Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Dr Olivier Ameisen (part 2 of my message)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr Olivier Ameisen;830641 wrote: If I may make a suggestion, I believe that it would probably be most productive for you (and for them) to contact the French forum that has become very well structured and organized. (my emphasis). The name of the forum is: “alcool et baclofene”: Alcool et baclofene and the forum is Baclofene

The person you should contact is “Anuck” because he is fluent in English. His email address is: jpr1@romandie.com ... On the website “alcool et baclofene”, one physician responds to all patients’ questions.

It is crucial for you to understand that this fight for your survival and for your dignity, or for that of your loved ones is in your hands
    (my emphasis) and to continue your remarkable work.

Warm regards to all,
    Olivier Ameisen, M.D.
Visiting Professor of Medicine
    State University of New York Downstate Medical Center

PS In the next few days (date still to be scheduled), I shall be talking about my book and my discovery on a radio show in the US, along with a few patients who are cured and are going to go by their full name, as well as two physicians who have cured many patients using my method. One is a professor of psychiatry and neuroscience. The other one is an addiction psychiatrist. It is critical that patients start disclosing their names and accept to appear on TV, as has happened in France, Germany and Brazil. This contributes to eliminate the shame, the stigma that are associated with this disease and that limit the struggle against this disease. Who is afraid of somebody who does not dare showing his face, giving his full name?

For those interested in taking a look at my publications in peer-reviewed medical journals, please visit PubMed, the official Website of the U.S. National Library of Medicine and of the National Institutes of Health PubMed home.
    To me, this and other sentences in his other missive (part 1), clearly indicate that he is suggesting ways for us to help that do not involve him. He never asks us to, or even indicates he wants us to, contact him directly. In fact, it feels like he is distancing himself from us by telling us all he is doing, indicating how busy he is, but that he is kindly sharing with us what is happening, to reassure us, but certainly not looking for input... for that, he refers us to someone else.

Also, he begins the first message with: (sorry, I still can't manage double quotes)

"I have adopted a policy to not intervene in forums because these are yours and should remain so. But I thought it might be help stimulate the debate. "

To me, this is also a message of distancing himself from individual interaction with him, whilst encouraging us to continue. And why shouldn't he? He is a very busy man, and he sees our forum as having a life of its own, and doesn't want to interfere. We are not made to feel he wants our input in any way. Bothering him with PMs and emails wuold be inappropriate and bothersome at best.

There are other parts of his messages that give this nuance -- a pedagogic update, much needed and very reassuring, but no personal element meant to draw people in individually.

Now, of course he is a person, and as such, human, and he can expect things without realizing how he should communicate that, he can be disappointed that more people didn't contact him after his long messages (probably not so easy for him to write in English).

(Now if you say he has to write in English all the time, he is an internationally renowned doctor submitting papers in English to journals all over the world, then you would be forgetting that he has editors for those kinds of things, while this message came directly from him... from his heart, and he wouldn't have editors for a personal message.)

And being human, he can also change his mind, or regret not being more inviting, or just not understand how come people got the feeling he didn't want direct contact. (because maybe he didn't want it before, but he does now?)

The whole point of this post is to show that at no point does Dr. encourage us to contact him personally, and while certain "take the bull by the horns" people like Neva Eva have had the guts to do it, and then, to her (and our) surprise was answered and in fact engaged in a dialog with him, most of us would hesitate because of the reasons given above (the content of his messages and how he expresses himself together with our reluctance to bother the great man, who is, after all THE great leader for us.)

In fact, I think many people also hesitated to contact Dr. L for similar reasons, and, as mentioned by many here, they didn't want to inundate him with calls. There was never even any talk about fees, at first, and people indicated he did this out of the good of his heart (which I still believe he does -- he just understandably needs to be compensated for the huge amount of time he gives to us).

...another long-winded repetitive, probably incomprehensible post.:sigh:
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

You are absolutely right on all counts, beatle.

I admired him for his lack of direct involvement, and lauded him for it on many occasions on these boards. There is their oath, of course, that makes it impossible to give medical advice without medical treatment of a patient.
      There are many, many other reasons for doctors to stay in the background and learn from this just as we are. Or keep an eye on erroneous information that may affect their patient's well being.

I've changed my mind, obviously, in this instance. For many reasons. Some of which I've shared. I stand by that.
      I welcome the dialogue, though, too. I tend to decide on a course of action that is not always the most positive one, but tends to be expedient. Or feels that way. There are many ways to share the information, to communicate with people about this, that I haven't thought of yet.
      Can we move these posts to the other thread so as to keep the dialogue rolling in one place? Or is this a better place?
      K/Ne

Comment

necessary bump
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Hmmm, I've had a good look at the other forum he mentions, unfortunately it seems to have been shut down for some reason. There's still some good info there though.

Comment

wow. wonder what that means? A good excuse to contact him?

Comment

eldanielese;1056316 wrote: I read "Heal Thyself" (downloaded from Kindle, by the way) with extraordinary interest. I too am a health professional who could identify completely with Dr. Ameisen's double dilemma: his own alcoholism and his plight in finding the appropriate treatment for complete suppression. I belong to the roughly 10% who have reached sobriety through AA. I definitely know that I could never have done this without their support. It took me about 4 years of complete abstinence and hundreds of meetings to become indifferent to alcohol. I have not had a drink now for 24 years. In spite of my gratitude to AA, I never could swallow the idea of "character defects " or moral arguments thing as being involved in the etiology. Two simple questions immediately demolish this strange credo: a) ?What character defects or Freudian fixations do certain strains of rats have to make them alcoholics in a lab setting? Can an alcoholic drink normally if he rids himself of his "character flaws?" I am very interested in finding out if anyone out there has experienced treating the primary condition of dysphoria (anxiety+depression+insomnia) of the long term abstinent alcoholic with Baclofen. I have no interest in being able to drink "normally." My dysphoria is still a problem. And remains untreated.
              I don't actually believe rats can become 'alcoholics' in the same way as humans do. Most animals don't have our higher levels of reasoning, most behaviours are learnt via training or instinct. I would think the rats were simply drink-dependent, similar to classic heavy drinkers in humans in that they can stop if required, without a massive mental or emotional struggle every minute of every day.

I am continuing with my counselling because I know I have a tendency towards the problems you describe, there are other things I need to fix but others here say that once you are sober on Baclofen you don't need to look at any of these issues. Implying it fixes those elements.

Comment

Ukblonde;1062192 wrote: I don't actually believe rats can become 'alcoholics' in the same way as humans do. Most animals don't have our higher levels of reasoning, most behaviours are learnt via training or instinct. I would think the rats were simply drink-dependent, similar to classic heavy drinkers in humans in that they can stop if required, without a massive mental or emotional struggle every minute of every day.

I am continuing with my counselling because I know I have a tendency towards the problems you describe, there are other things I need to fix but others here say that once you are sober on Baclofen you don't need to look at any of these issues. Implying it fixes those elements.
                i have never seen this written on any baclofen thread. In fact, I have only heard the opposite: that you need to get sober first, so that you are able to deal with your problems.

Can you refer me to a thread or a post in which

Ukblonde;1062192 wrote:
                others here say that once you are sober on Baclofen you don't need to look at any of these issues. Implying it fixes those elements.
                I'd be very interested.

Comment

It was a post of mine which was replied to I think by Loop, but I've deleted the posts after another member kept pointing out I was constantly making rude and offensive statements, and advised me to get rid of some. So I thought it best to remove them all and start again.

So I can't give a link and this is from memory, I think I was saying I was using a lot of tools alongside the bac including support from a counsellor which least would help me deal with some issues I had which I covered up with alcohol. Whoever it was I'm pretty sure said that once you stop drinking using Bac/hit the switch this is enough for most people to live a happy life.

I suppose the emphasis is on 'most' really.

Comment

Another very deliberate and well thought out bump.

Comment

Hello,
                      I am French & this is my first post here.
                      The website Olivier Ameisen referred to is still working. I Joined it a month & a half ago, on bac 70mg for the last 3 weeks, which seems to be my "dose". No alcoohol anymore. But a big depression (and massive "sleep attacks") which are I think due to the events in my life for the last years and not to baclofen.
                      I found "my way out" while looking for answers on AD or other ways out of depression yesterday...
                      Have a hard time reading through the names of anti-depressants..mine is seroplex.. and I don't know if it's a SSRI (what does it stand for?)..

I tried to enter the French forum address, but can't get it accepted

Comment

Hi Florieanne,

Welcome.

I have tried that forum as well, when I tried it appeared to have stopped operating, and all the posts had been frozen some time before. Perhaps I need to try again.

I'm not too good with my anti-depressants (selective seratonin re-uptake inhibitors), but there are many people here who are, and someone will be able to help you. What is it you actually want to know regarding yours?

Baclofen can definitely cause sleep issues, either somnolence or insomnia.

Am I reading correctly that you have already hit your switch? If so, congratulations!

Comment

Hi bleep
                          The forum is "alcool and baclof?ne". You can also have an access to the forum through "Aubes", which is the name of the association created by 2 doctors, De Beaurepaire & Joussaume, to promote baclofen in France.
                          I've been very depressed since I hit my switch, in fact two weeks after I had started baclofen, unable to do do anything..I've have to go back to work tomorrow and just feel I can't..
                          I am on an SSRI ( just checked)...I wanted to know what an SSRI was since I read somewhere on you r forum that that type of AD didn't work well with baclofen..
                          One of the reasons I guess of my being so depressed is that I've made huge efforts to withdraw for the last three years helped by an alcohologist who works at the hospital where Ameisen used to go till he found the baclofen cure, in 2004...and I've never heard anyone say a word about it for the last 3 years...been attending all sort of activities, group works and so on and here I am, with a life all fucked up despite the great efforts of my shrink & I to get me out...talk cure twice a week which didn't get me out of alcohol, but helped me find a stable job two years ago, helped me gain a great deal of self-confi
                          ndence...except that two years of those efforts, while still on alcohol (evenings only) have very recently greatly endangered my professionnal situation...that's the moment when a friend told me to try baclo ...took me a week to convince my alcoohologist, who had at first refused.. and it jsut took two weeks with a rather low dose to get me out...but too late for my job..Which I still have but where I've lost all credibility...
                          I have had sleep attacks...falling alseep for 3 hours after taking 10mg...found a way out with olmifon, a psychostimulant 2 days ago with the help of the French forum members.

thanks a lot for your answer...
                          guess i just have to find another AD and another doc for prescriptions because mine doesn't konw anything about ADs..
                          Florie

Comment

Hey Florieanne,

I know what you mean about post-switch. While I'm certainly not depressed, there is a feeling of "what now?". Is your depression new, since hitting the switch, or is it a pre-existing condition?

The sleep attacks sound much more severe than simple somnolence, I'm glad you found something to stop them.

Are you not finding baclofen itself to be anxiolytic. I know a lot of people experienced that, but generally at higher doses than you seem to be on. If you are dropping off to sleep all the time though, this might not be a feasible answer. As I said in my earlier post, there are a lot of really knowledgeable people around here when it comes to this. None of them appear to be online at the moment, but I'm sure someone will have a solution shortly.

Just remember, as I'm sure you know, that none of the advice you'll receive here can replace proper medical advice!

I'll have to try that forum again, I must have been looking in the wrong place last time, thanks for that.

Comment

[quote]
                              Originally posted by Dr Olivier Ameisen View Post
                              they claim to now be able to convince nine out of ten general practitioners to prescribe a patient high-dose baclofen for alcohol dependence.

Its members are patients who are already cured or in the process, as well as general practitioners and psychiatrists who I have personally trained
                              The forum doesn't claim to convince 9 GPs out of ten. We have a hard time doing so and we rely on patients'good will and efforts to convince GP.
                              Dr Joussaume who founded the association to promote baclofen has done a real great job in doing so as well.
                              And on the forum we only have one GP, Dr Joussaume, who's helping us.
                              Florie

Comment

What is happening around baclofen is a good thing. I wish OA would just let it happen instead of doing what he is doing! I am going to look up to Dr. Joussaume now, because I need someone to look up to.

Tracy

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X