Consolidated Baclofen Success Thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Eak! Great post! It's sure to give encouragement to many. Thanks!

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

Lusus and Eak, thank you so much for sharing your experiences! Wow! I am so encouraged!
      Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Eak,

That is just what I wanted to hear! Stories like that are what I was hoping for when I started this thread.

Many thanks.

Comment

It's 2:30 PM and I just realized that I forgot to take my Naltrexone dose today -- first time I've done that but no noticable difference whatsoever in how I feel. I believe that the Baclofen alone now is what is doing the job. I think I'll continue to skip the Naltrexone and see if that's the case.

Comment

eakarno,

My understanding is that Naltrexone as an anti-craving drug is very ineffective.

However, as a drug used for extinction, it is wonderful.

I am considering getting a script for myself. But, I would only take it if I were planning on drinking. That is how Naltrexone works.

Google the Sinclair Method and Naltrexone and you should get some great info on it.

I plan on never drinking again but it would be really nice to have in my back pocket as a fall back and use it in conjunction with the Baclofen.

Let me know what you think after you have read up on it.

Cindi
            AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Cindi,

I agree that taken alone, Naltrexone is next to useless as an anti-craving tool, or for mitigating withdrawal symptoms. I had tried that and it was like almost like taking a placebo - as opposed to Campral, which was exactly like taking a placebo. I think it helped me get "over-the-hump" in the first week or so of being AF, however, because I knew that if I did sneak a a few quick drinks I wouldn't get the immediate euphoric rush and relief that I was craving. At this point, I don't think I need that crutch anymore.

Though I have no desire to drink at the moment, I am curious to see if I can drink moderately, like a "normal" person, at this point. That would be nice. Oh heck, let's all admit it, that is every alcohol addict's dream. When the time comes, I will give it a shot and let everyone know how that works out.

Comment

I'm sorry, I haven't read the last few posts. I need to get to bed now, but I am feeling so down, I wanted to post this:

I have never felt so enthusiastic and certain about how this is working and will work. I am still at a low dose, and still feeling very good effects.

However, nobody around me (save one) seems to share my new hope and enthusiasm. I understand that they feel they have been misled or disappointed too many times.

I am so so so sure this is going to work. It's working already.

Why am I so bitter now?
                Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

beatle. If you are like me, those around you have probably heard many times how you are going to quit or moderate by doing this or that and then back to the old drinking again! I am speaking for myself, not you. I know that my husband (and probably my daughter) who are the only 2 people who know what I am doing are skeptical of the whole bac thing. I can't really blame them. Just keep going Your actions will speak the loudest.....

Comment

beatle;695931 wrote: I'm sorry, I haven't read the last few posts. I need to get to bed now, but I am feeling so down, I wanted to post this:

I have never felt so enthusiastic and certain about how this is working and will work. I am still at a low dose, and still feeling very good effects.

However, nobody around me (save one) seems to share my new hope and enthusiasm. I understand that they feel they have been misled or disappointed too many times.

What the f#*@%? ...As if I haven't?

I am so so so sure this is going to work. It's working already.

Why am I so bitter now?
                    Beatle,

I know you are not a demonstrative person by nature, but I am sending you hugs. :l:l

Those who have been disappointed and saddened by your addiction in the back of their mind think that this addiction is a choice. That we choose to be alcoholics.

They are right that we have chosen to drink over abstinence, but they do not realize the internal struggle and just how d@mn hard it is to stay AF. If they knew, they would be even more scared than they are now. Let's keep them ignorant, shall we?

What matters is that you know you are going to beat this. I have so much faith that this is going to work for you because it has worked for me. You and I are so similar as drinkers and both have suffered the same disappointments and struggles. Yet we both continue to fight. Because we are strong willed women and we both know we want to beat this thing.

My family thought I was whacko when I started this therapy. Only my psychiatrist was willing to try it. God Bless her.

It was a few days ago that hubby and I were talking and he looked up at me with wide eyes and said, "You know? It has been a long time since you drank, hasn't it?" He is shocked I have made it this far without getting drunk.

I just smiled. It felt good to see him finally start to have a wee bit of hope.

However, that is when I told him that once I had a full year's sobriety under my belt, I would be cautiously optimistic. He just smiled back.

But, he is starting to relax a bit. He doesn't call me at all times of day to see if I am drunk, he doesn't panic if I go out shopping and don't get home on time, he is beginning to feel like I can be trusted again.

It is a good feeling.

My alcoholism has almost destroyed a marriage of 34 years. I am cautiously optimistic that I can get his trust back.

But more importantly, I am optimistic that I can trust me again. That means more than the marriage, the children and the grandchildren's trust. I am starting to like myself again. I am, for the first time in years, optimistic.

I hope and pray so much that you are able to get where I am today very soon. I want this for you, too.

Love,
                    Cindi
                    AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Eak, thank you for your post. It's all of these posts that I've been reading for the last few days that have given me so much hope with bac. I've just started yesterday and I look forward to feeling like a normal person. As with Dr. Ameisen, I've struggled with severe anxiety for over two decades, long before alcohol became a problem for me. I look forward to that relief as well.

Cindi, the trust issue is so important. My husband lost his trust in me so many times as well as my son, and my parents. It's heartbreaking. The past few years, I didn't trust myself as well. Was afraid I'd do something I'd regret . . . same ol' story. I want that back. From those that love me and myself. I want to feel whole and worthy. I want to gain confidence in myself. I don't want it to be too late. I always ask God, "Please, don't let it be too late for my life to begin."

I was just reading about Dr. Ameisen on the net. He was on Good Morning America on Jan. 14, 2009. Diane Sawyer interviewed him. If I had some decent tech. skills, I'd hyperlink it or whatever it's called. Sorry!

Beatle, it's gonna work.
                      Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

working!

Beatle, I feel the same as you, it IS WORKING.................I feel as though the bac has worked at low dose of 20 mg/3 x day, jumped up to 30mg 3 x day and now am going back down to 20, just to see if that is what is disturbing my sleep, stay there if so, for a while, then jump back up to 30, then keep titrating, though I feel it is working at this low dose!!

day 3 AF, w/ the bac, I know it will happen.........................

Eak, I feel the same about taking Naltrexone and Campral, placebos both of them!! I think neither worked for Dr. Ameison either, can't wait to receive the book, will try to find his interview on GMA too, thanks for that J..................:thanks:

lots of love, off to the hell-hole for another 11-12 hours .........................aauuuuurgh!! No wonder I drank!!!??

MA:h
                        :rays:My happiness is my greatest gift to others:rays:eace:

Comment

Eak, you mention you were also on Xanax. Did you take both Xanax and Baclofen together and exactly how did you schedule getting off the Xanax? I am on something similar and if Naltrexone does not work for me soon I would like to try but afraid of too many drugs at once. Can you please advise!

Comment

Yes, Campral and Naltrexone did nothing for me. Maybe all of our brains are wired the same. Who knows!

Cowgirl that's great. You are doing so well.

Beatle sounds like you are doing better, but don't let others squash your confidence that you are fighting to be well. Just keep plugging along.

Cindi, I am so happy that your life is turning around. I am very optimistic.

Comment

Oh BTW, I actually send Dr. A an email and told him I was with the MWO baclofen crowd. I also said that we all appreciate his courage and perseverance. It is working for so many.

He actually emailed me back and said thank you and keep him posted. I don't know, I guess I feel like I've conversed with a rock star. LOL

Comment

Good for you Cowgirl. I'm AF day 4 and bac. day 3. I'll be moving up to 30 mg. tomorrow.

Last night I didn't sleep as well as the first night. Don't know why. I was reading Dr. A's book, then put it down to go to bed and just couldn't get thoughts off my mind. I was thinking of all the successes here. Then a thought came across my mind. What if, just what if they find something bad with this medication. What if it works for awhile then becomes ineffective. Stupid thoughts, but my mind wouldn't stop. I usually take adivan to sleep, but since I started the bac. I decided I would not and suck it up if I don't sleep. Well, I'm sucking it up.

Brightlight, that's so cool! He is a rock star.
                                Sometimes what you're most afraid of doing is the very thing that will set you free.

Comment

Working...
                                X