Bac and a cure and all that...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

There has been a lot of interesting interaction/conversation concerning baclofen as opposed to/together with Nal/Sinclair method.

Much of the conversation has been about the side effects of bac -- is it worth it?

Azuldog, and many others think not.

Some express the belief that despite the awful side-effects, it's better than the alternative. I think the ability to tolerate the side effects often depends on how terrible one's alcoholism has become, and how destroyed their lives are as a result.

Lo0p says:

"The Sinclair Method is the cure for alcoholism. Baclofen is a band-aid, a damn good one, but it's just a band-aid.

My opinion, but I also converse daily with people who have been cured. And I don't think I'm that far off myself. The baclofen makes it impossible to tell."

Azuldog is quitting because of the side effects.

Bright says:

"Of course we did forget abstinence as part of the "cure". Although some will disagree that you have to be abstinent to be cured.

I know there is a lot more to it than that and it is a disease. The neuropathways in the brain have been altered. Rehabilitation is needed. How to achieve that is a combination of factors and everyone is different. Nal and Bac certainly help to achieve or acquire a state of abstinence. The brain has been damaged, just like a liver can be damaged."

These are just some representatives of different inputs voiced here on this forum.

Basically, I think the consensus is that our alcoholism is a combination of physical/neurological/genetics together with circumstances -- in some cases deep anxiety (even more physical/neurological/genetics than alcoholism, and intimately related to alcoholism), and in some cases brought on by and/or exacerbated by trauma (sometimes minor, sometimes horrific).

I do believe Lo0p, and many other "younger" alcoholics can be "cured" through the Sinclair method, perhaps together with baclofen, perhaps on its own.

However, I believe a more "seasoned" alcoholic like myself, with a long history of alcohol abuse and severe anxiety since childhood, and with pretty major issues cannot be "cured" simply by brain chemistry re-wiring.

Baclofen does act as a "bandaid", as Lo0p says, but it may just be the bandaid people like me need to deal with the issues in our life that allowed our brain chemistry to take over when we were subjected to the difficulties life dealt us, however mild or severe.

Many people suffer much more horrific things than I have, and still don't become alcoholics. Many of them use alcohol to ease their pain -- and yet don't become dependent on alcohol. Why is that? Are we who succumb to alcohol weaker in spirit, less worthy as human beings?

Of course not. We were cursed with the physical/neurological/genetics that led to our alcoholism in response to our circumstances.

Yes, it is physical/neurological/genetics -- but for me, re-wiring my brain is not the most important thing. Easing the need for alcohol so I can face life, and deal with it, is what I need. A "cure", no matter whether it is abstinence by will power or brain-rewiring, is not so relevant to me as being rid of a physical need so that I can face my other needs.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

From everything that I've read so far, I believe the Sinclair Method helps for binge drinkers who do not drink permanently, while Bac works for ultra long term all day long and everyday strong alcoholics like myself who have a real neurological imbalance. But I may be wrong, I'll tell you when I reach a higher dose (I'm only at 50 mg of Bac so far with no effect whatsoever)

Comment

beatle;833641 wrote: Easing the need for alcohol so I can face life, and deal with it, is what I need.
      beatle,

Thanks for a thought-provoking thread.

Your sentence above expresses my sentiments entirely. That's why I continue with therapy. It's no quick-fix but I feel it's the right path for me. As a child/adolescent, I wasn't taught how to handle the many difficulties that life throws at us. Indeed, if I showed anger, for example, I would be severely reprimanded. End result? It all gets bottled up, shaken up and then, just like any bottle of fizzy drink, we all know what happens when the lid is removed.

V.
      "Love's the only engine of survival"

Leonard Cohen

Comment

Cat Juggling (The Jerk)

Beatle.........good post. What you say rings true. However, rarely is there just one thing to be done before the next thing can be done. Life has a way of demanding attention from all corners at the same time. Dr. A's story will become legendary. The saint who wondered lost in the desert for many a year and came back with the golden chalice. The magic bullet. I think Bernard posted a request to the good doctor to please tell us more about his side effects, why he took so long to ramp up, and other unanswered questions.

As you indicated age may be a factor. My own avenue, which I thought was Bac, is now closed as I said. The SE's are just not tolerable at my age and physical condition. I am going back to square one to revisit maladaptive emotional strategies, for I maybe able to garner some peace of mind. That's all I want before I die. "Time never matters and till it's running out".

best wishes,

dog

Comment

Hi Beatle and all. This is a good topic. I?m going on 2 months AF on baclofen. Unfortunately, when I reached 50 mg in tirating down, the cravings returned. So far I haven?t given in to it, in fact I increased my dosage back up to 70 mg. I can?t say that I?m too surprised: I?ve always known that this disease is a many headed monster. I also knew in my heart I knew one drug was never going to fix it all. Baclofen has given me much needed breathing room to figure what else I need to do. But this setback has really demoralized me. I?ve also noticed that I?ve become quite a sugar fiend the last month or so. It?s gotten to be a little ridiculous, so I?m trying to cut back on that as well. Has anyone else experienced this? Any advice? I could use some right about now!

Adzuldog, I?ve been reading your posts with a lot of interest. In one you wrote about how you plan on taking a behavioral approach with alcoholism and you mentioned the book, The Heart of Addiction by Dr. Lance Dodes. I looked it up on Amazon and read the first several pages. What little I read hit home. Especially the brief account that Dodes writes about concerning a man who had been sober for several months and finds himself stood up by his wife one afternoon on a street corner where they had arranged to meet. He had no way to get a hold of her and after an hour or two the helplessness got the best of him. He went across the street to a bar and drank. In recounting the story to Dodes the next day, they both realized that he began to feel better not when he actually took the drink, but at the precise moment he decided that he was going to cross the street and enter the bar. That really resonated with me. Dodes goes onto say, "Virtually every addictive act is preceded by a feeling of helplessness and powerlessness?addictive behavior functions to repair this underlying feeling of helplessness. It is able to do this because taking addictive action (or even deciding to take this action) creates a sense of being empowered, of regaining control over one?s emotional experience and one?s life."

HA! We're an interesting bunch, aren't we? Anyway, it's on my list. Please let us know how it goes for you Adzuldog. I'll be pulling for you.

Comment

What does addictive behavior do for you in the first place?

Hi Henrietta,

Yes, the first part of the book hits the nail on the head for me. It was reinforced by a conversation I had with my daughter last week. She is having marital trouble and at a certain point in the 'discussion' with her husband she just left the house and went out and got herself a pack of cigarettes (she had quit a year before). I asked her what was the emotion just before she left the house and she said, 'F-ck it!'. These are the very same words in the first story of the book. First comes a feeling of helplessness, then anger, and possibly rage but instead of recognizing these unacceptable emotions and finding a non self-destructive outlet we attempt to regain 'control' by indulging in whatever and at the same time feeling some pseudo-release. I know that has been my problem from the age of six. I was just waiting for my first drink at sixteen to reveal the magic key that would open my cage. It was a lie. Nevertheless, I only have a few years left to work towards some resolution and I aim to do so. Thanks for your reply to my post. I will post from time to time. Best of luck.

azuldog

Comment

Henrietta,

I had 3 1/2 mths AF. I went to 140...then down to 50 too quickly, went off the rails. Now back at 120 and going real well. I doubt I will ever go under 80 again. I will be staying above 100 for a while too.

Bac really works for me.

Comment

Henrietta;833990 wrote: ...What little I read hit home. Especially the brief account that Dodes writes about concerning a man who had been sober for several months and finds himself stood up by his wife one afternoon on a street corner where they had arranged to meet. He had no way to get a hold of her and after an hour or two the helplessness got the best of him. He went across the street to a bar and drank. In recounting the story to Dodes the next day, they both realized that he began to feel better not when he actually took the drink, but at the precise moment he decided that he was going to cross the street and enter the bar....
                Way back, maybe 10-15 years ago, I read about a study which followed fetuses, and how they reacted to the mother when she smoked or drank alcohol. They used what looked like a coloured ultrasound to track the changes in the fetus as the mother smoked or drank. Then, they had the women just THINK about smoking or drinking, but not do it... and they observed the SAME changes (maybe a little weaker?) in the fetus.
                Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

I just want to thank Beetle for taking the time to share his (why do I assume a beetle is male?) insights and board observations. That's a more organized mind than I have going on right on.

I believe from everything that I've experienced and read that some kind of cognitive therapy is critical to supporting any efforts we're experimenting with pharmacologically but the bigger question for me is how do you really find that great therapist? I've met a few -- and they are "old school", condescending, weird... I don't know. I am fortunate to have resources available to me and yet, I cannot find a therapeutical situation that meets my needs. In all honesty, this board has better therapy than any of the alternatives I just mentioned.

I think it would be helpful to start naming doctors *we* like by geographic location. Wow... I actually know a Psychiatrist that does a good majority of his business online. He's more of a drug dealer than a therapist but in his world, the phone is a powerful tool. I don't know, I think I need to look into a person's eyes get into the root of my problems.

Anyway... Sincere thanks to all of you that give back to the board the way you do.

HP

Comment

Beatle,

I am not so pessimestic, and hope that baclofen is more than a bandaid. As I discussed on the TSM site, I am hopeful that baclofen might produce gaba_a extinction just as TSM does for the endorphin response.

I have done TSM for 6 weeks, and over 5 weeks TSM + baclofen. I am a daily drinker with weekly units that are still too high, which hopefully is a good thing. When or if I ever find the switch, I will titrate back down with a goal to be AF 3-4 days/week but no more. This might require a maintenence dose of baclofen, and naltrexone only on non-AF days one hour before drinking. A really successful result would be if I only had to take baclofen and naltrexone on the non-AF days. If I can get there and stay there for a good long time, I would like to eventually be AF forever.

Best,
                    -wort
                    TSM started 1/22/2010; Wks 1-6: 78u/wk
                    Baclofen + TSM started 3/5/10; Wks 7-25: 52u/wk
                    Alcohol free and indifferent since 7/15/2010

Comment

hopefulspirit;836245 wrote: I just want to thank Beetle for taking the time to share his (why do I assume a beetle is male?) insights and board observations. That's a more organized mind than I have going on right on.

I believe from everything that I've experienced and read that some kind of cognitive therapy is critical to supporting any efforts we're experimenting with pharmacologically but the bigger question for me is how do you really find that great therapist? I've met a few -- and they are "old school", condescending, weird... I don't know. I am fortunate to have resources available to me and yet, I cannot find a therapeutical situation that meets my needs. In all honesty, this board has better therapy than any of the alternatives I just mentioned.

I think it would be helpful to start naming doctors *we* like by geographic location. Wow... I actually know a Psychiatrist that does a good majority of his business online. He's more of a drug dealer than a therapist but in his world, the phone is a powerful tool. I don't know, I think I need to look into a person's eyes get into the root of my problems.

Anyway... Sincere thanks to all of you that give back to the board the way you do.

HP
                      Thank you for your kind words.

I agree with you about therapy being critical (at least for myself, and many others, I believe, although not necessarily everyone).

I have a terrific therapist, but it took me a good long time and a lot of money before I found her. I tried both men and women of varying specialties (addiction, anxiety, cognitive, tappers, etc.) .

The first man I tried was great -- I thought, until I realized he was just a great guy and we were like buddies, talking about hobbies and odd habits, movies and mothers... but he wasn't helping me much in the insight department... too bad he was my therapist for a few weeks--I would have liked to be his friend.

I also had an awful guy -- he could only offer me advice about which herbs to take (all of which I knew already) and urge me to go to AA.

I had a couple completely irrelevant woman, who didn't seem to know very much about addiction treatment (even though that was their "specialty"). I felt like I was paying them so that I could teach them things they should know.

I also had a horrific therapist who thought the best way to treat me was to make me feel guilty and even more regretful/remorseful than I was. She gave me lectures about how alcoholics ruin their families, and their children grow up damaged, etc. -- not exactly new information to me -- only a true masochist or idiot would pay money for that.

Four years down the road, I found someone I liked from the beginning and our relationship has grown over the past couple years.

So I encourage you to not give up. But in order to save money, I advise that you don't go back after one session unless you have a pretty good feeling about the person.

And yes, this board is great therapy, and a fantastic resource -- you make friends, exchange information, help each other out -- but it's not the same as personal one-on-one therapy. I think they are both necessary, and fill each other out.

Comment

I agree with Beatle: in my case, a mere re-wiring isn't going to sort me out and enable me to declare that I've been "cured"

I am getting definite benefits from my weekly sessions with my therapist . She is a Jungian analyst, and also combines it with Cognitive Behaviour Threapy (CBT). For more info: Jungian Psychoanalysis - Jungian Analysis, Therapy

Thing is, my addiction might be classified as a disease treatable with medication (baclofen), but the underlying reasons that got me on the path to drinking in the 1st place are still there. Those are the demons I am learning to deal with.
                        I'll do whatever it takes
                        AF 21/08/2009

Comment

Trip,
                          Thank you for the link. Do you mind sharing what your therapists position is on addiction? From my research, it sounds like Jung's position on addiction was rather harsh. I did find one listed on this site locally that includes addiction on his profile website.

Anyway, who couldn't benefit from good counseling?
                          HP

Comment

Hey, hopeful

My therapist hasn't been judgmental or dismissive in any way. Quite the opposite: she was (and is) very supportive & encouraging. She was amazed when I told her about MWO & baclofen. Her reaction stands in stark contrast to that of my psychiatrist (since ditched) who filed Dr. A case study at the back of my file, agreed to treat me for depression even though I take bac and promptly lost interest in how I became sober... He then proceeded to spew forth typical "old-school" stuff: I shouldn't be drinking rock shandies when I go to dinner, because it contains AL. He couldn't answer me when I asked if I could keep on using mouthwash and cough syrup... He also wanted me to go to AA.

(apologies - a quick rant was unavoidable - most psychiatrists suck, IMO)

Interestingly enough, my addiction doesn't feature very high on the agenda during my sessions. Instead, we trace how my childhood experiences have shaped who I am and how, mostly unconsciously, my actions / reactions and depression can be traced back to that. I know it sounds a bit trite and obvious when described like that. It is actually bloody hard work but the rewards are significant as well. To get the most out of it, you have to have a level of self-awareness that doesn't always come easily...
                            I'll do whatever it takes
                            AF 21/08/2009

Comment

hi beatle,it is a good thread,hard to comment,tho,alchohol versus pills,cure i dont no if there really is one,a lot of the people that say there is,are not with addiction,never mind being a drug addict,or an alchoholic,as you kinda said in your 2nd or 3rd line ? a gentleman who says he s alchoholic,works in a hospital,the floor he worked on.was for young and old alike,he called it the overdoer floor,some got there on there own abuses,and some thro long turm presciptions,over use,they were all dying,im still trying to figure it out,as of rt now im not over doing,to me thats good enuff,im on no pills,i beleive more today,where theeres a will to do,theres a way to solve it,and then i have you folks,gyco

Comment

Working...
                              X