X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen- My Progress- Marbella

IVl10855;631870 wrote: Hi all,

I am new on this Forum. I have few questions to ask:

If the Bac pill is braked into small pieces it has the same effect? If then if mixed with food or coffe, it has the same effect?

If taken all at once for example 30 Mg? Is there any danger?

After how long will notice any change ?

Are there any side effects on using baclofen + campral or baclofen + antabuse?

Please let me know as this is very important for me.

IVL
    Hi IVL, before considering Baclofen, I'd recommend that you pick up a copy of Dr. Ameisen's book, _The End of My Addiction_. Many libraries in the USA have it (I'm not sure about the UK), and it's also widely available in France as _Le Dernier Verre_ (I don't know where you're located).

To your question about how long it will take, I would plan on several weeks or even months before the therapeutic dose is reached.

Comment

billyb;632062 wrote: Here's another suggestion: perhaps you could experiment with varying your doses to match your cravings, and to minimize daytime tiredness.

Like you, I had strong cravings at a specific time of day (for me it was 5-6pm). So, rather than take three equal doses, I would start off very light, and rather late, at about 11am or noon. That way I would be alert in the morning, and feel only mild effects in the early afternoon (this might not work with morning drinkers, unfortunately). I'd then take the heaviest dose around 4pm to stave off the major craving, and then another lighter dose around 8 or 9 to get me to bedtime. I'd try to then sleep from 9:30 till 6:30 (not always possible to get to bed that early, but it was my goal).

So for me, if I was at 30mg, it would have gone something like:
      11:00 - 5mg
      4:00 - 15mg
      9:00 - 10mg

Right now, at 100mg daily, I generally do something like:
      11:00 - 25mg
      4:00 - 50mg
      9:00 - 25mg

Perhaps, since you get cravings between 7-9, you might try something like:
      3:00 - 5mg
      6:00 - 15mg
      9:00 - 5mg

Of course, that would depend on when you will be driving. You wouldn't want the large dose to hit you while driving. But, if you could manage a schedule like that, it would make the rest of the day much better for tiredness, and it could help you conquer that evening craving.
      Bill, thanks so much for that- that is certainly doable as the strong dose doesn't fit in with my driving times- but it does fit in with my cravings. I will try that tomorrow.

Comment

marbella;632192 wrote: Bill, thanks so much for that- that is certainly doable as the strong dose doesn't fit in with my driving times- but it does fit in with my cravings. I will try that tomorrow.
        Hi, along those lines as well. I have found on occassion and Im on the same dose as the other Bill of 100mg

I have found that when I went to
        30 am
        30 mid afternoon
        and 40 Before bed

That I'd get more transient drowsiness episodes. So then I sometimes break it up into 20mg five times a day and tolerate it better than just 3 times a day.

Smaller doses more frequently is another way to try it. The nice thing about baclofen is the safety factor of it that you can fiddle with it a bit more than regular medications to get a dosing schedule that fits.
        Like today, I took 30mg AM and feel fine. Other times I get transient drowsiness. Its pretty random actually. Could happen completely independent of my advice actually lol
        Good luck and stick with it.

Comment

Marbella your post about your life, touching. i cant believe all the people that were heavy drinkers and how most of them didnt last or are still suffering. =( im nervous and scared. i hope the nal works for me.. glad your doing well

Comment

Bill.P.;632197 wrote: Hi, along those lines as well. I have found on occassion and Im on the same dose as the other Bill of 100mg

I have found that when I went to
            30 am
            30 mid afternoon
            and 40 Before bed

That I'd get more transient drowsiness episodes. So then I sometimes break it up into 20mg five times a day and tolerate it better than just 3 times a day.

Smaller doses more frequently is another way to try it. The nice thing about baclofen is the safety factor of it that you can fiddle with it a bit more than regular medications to get a dosing schedule that fits.
            Like today, I took 30mg AM and feel fine. Other times I get transient drowsiness. Its pretty random actually. Could happen completely independent of my advice actually lol
            Good luck and stick with it.
            Thanks Bill- I see I need to play about with it a little.
            There are really no set rules I guess, i will try to find something that suits me a little better, I think I should take more pre-bed, and will try it tonight.

Thank you again for all your help- it really is appreciated.

Comment

me1455;632225 wrote: Marbella your post about your life, touching. i cant believe all the people that were heavy drinkers and how most of them didnt last or are still suffering. =( im nervous and scared. i hope the nal works for me.. glad your doing well
              Me, I honestly believe I was on the last chapter of my life story when I discovered Nal.

I dont think either nal or baclofen is "better"- I think they are both wonderful discoveries for helping us- nal has got my drinking down to reasonable levels and I am hoping baclofen can help me even more.

Just be sure to take the Nal an hour before you think you might drink, and only then- some days you will change your mind and decide not to, most days you will still drink, but gradually you will find the need/wanting to slips away.

Did you see the post on the Sinclair thread by Pisco?
              It is very informative, don't give up- you will still get the odd bad day but keep on going.

Comment

[QUOTE=billyb;632062]

So for me, if I was at 30mg, it would have gone something like:
                4:00 - 15mg
                9:00 - 10mg

I like this dosing schedule, I start much earlier in the am and my hard times of the day are also much earlier. I am starting bac today so will let you all know how it goes!!
                "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

I am still having trouble titrating up- I am finding it quite easy not to drink most days (last night I had 2 beers though) I don't really want to drink on top of the baclofen, I feel it's effects are stronger...and I can't imagine it is a good idea.

Yesterday I have 5mg in the morning, then tried having a big dose at 6pm (15mg) then had cravings and drank 2 beers, so didn't take the last dose as I felt on top of the beers it might not be a good idea.

Well I will try again today! One of these days I will make it.

Comment

Me again

I have taken 10 mg of Bac in the morning and then I drank some coffee. After 15 min there was a shaking sensation in my hands.
                    He someone experienced something like this when mixin with coffee in the morning?
                    It recommended to take bac alog with coffe? It will meet the desired outcome?
                    In general if it's mixed with food for example?

Please advise ?

Regards,

IVL

Comment

Hello marbella!

You probably don't remember me from thesinclairmethod website, but I know you by reading your old posts there. I started around the time you "left". I just finished my 13th week of TSM and decided it was leading me to moderation and not abstinence, which is my real goal. I understand you have the same goal of abstinence.

Anyway, after reading the entire baclofen thread today, I decided I will add Baclofen to my Naltrexone regimen.

My only concern is that I am still tapering on my Benzo addiction and I worry that the Baclofen will have a cumulative anxiolytic effect. I am down to 7mg diazepam (Valium) per day now and it will take another 12 weeks to get down to zero, if I don't want any side effects. I recently tapered too quickly and got some severe side effects, so I don't want to go through that again.

Anyway that's about it for now. Thought I'd say hello and best wishes.

Bob

EDIT: I forgot that I was active on this website about 3 months ago. I got so caught up in the TSM website, I thought that the posts I made here were on the other site. Oh well.

Comment

How are you doing Marbs?
                        "Keep your eyes and heart focused on the end goal at all times, and never settle for less."

Comment

does it help a person to not get to drunk

I understand baflocen reduces cravings.. which is great, im definitely getting it.. but curious does it also have you not drink as much when you do drink? like u know when to stop?

Comment

me1455;642703 wrote: I understand baflocen reduces cravings.. which is great, im definitely getting it.. but curious does it also have you not drink as much when you do drink? like u know when to stop?
                            That would be ideal for me. Anyone have a response to this?

Comment

Unfortunately, when I did drink on it, I still drank to blackout. So for me, that is not an option.

I have been a full blown blackout drunk for years, though..

Cindi
                              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cindi, were you on your "switch off" dose yet? I also can attest that low doses do nothing. In fact, I was worse than normal.

Comment

Working...
                                X