New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

sun, good for you on the no brandy!!!! Yay!!! Esp when you had a stressful day at work. That's when I seem to cave the most.
    Come live in my house, my husband cranks the thermostat to 78. Upstairs where my girls live, he lets it go to 85 during the day and 78 at night. No wonder I hate the temps here! (And he's from Michigan too, go figure. Just cheap!)
    You're great, thanks for all your support.

Comment

Hoping I live in Toronto. Funny you should mention New Orleans I am hoping to go there in January. What is the weather like then?

Comment

January can be anything, from 30s to 70s. You never know. I'd say it's a safe bet to plan on daytime highs around the 50s, just check on weather.com before you come. When you get close to your trip, let me know and I'll give you the insider's list of things to do, places to eat. You'll have so much fun!

Comment

It can never be too cold for me, so I feel for ya, Luvpups & Hoping!

Back to L-glut, I take "Jarrows Formula" tablets I get from Whole Foods. Great - so it's actually the powder that's most effective? Well, when this supply runs out, I'll change to the powder, I guess. But 2Run, you say the MWO brand is more effective as an appetite suppressant? That might be useful information if that SE goes away...it seems to fade with me after being at my dose for only a few days.

Ugh - I was thinking today I am so tired of popping pills!! But only for a second...then I felt guilty for drinking thru the point I knew I needed to stop last night. I wasn't horrible, but I stayed up an hour later than I should've, and had that extra glass or two. Just trying to catch up on stuff - bad me. So back on track tonight and hopefully more nights to follow. I want this to work! :-)

Comment

Good morning all - I slept like a top - so much for thinking that the brandy would help me sleep - I knew that I was fooling myself!! Running a tad bit late - have a great day everyone - Airam - how are you doing - it is a while since we have seen you.

hugs, Sun xx
            How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Hi All!

The only MWO out supplement that I've read is actually "superior" to anything else out there is the Kudzu. I read somewhere on here that the MWO formula is significantly stronger and a lot of the Kudzu on the shelves out there doesn't actually contain much of the stuff at all. Great. The MWO capsules of L-Glut that I take just have the MWO brand name and imaging on them and say "distributed by Capalo Research and Health Sciences" so they must be RJ's own formula. They're 1000mg capsules and I take 1000 mgs upon rising, 2000mgs about an hour before lunch and 2000mgs about 2 hours before dinner. I started taking these about 2 weeks before the topa, about the same time as going back to my usual clean eating program (lean meats, fresh veggies and fruits, whole grains, light on the fats and dairy) which would normally leave me pretty hungry most of the time. Well, I had no trouble what so ever sticking to the program and was often skipping the snacks I was actually allowed to have. The only thing I can put it down to is the L-Glut. I did some research and it did come up here and there that it can help suppress appetite but it mostly talks about it being a performance enhancer for athletes (haven't noticed any change in my workouts though). I also read about L-Glute's ability to curb sugar cravings which is probably the connection with AL? But, like I said, it didn't have much of an effect on the AL for me, just the food, big time. Like someone else on here mentioned though, I have also read that the powder form can be cheaper and also much more effective on cravings so when my MWO capsules run out (maybe another week or two) I plan to try one of the powder forms. I'll keep you posted!!

Houtx - I too had a bad night last night. Did go as crazy as a "regular" night for me but, like you, stayed up a bit later than I should have and had that extra glass or two. ARGH! I was doing pretty well on the 50mgs too. Another day, another try...

Sun - YOU GO GIRL!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOHOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

Luv - My packet insert for my Topa said that sensitivity to heat is a side effect for sure. It talks about the inability to sweat as much which can lead to overheating. Just make sure you drink lots of water and that you are sweating when you feel you should be (i.e. exercise etc.).
              "Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them. Every day begin the task anew." -- St Francis de Sales

Comment

I'm really feeling frustrated! I know the whole purpose of taking Topa is to feel in different to AL...but I would also like to feel MAJOR indifference to food. I'd LOVE to lose about 10 -15 lbs. So is it just assumed it's OK to talk about our weight loss first??!! LOL Since most of us on here are women?? Green light then??

Girls, I'm frustrated! The appetite suppressant kicks in at a new level of dosage then flattens out after 3-4 days. Same with the indifference to AL. I kinda don't want to eat anything but my stomach is growling! I'm thinking I'm not in the mood to drink but I want something! It is so weird and frustrating!! Right now especially the food thing...I am at 150mgs and really think I could stabilize at this dose...and want to...just want to feel that sudden drop in appetite for food and drink.

I read all these reports from those of you who are drinking less at much lower doses than I am on and it makes me kinda "sad". I don't want to keep titrating up into these mega doses like they do on BAC - I then worry about the freaking SEs...oh boo hoo!!! I am tired of worrying!~ So I won't.

Alls well - XO

Comment

houtx - I SO SO SO am in the same boat. i am worried about the AL but also wanting to lose the extra pounds that came on from the AL!!!! SO, I was (AM) hoping that topa would help with both. and yes, i think we have the green light to discuss both on here! what are you doing as far as diet while also doing the topa? I do find that i am wanting healthier choices... i also find that even at 50mg i don't really want that first or second glass of wine but i can drink through it if i try. ARGH. didn't i say this last night too?? yes i did. now i am at 4 and off to bed. still much better but not where i want to be. even at 5 pm i was set for an AF night but hubby came home with flowers and happy and wanting to chat etc. excuses. and funny, with the topa, all i feel from the wine is tired. i feel no other effect. is that normal?
                  so green light with me to discuss the weight loss if you like. i am always game. it's been a long battle of mine. i've always been athletic but perhaps wine has forever kept me 5 - 10 pounds overweight...
                  "Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them. Every day begin the task anew." -- St Francis de Sales

Comment

oh, and i feel the exact same...pretty indifferent but tummy growling for food...don't want the wine but feel like i "should" and then it levels off... today i had some luck with sparkling soda (no weird taste with the carbonation) and green tea. worked for both "do i want food?" "do i want wine?"

Comment

Houtx - I found with the Topa that it isn't a major feeling - it is subtle - as with the AL - I still had the feeling (habit feeling???) of wanting the drink - not a real craving but just the habit - but my body didn't want the AL - same with the food - the habit - the mere act of putting the food in ones mouth - that is still there - but I think - or with me anyway, that the actual craving was gone. So, try listening to your body and decide if it an actual craving or just a habit thing. It is hard for me to try to explain it but I take a ton of food to work with me every day - and some days if I get working, hours will pass and I will suddenly notice I haven't eaten anything, then other days when it is slow, I will keep thinking I am hungry - and just eat constantly so I think you need to try listening and decide what it is your body is actually telling you maybe? Someone else might have a better explanation than me - and I am up to the full level of taking the Topa - the 300 mg a day so I do understand how you feel when you see others taking 100 or 150 and having the AL cravings go away - I too wish it would have worked me me on a lower level. Hang in there though - see what the others answer.

Love and hugs, Sun xx
                      How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Houtx if you have to go higher in doseage try it. I never had to go above 200 mg. But the mental cravings of wanting a drink ...are just that ....mental and no drug will take those away. I am afraid we have to work on banishing them with our strength and determination to be sober.

If I can do anyone can. All the best to you all. Sid.

Comment

Houtx - what Sid said too,

Love, Sun XX

Comment

Thx Sidney -
                            I've really appreciated your posts more than I can say. You seem to have a very serious spin on your sobriety and staying that way. I take your posts very seriously too and would love to hear/read your story . Is it posted somewhere? Would you share? What about you, sunshinedaisies? Some of you "oldtimers" - it sure might be nice to hear where you came from for us newbies -

Anyway, I have been at 150 mgs about 10 days now, so think I will go to 200 mgs and see...or maybe 175?? It is just kindof frustrating to go up to these new levels, feel the indifference for just a few days and then go flat again. I have been on Topa a month and altho lost about 5 lbs, wish that were more. My drinking has decreased by a few but it has not been consistent. It was really significant when I hit 100 mgs, as I posted then, but nothing since. I am just not really feeling it on a consistent basis, I don't think. Or maybe I really need to sniff it like a buttercup...LOL...sniffing and listening and calming my being for the subtleties (sp?) that are there.

Yes - like you said, sun - Ok. More later. I am soooooooooooo tired, not sure I am even making sense. :-))

Comment

Houtx - I am not really sure that I am ready or that I want, to spill my life story. It isn't pretty, as I know a lot of them here aren't. But I have come to terms with it and really feel it is in my past. I never did anything silly or awful whilst drinking, or had black outs but I had an awful lot of emotional stuff for practically all of my life - I would say that it has only been the past 12 years that I have been happy. To be honest, I don't see that it would help anyone by knowing my story - I don't want anyone feeling sorry for me - I am in a good place now. I am sure that I turned to AL to numb a lot of my life, as most of us here probably did, to escape from reality. I never drank to excess really - just enough to hide from life. Now I am ready to face life head on. I don't need AL any more. This is making me choke up thinking about it all. I am sure that I couldn't do my story. Right, pull up my socks! Time to get my COFFEE (milky) with honey and dry my hair and go to bed. Work tomorrow early. Take care houtx - hugs to you,

love, Sun xx

Comment

Great thread Sunshinedaises and Sidney,
                                My "habit" is what gets me in trouble. For the last 14 years I've come home after working, being a single mother, having animals, keeping the house, etc. etc. and have had a glass of wine. So tonight, I didn't really want AL just my habit. No topramax will take away my habit.
                                I am going to try hypnotherapy.

Comment

Working...
                                X