Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Naltrexone less than an hour before drinking?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

it is probably a little of both. My honeymoon lasted about 5 days. Try taking it earlier than an hour, I think that is better than less than an hour. Most of us drink for much longer than an hour any way. Good Luck!
    Hanging

Comment

TSM is about changing wiring in the brain, over a period of time and a hundred or hundreds of iterations - not directly affecting your drinking on a per-incident basis. Don't worry about it; just resolve to wait an hour from now on.

To be honest, when I felt backed into a corner once or twice, I crushed the Nal before taking it, in hopes of speeding absorption up. It tasted REALLY FOUL. That helped remind me to never do that again.
      Sinclair Method experience - week by week

Comment

PlainVanilla;803532 wrote: TSM is about changing wiring in the brain, over a period of time and a hundred or hundreds of iterations - not directly affecting your drinking on a per-incident basis. Don't worry about it; just resolve to wait an hour from now on.

To be honest, when I felt backed into a corner once or twice, I crushed the Nal before taking it, in hopes of speeding absorption up. It tasted REALLY FOUL. That helped remind me to never do that again.
        Absolutely agree with your first sentence PlainVanilla (also nice to see another welcome face from the forum I used to be active on )!

I also agree, don't over-worry about it Better, but try to do it as little as possible. Without your endorphin receptors fully blocked, you're undoing at least some of the extinguishing that Nal has already accomplished - you're going backwards in the process!

(It's especially dangerous I believe if you're not a daily drinker and you've 'washed' Nal out of your system for a day or two. Your endorphin receptors are super-sensitive at this point and will be extra-reinforcing any pleasurable behaviour - so if that is an endorphin rush from drinking, it's obviously not good!)

Not a bad idea to crush up the Nal at all from PV either if you find yourself desperate, to metabolise it quicker, but we really mustn't make it an excuse not to try to wait the full hour.

I'm as guilty as anyone of much of this by the way - apart from the not being a daily drinker, to my shame, because I am - but I try to avoid it absolutely wherever possible.

Best of luck to you

I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

I think that if you take the Nal and drink immediately, of course it won't have time to get into your system and do it's job....which is block those receptors. It is my feeling that you do yourself a disservice if you don't wait at least the full hour...even 1 1/2 hours to be sure. When you drink without those receptors being blocked you are in fact reinforcing them, making them stronger again and setting yourself back as far as a cure goes. I'm still new to Nal and TSM, but that makes sense to me....hopefully some "cured" member will give us their thoughts.

Everything I need is within me!

Comment

You are quite right brightlite, although I don't think the 'cured' can have any insight that the 'uncured' don't have. The science is pretty straightforward.

Of course, we all metabolise differently, but the hour mark is a useful thing to aim for for everyone as it's so easily understandable
            I don't come here much anymore but you can always mail me at rotunda 2000 at hotmail dot com (no spaces). Might be able to help with Bac emergencies

Comment

I have a watch with a countdown timer that I used in the early days when I was really antsy to get started. It was very helpful for developing (and enforcing) the discipline to wait.
              Sinclair Method experience - week by week

Comment

I have also been guilty of not waiting the full hour...what others told me was don't worry about it but don't mkae it a habit. I usually wait over an hour just to be sure....A small price to pay for not returning to hell on earth

Comment

I just wanted to say, this Friday I took the Naltrexone over an hour before drinking and left the pub at a normal time (6 in the morning on Saturday). There were other factors too (the other main ones being eating before drinking and a change of venue), but I can still say the Naltrexone definitely worked better this week than it did last week. Phew!

Comment

I saw at some places that you could take Nal also half an hour before drinking. I think Dr. Eskapa referenced that somewhere.

If I was you, I would stick with 1 hour, and only in total exceptions take it just shortly before. If you can try to wait at least 30 minutes!
                    since 23. Apr 2009 : TSM - failed to reduce units
                    since 08. Jan 2010 : Naltrexone + Baclofen combination therapy
                    reborn since 16. Jan 2010 : Alcohol Free (AF) - only taking Baclofen
                    since 22. May 2010 : Baclofen against anxiety/fear
                    since 14. Mar 2011 : off Baclofen - taking 25mg Topamax/day

My stats :
                    http://www.baclofen-forum.com/stats/craving/

Comment

Working...
                    X