New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I didn't care for the L-Glut - didn't seem to do anything for me at all. I have also decided to stop with the brandy and coffee - had one today after Hubs left for work - def. not a good sign - it wasn't even bedtime! SO, that is it people - from now on I am AF!!!!! NO MORE. I have no excuses and am taking the Topa so I shouldn't need/want the AL - it is just a habit with me so I am NOT drinking any more of it. It is POISON. Right. Got that out of my system. Going to have a shower.

Hugs to all,

sun xx
    How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Good for you Sun! Keep us posted!!:goodjob:
      Houtx - how many mgs are you on now?
      This will be day 3 of 50 for me. The foggy brain is still raging for me and I'm super short tempered with my kids :upset: (trying to stop, close my eyes and count to 10 when at all possible) but I do finally see a reduction in the desire for AL. Not gone for sure but I'm drinking less and less wine. Did try a sip of hubby's beer last night and it had a very strange, sweet, flat taste to it. GROSS! I was worried in the begginning that the migraine dose of 100mg wouldn't be enough but I can't imagine going all the way up to 300! We shall see...
      Oh, and the L-Glut. What brand did you guys try? I actually don't notice any difference in cravings for AL but the MWO brand is a HUGE appetite suppressant for me. I was taking it for maybe 2 weeks before the topa and noticed an enormous difference taking 3000 - 5000mg/ day, divided in 3 doses on an empty stomach. It's the only supplement I've ever taken and gotten that kind of a result with.
      "Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them. Every day begin the task anew." -- St Francis de Sales

Comment

Good for you Sun. I think if you can not drink you will let the Topa help you. I find the LGlut doesnt do a thing for me. Maybe I should try the MWO stuff. I am eating like a horse because I Af without the topa.

Comment

Sun
          Did I read correctly- no more alcohol?
          YEAH!!!!!!!!
          I'm SOOOOOOOO PROUD!

Comment

For me, L-glutamine isn't effective until about 7-8 g taken in about an hours time to suppress cravings a few hours before normal drinking time.

houtx;954157 wrote: Hearing everyone rave about L-glutamine doesn't really ring my bell. I try to pop 3 (1,000 mg tabs) daily but I am not feeling any miraculous things from it. I also pop the vitamins I've mentioned before. I'm hoping they are the reason I'm having so few SEs??

My hair seems to be fine, I use a conditioner then detangler (have not gotten the special shampoo yet but may as "insurance") and I wash my hair everyday...am trying to be very gentle but this is getting to be a scary topic! Let's try not to scare each other as we get into Halloween decoration time! LOL

Seriously, it's good we are here for each other. I have found my desire for wine back, but am drinking less. PLus my appetite is definitely reduced, especially after I take the 100mg tablet in the afternoon. I am trying to eat just so I don't starve myself to death. I have lost 5 lbs. in the last 7-10 days and that is good...some water weight & a couple good pounds makes me feel better. The "BAC weight"!! YAY!!! Let me fit into my clothes and feel good about my physical self and then I will concentrate on the bigger issue of my "other" physical self! LOL Call me warped - I am.

Anyway - again, I am liking Topa sooooo much. I get on the BAC threads and still feel jealous of these people who take 20 mgs and suddenly feel no urge to drink. Or start NAL and get nauseous - a sure sign it's working. Still keeping my fingers crossed I will feel indifferent to AL or drink way less, as I am doing but even more as I go along...

Comment

havefaith;954705 wrote: Sun
              Did I read correctly- no more alcohol?
              YEAH!!!!!!!!
              I'm SOOOOOOOO PROUD!
              LOL Havefaith - yes you did read it right - I am just fooling myself. So that is it. Thanks for the support - it really does help!!

love and hugs, sun xx
              How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

BTW - is the MWO brand of L-Glut a name brand or just a MWO brand?

Sun x

Comment

You go Sun. It is better not to drink on the topa. Close the door. I know if I leave it a crack open I am going to end up getting drunk. I envy you I wish I had some left.

Comment

sun, L-glutamine is an amino acid. I know this is a long explanation, but I found it on another post about l-glut. I take the powder, apparently the pills aren't very effective.

BENEFITS OF THE AMINO ACID L-GLUTAMINE

Physicians with an allopathic approach generally have their favorite armamentarium of medicines with which they are comfortable & achieving predictable results. Likewise holistic physicians have their favorite supplements which work to achieve desired benefits.

In my medical practice , L- Glutamine in one of the most frequently prescribed supplements. This is not surprising since the importance of Glutamine is demonstrated by the fact that it is the most abundant amino acid in circulation . The total body Glutamine levels are in the range of 100,000 mg. In a healthy person, the concentration of Glutamine in the blood is 3-4 times greater than all other amino acids. It is actively transported, & metabolized in nearly all tissue. Glutamine is a major fuel source & therefor energy source for the entire body. It is particularly concentrated in the brain, skeletal muscles, gut lining, lungs, heart, kidneys, & liver where it has multiple & critical functions.

During years of ordering blood tests to determine amino acid status, Glutamine is one of the amino acids most usually below normal. In fact in my patient population of those with either chronic illness or mood & cognitive symptoms it is rare to see normal levels. Amino Acid testing may be obtained from Great Smokies Diagnostic lab at New name - same great company or from Doctors Data Lab at http://www.doctorsdata.com as well as other labs.

WHERE CAN YOU GET L-GLUTAMINE?

We primarily obtain Glutamine from the conversion of Glutamic Acid from food, though some Glutamine is also in food. The average amount of Glutamine ingested daily in a health diet is from 5,000-8,000 mg. Those foods with the highest content are pork, poultry, eggs, & dairy proteins, wheat germ, oats & avocados. Or you can get it as a free form amino acid supplement.

Much of the dietary Glutamine is derived from the salt form of Glutamic Acid ( Glutamate). This converts to Glutamine with the action of the enzyme Glutamine Synthetase. Proper functioning of this enzyme requires adequate presence of pyridoxal-5-phosphate ( the active form of vitamin B6), manganese, & other vitamin/mineral co-factors. If these are not present in sufficient quantities there can be a Glutamine deficiency even in the presence of adequate dietary protein. Glutamate also converts to GABA. Glutamine can conversely convert back to Glutamate & to GABA with the help of the enzyme Glutaminase. They all can convert among themselves as needed & depending upon the presence of adequate enzymes & co-factors.

GLUTAMINE IMPROVES BRAIN FUNCTIONING

Glutamine, Glutamate, & GABA are all neurotransmitters which means they are chemical messengers in the brain without which the brain could not function. GABA is a calming neurotransmitter, Glutamate is a stimulating neurotransmitter, while Glutamine is a modulator of the inhibitory & excitatory activity of the other two.

Glutamine is highly concentrated in the brain , being 10-15 times more concentrated in the cerebro-spinal fluid than in the blood. It is an important fuel for the brain, & can provide adequate energy in the absence of glucose (the other major brain fuel). For this reason it is helpful with focus, concentration, memory, intellectual performance, alertness, attentiveness, improving mood, & eliminating brain fog & cloudiness. It is one of the first nutrients I prescribe when any of these symptoms are present.

In animal studies an inhibitor of the synthesis of Glutamine produced convulsions, & Alzheimer’s or senile dementia-type changes in the brain.

Research suggests Glutamine may protect the brain cells in situations of decreased oxygen supply. It also helps in the brain to detoxify ammonia.

Those prone to mania need to be careful with high doses of Glutamine for it can trigger mania, as can any antidepressant substance.

STABILIZES BLOOD SUGAR & DECREASES ALCOHOL CRAVINGS

Glutamine does this by several mechanisms. When the blood sugar is low, Glutamine suppresses insulin to stop the further decline of the sugar levels. It also stimulates glycogen (a stored form of glucose) to be released to help increase the blood sugar to normal levels.

Further, Glutamine is a glycogenic amino acid which means it can convert to sugar for energy production, a process called gluconeogenesis. It is the most important such substance.
                    These blood sugar stabilizing effects may partially explain why it decreases alcohol cravings, as well as sugar cravings. In studies with alcoholics, 2000-3000 mg 3 times daily decreased the desire to drink, decreased anxiety, & improved sleep. It works best given between meals. Has been used for this purpose in daily doses from 6000-15,000 mg in 3 divided doses. Use upon arising, mid-morning & mid-afternoon between meals.

Giving Glutamine to rats decreased their voluntary alcohol consumption by 34%. When the Glutamine was stopped, their alcohol consumption returned to baseline levels.

Additionally, Glutamine supports pancreatic growth & function, increases the production of pancreatic enzymes, increases pancreatic weight, DNA, & protein content. This would also stabilize blood sugar & indirectly improve overall nutritional status..

MAINTAINS HEALTH /FUNCTIONING OF THE LINING OF THE GUT

Glutamine increases the growth & absorptive capacity & is the main fuel source for the cells lining the intestinal tract. It is critical for the maintenance of proper gut metabolism, structure & function. The cells lining the small intestines consume Glutamine at a voracious rate, using up to 30% of the circulatory pool. Glutamine deficiency results in hypoplasia of the intestinal absorptive lining & dysfunction of the intestinal immune system. It helps maintain normal Secretory IgA an immune substance in the gut.

Studies show that Glutamine helps promote healing of impaired gut mucosa , such as with ulcers, ulcerative colitis, & Crohn’s Disease. It enhances bowel function when there has been partial removal of the intestines & improves overall survival in gut originated severe infection.

Certain bacteria, fungi, & parasites can also impair the intestinal lining disrupting the optimal intestinal barrier functioning, & causing increased intestinal permeability ( the leaky gut syndrome). With increased permeability there can be increased allergy reactions to foods, & increased predisposition to autoimmune problems.

Also, the bacteria which live in the GI tract can cross the disrupted mucosal barrier to infect other organs in a process called bacterial translocation, so Glutamine can help prevent this serious process.

IMPORTANT FOR MUSCLE FUNCTION & METABOLISM

The intracellular concentration of Glutamine in muscle is a regulator of muscle protein synthesis or muscle building & supports muscle glycogen accumulation. When there is Glutamine depletion, there is a breakdown in muscle. Studies indicate Glutamine counteracts steroid-induced muscle atrophy.

Skeletal muscle is the largest organ in the body accounting for approximately 30-40% of total body mass. A 150 pound male would ideally have about 60, 000 mg of Glutamine in these muscles. Free stores of Glutamine in muscles exceed those of any other amino acids( alanine & glycine are the other major muscle amino acids).

Surgical & injury trauma , infections, burns, stress, cancer, acidosis, & most major illnesses dramatically deplete & alter the production & interorgan flow of Glutamine causing movement of Glutamine out of the muscle , altering intestinal Glutamine metabolism, & also decreasing Glutamine blood levels. Under these circumstances the net Glutamine consumption exceeds the production & there is a decrease in muscle protein synthesis. This contributes to the muscle wasting in severe illness & trauma. Research has shown a statistically significant correlation between survival in severely infected patients & the muscle intracellular Glutamine concentration. Supplying Glutamine helps the metabolic processes associated with recovery.

HELPS WITH WOUND HEALING

The cells of connective tissue in the body use Glutamine for protein & nucleic acid synthesis & also for 30% of energy needs. These cells are called fibroblasts . Glutamine is required for their proliferation & is therefore critical in wound metabolism & healing.

HELPS MAINTAIN ACID/ALKALINE BALANCE

This is done by the production & metabolism of Glutamine in the kidneys. The more severe the acidosis is as in uncontrolled diabetes, starvation, kidneys disorders, decreased oxygen in the body, fluid & electrolyte loss , the greater the rate of Glutamine metabolism in the kidneys. When controlling acidosis the kidneys consume enormous amounts of Glutamine & deplete muscle & other stores . In acidotic conditions there is low Glutamine, low alanine & an increased production of ammonia.

In studies 2000 mg Glutamine produced a quick increase in plasma bicarbonate( which elevates alkaline reserve) & an increase in growth hormone.

IS CRITICAL IN PROTEIN METABOLISM

Glutamine is used in the liver & kidney to make urea & ammonia which are normal breakdown products of protein, which are then excreted. Glutamine participates in the detoxification of the ammonia.

Excessive Glutamine can elevate rather than decrease ammonia levels, as it should do. Such excessive dose would be in the range of 40,000 mg for a 150 pound person-way above any recommended amount.

GLUTAMINE & CANCER

In the area of tumor growth, the evidence is unclear. Glutamine is highly used by rapidly dividing cells such as blood cells, & those in the GI Tract & cancer cells. It provides the nitrogen precursor for the synthesis of purines & pyramidines essential to cell reproduction & division. So whether Glutamine enrichment in amounts required to maintain normal metabolic balance will accelerate tumor growth is not well known.

Research has provided varying information. One research report suggested Glutamine aggravated muscle tumor( sarcoma) but this was not found in research on fibrosarcoma. Other reports indicated Glutamine not only was beneficial for the patient with the tumor, but did not stimulate tumor growth. It may very well depend upon the type of the tumor.

The fear is that since the immune cells require Glutamine for proper functioning & since an illness such as cancer depletes the body of Glutamine, such depletion will impair immune function & interfere with the body fighting the cancer & associated infections-if Glutamine is not given.

Cancer bearing rats were able to maintain normal immune function when given Alanine-Glutamine enriched nutrition without increasing tumor size. According to Rifat Latifi M.D. in “Amino Acids In Critical Care & Cancer” the general consensus is “that an increased uptake of Glutamine by tumor cells does not necessarily result in an increase in tumor size & the absence of accelerated tumor growth may have been due to the maintenance of cell mediated immune reactions of the host”

As if this weren’t definitive enough, animal studies showed Glutamine enhanced the selectivity of antitumor drugs. It did so by helping to protect normal cells from the chemotherapy while making the tumor cells more sensitive to the chemo. Further, when Glutamine was given to patients undergoing abdominal or pelvic radiation therapy it protected the intestinal mucosa from injury, accelerated the healing of the radiated bowel & modulated the long term consequences of radiation.

So if you have cancer consult with your doctor whether or not Glutamine supplementation would be wise in your type of cancer.

MISCELLANEOUS BENEFITS

• Glutamine is important for the synthesis of glutathione( an essential anti-oxidant) in the liver.
                    • Adequate Glutamine helps to protect the lungs from toxic insult.
                    • Glutamine is needed for RNA (Genetic messenger material) synthesis
                    • Essential for the synthesis of Vitamin B3 .

TOXICITY

Studies using high dose Glutamine have failed to demonstrate toxicity. However Glutamine should be avoided in cases of acute liver failure & kidney failure.

DOSAGE

As with any free form amino acid, Glutamine should always be taken with pyridoxal-5-phosphate which regulates the absorption, metabolism & conversion of all amino acids.
                    The usual dose recommended in my practice is 4000-5000 mg anywhere from 1-3 times daily between meals & not later than 3pm.

Comment

Hoping - I had to laugh - I knew what L=-Glut was!!!! Have taken it even - but was wondering if the MWO brand was a particular name brand or just a MWO brand - sorry but THANK YOU VERY MUCH for all the info. LOL

Love and hugs to you,

Sun xxxx

Comment

sidney;954916 wrote: You go Sun. It is better not to drink on the topa. Close the door. I know if I leave it a crack open I am going to end up getting drunk. I envy you I wish I had some left.
                        Won't the docs in canada prescribe it? Any idea why not? do they prescribe it for migraines? Do they prescribe it for anything?

sun x

Comment

Has anybody heard of heat intolerance with the the Topa? I am already pretty susceptible to the heat (and I live in the tropics where it's been very hot and humid lately) but it really seems to be making me even more confused and irritable (and sweatier) than usual. I am on now on day 11 (50 mg)...is there some kind of supplement that can help with this? I was almost ready to throw the towel in (haha) and quit about a half hour ago and came on here in hopes of changing my mind. I just hate feeling so bad all the time! Then I remind myself how bad it feels to be out of control with drinking I hope this too shall pass.

Comment

Luv I definately had heat intolerance. could not stand the heat and I live in Canada. I drank a ton of water and stayed out of the sun.

Comment

Sun, wow, sorry to throw that much copy at you, haha! I don't know if MWO has their own brand. I ordered from Swanson Health (online) and that seems to be helping, but I just started about a week ago. I'm going to do it twice a day instead of once and see what happens.
                              luvpups, I live in the South and it's 90 degrees with 90% humidity. I haven't noticed any more heat intolerance than usual, but I always hate the heat. Been done here almost 20 yrs but grew up in Michigan, maybe that's why! And my gosh Sidney, Canada? We were neighbors. Where abouts do you live? You would die in New Orleans!

Comment

I think it was 2run that said she gets the MWO brand - I was just wondering as she said that felt it was better - or seemed to work better than the other brands. Just wondered which one it was. Re the heat intolerance - luv - I haven't noticed. In fact I am always cold!! At work, I always wear a sweater and Hubs keeps the air at home on 73 and the minute he has gone I have it up to 75. So, no sorry I haven't noticed that as a SE for me.

Had a really strenuous day at work folk - so am off to bed - NO BRANDY for me today! Go me! Thanks all for the support. I can do this!! Talk later - hugs to everyone,

luv, Sun xx

Comment

Working...
                                X