Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Just would like share an email that I had with Dr. Olivier Ameisen, the father of Bac

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just would like share an email that I had with Dr. Olivier Ameisen, the father of Bac

Long Road;674289 wrote: Would it be sensible to switch from Naltrexone which is primary metabolised heptamatically to Baclofen which is not changed at all but passes through the kidneys?
    I am not an expert on liver function, Im a heart guy (how am I supposed to look smart if no one asks about the hear dangit) , but most drugs are metabolized by the liver, I am not aware specifically of any issue of naltrexone and discontinuing it b/c of liver problems. I simply do not know. I do know that poor liver function must be taken into consideration as their is an enzyme section of the liver and poor hepatic function can change elimination periods of many drugs which can cause a build up the drug due to poor elimination.

That of course depends on your hepatic function done via bloodwork by a physician trained to interpret the results. And liver function can indicate a problem or they simply could just be elevated with good liver function. Likewise liver function can be impaired and still have normal bloodwork.
    Case in point, I did bloodwork last Saturday. It showed my AST and ALT were elevated along with my creatine phsphokinase mainly from working out whcih can bump off the kidneys. Didnt care about my liver values as I dont drink and havent for months. I was worried about my kidneys being damaged.
    Did a comprehensive metabolic panel. My cpk was back to normal. My personal physician got a copy cc'd of my bloodwork and wants me to do a complete hepatic panel. I am still not worried but going to just test out milk thistle in myself to see if it improves funciton. I think my liver function is ok and just for some reason elevated. I wouldnt be surprised if I have damaged my liver, but its a very forgiving organ and the best thing I can do, is what I am doing and not drinking and continuing the baclofen..

The reason why I would switch to baclofen isnt so much of liver function. Its to switch to something that prevents drinking. Drinking is what messes up the liver. And from what I have gather baclofen is more effective and completely cessating alcohol use once a motivated individual reaches the magic dose based on them, high enough to flip the switch.
    It would be impossible via the internet to know how your liver is functioning, that has to be done with your physician and one blood test is nothing to go by, means nothing actually just says "yes or no, we have to investigate further".
    I dont know if Nal effects the liver, I wouldnt think so. But one thing for certain we know, is that the alcohol is toxic to the liver.So in order to protect your liver if that is the goal. Then baclofen is a more effective agent at protecting the liver as it is a more effective agent and completely cessating patients from continuously harming the liver with the caustic alcohol it has to breakdown.

Bottom line: switch to baclofen if nal isnt working for you and you are still drinking, no need to switch if nal is working for you.

I should add, I am baclofen guy because it completely stopped this hopeless alcoholic from drinking and killing myself. I mean, zipp, nada, the big goosegg when it comes to wanting to drink. So I almost universally going to recommend baclofen as I am biased and plus, the constant messages of success I have received, several from people who are lurking and never posted publicly telling me, in one individual was drinking 25-30 beers a night. Stumbled onto the forum, ordered baclofen and one week later completely quit alcohol use after a multi-decadde and progressive drinking history.

Comment

Long Road;674289 wrote: Would it be sensible to switch from Naltrexone which is primary metabolised heptamatically to Baclofen which is not changed at all but passes through the kidneys?
      LR,
      I though you had an haemitological condtion that procludes it
      ? You're talking about a blood disorder. I've never heard of such a disorder precluding baclofen, especially if the alternative is ethanol. Please add any further clues you might have. Thanks.

Comment

Still checking with my haematologist Bernard. Worried about the H2N outlier. But shouldn't be a problem. The major problem would to be to get it off label.
        Long Road
        Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission--
        Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Long Road;674603 wrote: Still checking with my haematologist Bernard. Worried about the H2N outlier. But shouldn't be a problem. The major problem would to be to get it off label.
          Visit Dr. Ameisen's FAQ section of his website. FAQ | Olivier Ameisen, MD It covers off label prescribing, print that out and take it to your physician. Or better yet, bring in a copy of his book along with it.
          It's new and as I told you I think it will be the gold standard of treatment within a decade.
          And I bet 10 years from now, half of all doctors still wont know a think about baclofen as they arent paying attention to new stuff like they should

Comment

Thanks Bill
            Fortunately I went through Uni with my GP who is a close friend. I just need to ensure that his back is covered
            Long Road
            Nobody can make you feel inferior without your permission--
            Eleanor Roosevelt

Comment

Bill.P.;674604 wrote:
              It's new and as I told you I think it will be the gold standard of treatment within a decade.
              And I bet 10 years from now, half of all doctors still wont know a think about baclofen as they arent paying attention to new stuff like they should
              It's a great thing, almost a miracle (but not yet -- not until it is accepted by the medical monopoly). I am afraid you are right-- that doctors are not paying attention... why not???
              Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Beatle, I am not sure how things work in your country, but here the pharmaceutical companies push newer drugs. Bac is an old drug and possibly not a money spinner. That is my more cynical view.

I also think that doctors unfortunately subscribe to the old prejudice that says we "bring this on ourselves". There is not enough vested interest in either group.

Comment

Dr Ameisen

Hi, can anyone give me contact details to Dr Ameisen, ie email address or phone number ?. Thank you in anticipation

Comment

Ofoee;676322 wrote: Hi, can anyone give me contact details to Dr Ameisen, ie email address or phone number ?. Thank you in anticipation
                    I don't have any of that info, and I also agree with Zen about giving out personal info.

But, if you go to his website you will see a form for contacting him by email. It doesn't give an email address, but if you fill out the form he will get your message.

I sent him one a while ago, but he never responded. I'm sure he gets a ton of email, so I wouldn't expect a reply. Bill.P. got a response, though, so it's worth a try (I'm not sure if this was the method he used, however).

Here's a link to the contact page on his website.

Comment

Wow, that email was very encouraging! Thanks so much for sharing, Bill P!

I'm just up to 40 mg/day now.

Comment

Working...
                      X