Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Topamax-Who is at 200mgs-How are you feeling?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think your're both right. The medical community seems to have been trained to view people who drink too much as a distinct catagory of people who must abstain for life asap. If only they knew how many moms and dads there were out there who function just fine but who are just plain sick and tired of having their kids see them holding a corkscrew every night, and wandering around dead tired every morning getting things done! If we never spoke up, nobody would know about people like us. We want to set good examples for our kids, and lead healthier lifestyles. That's all.
    Back to the question. I find I can't really go much more than 200mg. of Topa now because I just get too darned sleepy. I'm still having fantastic success on the drug and supps (have dropped most supps, but kept a few) after 3 months on the program. My Doctor said we should look at the Topa prescription in blocks of YEARS rather than months, so clearly this will be long term which is what I wanted. To be honest, I have given up the hypno tapes. Not my thing.

Comment

I have been on 200 mg (100 mg doses twice a day) for almost 3 weeks now. I don't plan to increase as I don't have much desire to drink anymore. I went from drinking 4 - 6 beers per night (if not 7 or 8 if I went out) to about 3 beers per week. They taste funny now, and don't have the same effect on me. I am still a little tired, but almost all of the side effects have disappeared (tingling, severe digestive problems), except for the occassional digestive problems. I stopped taking the calms forte except before bedtime, and I think the tiredness improved. I still take the other supplements (EPO, Kudzu, L-glut, Magnesium, Gaba, All-One) even though I'm past the 6-week period.

As nofoolin said, I also plan to stay on the Topa for a while - I'll put up with re-reading my emails a few times for typos rather than the damage I had been doing to my liver for years. Plus, the weight loss sure is nice. 9 lbs so far, which gets me 1/2 way to my college weight!

Comment

Hi all,

I am currently at 100 mg topa, and have been for several weeks now. Have been hovering there, trying to keep myself at the lowest possible therapeutic dose. However I still find I'm battling some pretty strong cravings fairly frequently. So I am going up to 125 mg this week.

Just wondering about others' experiences. At what dose did you notice the largest impact on cravings? I am definitely not having the same level of cravings as before I started topa (thank God) but I also don't feel the level of freedom that others talk about. I'm just trying to find that right balance between relief from cravings, perhaps the ability to drink a glass of wine or two without going overboard, and also not having too much in the way of topa side effects.

Mike
        "Few things are impossible to diligence and skill. Great works are performed not by strength, but perseverance." -- Samuel Johnson (1709 - 1784)

Comment

125 and ok ?

I am 125 and ok, but still craving, forgot to take 2 days last week (scary, but nothing happened! ) I intend to keep going to 200 if i can tollerate, and stay there cuz I REALLY need to control those cravings bad!! I have not been doing so well, and have been on supps (not doing CDs cuz of time, maybe should get back into those!) Have a few AF days under my belt as of now, so that is a plus......good luck to all, will keep on truckin!:thanks: :h

Mary Anne

Comment

I did not do well on 200mg of Topomax at all. I had serious cognitive disorientation and just a feeling of unease. Very strange side effects.
            The Universe stirs up our comfortable nests, and pushes us over the edge of them, forcing us to use out wings...

Comment

Working...
            X