Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Consolidated Baclofen Progress Thread

Cinders,

Have you considered slowly titrating back up to reach "indifference"?

Do you feel any difference between between your craving or thought level between 160mg and 100?

Evie, what about you? Do you still have thoughts (I guess the best word would be "yearnings" no?) Meaning, if one still has yearnings, then one couldnt be totally indifferent. I dont want to have either cravings or yearnings. I want to be able to take or leave it completely.

I guess my point is that, from what im seeing on the forum, Bac seems to help everyone's cravings, but not everyone hits the "off" switch where Al is really just like any other beverage. Or have peeps just not titrated high enough to hit the "off"?

What do you guys think?

Comment

ZMAN, Right now I am in a real stressful time and I have cravings like I haven't had in over a year.
      I feel like I am on a tight rope and Baclofen is the balance pole that i am holding on to.
      I was at 30mg (my maintenance dose) then went to 40 mg (my stress dose) and waited 3 days to go up another 10 mg (yesterday).
      Now that I am at 50 mg I feel alot more solid so I will wait for 3 more days to see if I need to go to 60mg.
      It feels like 50mg will be enough....We shall see ???
      sigpicEyes on the PRIZE, a SOBER Future !!!

Comment

I havent been able to move past 60 in a day. it makes me really tierd. still drinking 7 day stint AF but have picked right back up. have kids starting tonight so will be AF until tuesday and hopefully beyond

Comment

withdrawn

Comment

Zman;662314 wrote: Oh sorry Louise, I didnt realize! I thought that was your personal thread.
            No need to be sorry! Obviously I wasn't clear enough and this will work great for me. I hope people won't delete their personal threads - they might be useful for the scientists someday!

Comment

Siwan, I think you are really on a path of recovery here (at least that's what I'm reading in your posts)!!!
              I very much agree with you on the statement that it is not just biological.
              Biology is a BIG part (at least for me) but then we are not just physical beings here, are we ???
              Neglecting the emotional and spiritual parts of recovery would have left me still feeling EMPTY inside !!!
              It has taken the better part of a year to reintroduce ME to ME and I still feel I have a Long way to go.
              Alcoholism is a devastating disease and healing from it is a journey back to reconnecting to our "higher selfs". Only then can we find a sense of inner peace !!!
              I have taught metaphysics for over 25 years and I will gladly share some of the simple tools that I have used on my "healing journey"...if anyone is interested ???

Comment

Siwan, I think it is good you added your celexa back. Did you go off it because of the baclofen? The drug interaction list does say they can increase the CNS/respiratory depression of each, but just recommends don't drive or operate machinery until you know how it effects you. I have stayed on my antidepressant at the same dose and plan to stay there. You are making progress, and as you are able to increase I'm sure it will get easier.
                Cacky, sorry you are so tired. I have found on the days I'm tired I usually revive with a brief rest, but one night slept 10 hours. I hope this side effect decreases for you soon.
                I can't weigh in on the indifferent debate as I'm not indifferent yet, but cravings are minimal. I'll see next week when I'm on vacation and around lots of dinner parties with friends and bottles sitting in reach.

Comment

As you all say, we need to have a holistic approach. But I agree with Dr. A, who puts forth the idea that we are alkies BECAUSE of our underlying problems (i.e anxiety, depression, etc.) -- He had these conditions long before he became an alcoholic. I had the same experience. We were self-medicating.

The thing is, in order to be able to treat those underlying problems, we need to get off the alcohol first. Getting your body off alcohol is the FIRST step towards becoming a whole person again. We can't do it whilst drinking.

But when you get to the point where you really are AF and plan to remain that way, THEN it's time to look at other aspects of the alcoholic puzzle. I believe this includes almost everything else in your life, from lifestyle (diet, exercise, sleep patterns, etc.) to the spiritual side (which is very different from person to person, but important for everyone).
                  Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Beatle, well said !!! The (puzzle thought gave me shivers...SO TRUE ) !!!
                    I agree !!! Get rid of alcohol and the real work begins..........but until you get rid of AL very little progress can be made toward healing !!!

Comment

Something interesting (and strange) from Wikepedia:

"...he (Dr A) called for clinical trials to test elimination of craving using baclofen at high-dose. In 2008, he wrote a best-selling book, "The End Of My Addiction", Le Dernier Verre (The Last Glass), describing his experience. His treatment model is now in widespread use, despite the fact that randomized trials have not been completed."

What do I think is strange about this?:

Is his model really in "widespread use"? Certainly not in Scandinavia or the U.S. (this I can say from extensive experience). And is it a "best-selling book"? I doubt it (unless you only take into account the members of MWO).

(And why didn't they use "The Last Glass" as the title in English?)
                      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Beatle,

Unfortunately, Wikipedia should not be used as a reference for factual information.

I read it occasionally but then go on to Google anything it has stated to see how good the information truly is.

I am with you. Widespread use? Where? A bestseller? Not sure about that, either.

I love the internet but do miss the "good old days" when things were at least researched before published. There are very few editors on the internet.

Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

BTW, Yet another AF day under my belt and done with ease.

Thanks to Baclofen.

Cindi
                          AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Yes, you are right Cindi. Somebody just wrote that article, and nobody is confirming the "facts". Of course, you can (and are encouraged to) challenge whatever is written there, but most people don't bother unless it is a matter of great and passionate importance to them (so maybe I should do it?). Everything should be taken with a grain of salt, right?

But this is from the horse's mouth:

FAQ | Olivier Ameisen, MD

Comment

withdrawn

Comment

What I find incredible about the publication of the good doctor's book is how the internet has "overtaken science". I am in contact with doctors frequently because of the nature of my work. Not one of them has heard of the uses of baclofen in treating cravings. They have all been rather sceptical.

I have not read the book yet, but I did see an article about the book in a popular magazine. I was on holiday and someone had given me the magazine for relaxation time. When I saw the article, it sounded just to good to be true. Now after trying baclofen, I am just amazed.

Comment

Working...
                                X