not expert on this drug but it seems like it should not have to be taken daily, unless taking it daily is more of a mindset issue.
                        I'm really easy to get along with once people learn to worship me

Comment

Antabuse Thread

I've been on it for almost 2 weeks. I got it from river pharmacy and I take 1/2 a 250 everyday. The 1st day I only took a quarter tab at a time just to make sure. I have eaten vinegar with no problem. I really want to drink but I'm sure it will pass in time. bird

Comment

Antabuse Thread

I took Antabuse a few years ago and just have to say that I THOUGHT I wanted a drink just because I knew I couldn't! When I went off of it and started drinking again, it was SO disappointing and anticlimactic. I don't know if anyone else has had this experience but looking back, I was just like a 3 year old! I want it because I can't have it. Just wanted to put that out there.
                            "Life is not about waiting for the storms to pass...It's about learning how to dance in the rain." - Vivian Green

Comment

Antabuse Thread

Lucy I'm just so thrilled that you are getting great results from this! It's been great for me too. I got a vinegar reaction when I first started with it but I've intentionally experimented with both vinegar and N/A beer and wine and no reaction! must have been my body adjusting...?
                              anyhow this drug is so common and has been used by so many people for so long I don't think it could be very dangerous and be kept a secret. I'm taking it the morning I go on the road with workmates or out to a place that is difficult for me. during the work week when I'm at home I don't have any triggers/stresses that make me want to drink so i don't take it. If I started to have temptation to drink during the week mind you I'd be popping it whenever needed.
                              And yes you can find it online at riverpharmacy.com etc. if you have to get it that way.
                              nosce te ipsum
                              (Know Thyself)

Comment

Working...
                              X