New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, Sun please dont worry and think I would get offended that easily I havent even been reading until now, I have been very up and down lately my aunt, the one I told you about before if anyone can remember it has been ill so my cousin has got in touch with social servicses saying she needs emergency residential care and has made out that she has got dementia. The doctor came out to her but says there is nothing he can do about it because of the bed shortage in the hospital they now have a policy of not taking in old people to asses their health so I will know later what is going to happen. I did say I would stay with her for a night but now dont really feel up to it but my daughter has said she will go instead which is really kind of her. I am very proud of the way my daughter has become so caring at times the way she looks after my mum and aunt but do wish she had the same thoughts about me which she doesnt, she has too much anger toward me I think that stops her, I dont really know why she would have all this anger toward me but she does.

Sun you asked why did I have the drink and will I have more and said you hoped not. As you must remember I never wanted abstinence anyway what I wanted was to drink like a normal person and not be getting drunk and I have been wondering for some time now if III would be4 able to or if I had that drink I would go mad as my family all believe I would and so wont entertain the idea of me ever being able to drink but I know its my decision not theirs, and anyway the only person who is actually bothered about this now is my son, or he is the only one who has the right to be in my opinion as my sons where the only ones hurt by my drinking my mum and daughter just interfiered and made things worse for us all. Sorry I rambled on a bit there didnt I, so thatis why I had the drink, I enjoyed it but didnt want anymore, since then I have had a glass of wine on two nights but had to throw the rest of the bottle away as I dont know if it would have gone off with not being kept in the fridge, each time I had one glass enjoyed it but had had enough and didnt want any more so I have no plans from here of what to do. I dont think I want to drink at home every night but would like to be able to some nights but I do have to say that while I had no desire for more after the one glass I do have the desire for a glass tonight. A part of me want to be able to have this and wants to believe that the six months abstinance while taking the medication that stopped me drinking in the first place will have changed my brain pathways back to normal so I will be opk doing it but another part of me is worried that is a pile of crap and I am on a pathway to heavy drinking again and I cant decide but I do have some AB there and have decided that if I go down the route of carrying on ahving a drink then I should use them at the first sign of trouble as well as comming on here to tell you aboout it. I do want to try to post daily again but as we all know thats hard sometimes and I do understand why peeps werent posting so I hope no one minds that I said so.

Dizzy I wouldnt worry that you cant give blood its not the end of the world is it, Ive no idea how much a thousand rand is but if you can afford it then I think you should just go for it, its just another one of the hoops you have to jump through to get what you want.

I dont know whether I told you that I was thinking of doing an open university degree, well I have been accepted and given funding for the first part of the course which is 600 pounds, what I didnt know until yesterday tho is that if I was to fall behind with the work or have to quit for any reason then I become liable to have to pay back that money so now Im getting cold feet and doubting my ability to do it whereas before I was thinking that I would just give it my best and if that wasnt good enough then nothing would be lost but after comming this far in applying in time and being accepted I dont really want to back out now.

love to you all

space xox

Comment

Hi there, I saiid yesterday that I wanted to try and post daily and so here I am again even if no one has posted today. I did get the bottle of wine last night and had a couple of glasses but then had had enough and left it unfinished, but now its comming up to the end of the day I do feel like another glass. I think its such a shame I have to hide it because I wonder if I just had the bottle in the fridge then what was left from yesterday would probably do me for tonight and maybe even some left over then. But all this is beside the point really, what is the point is that this me wanting to drink has happened after I have reduced the med that I think stopped me drinking so I am from tonight going to increase it again and see what happens, I am really really hoping it works and I no longer wanting a drink not because I am worried about going over the top with it, I dont think at this level I will but because it is just such a pain buying the drink and then drinking it at home, its not something I want to do anymore but I do want to be able to have one when I go out which I can nowadays and not have to worry about getting drunk and being a nusance and then having no one wanting me to come out with them again.

As I said I will carry on daily posting as much as I can so I can see if things change as I increase my med back up.

Apart from that the weather here is still great, its been a bit cloudy today but still warm enough to sit out which is what I have been doing this afternoon, I wish it would stay like this all summer that would be great.

Much love to you all

space x

Comment

What medicine are you taking? I tried to start on the topamax again. When I got up to the 50 I was so tired. However, I had much stress in my life at that time so I wondered if that was a reason. I am going to try again this week. Last week I drank way too much. Ever have those nights when you know you were talking with a friend and you don't remember if you ended the conversation. I don't like that feeling.

Comment

Hi Meggie Im sorry you are having such a rough time of it right now but very glad you are posting on here. I do think the tiredness wears off so if you just stick to your does until that goes you should be able to get to a dose which will work for you with minimal side effects, I have just posted on another thread that the side effects of heavy driking where much worse for me that any that I ever had from topa.

Last years I saw a psychiatrist and was diagnosed with bipolar, after trying a few meds of her I was eventually given one called sodium valporate and after starting to take it the desire to drink just left me, I did stoop drinking for christmas and intended to stop for around a few days or a week or so just over the christmas time so I could give my family a good christmas and not be either drunk or hung over then up until a couple of weeks ago I just didnt want a drink, now and again when I thought about it I just couldnt see the point my problem having been drinking in the house alone so since I didnt go out during that time I didnt bother. I always wanted to be able to drink socially and normally tho and a few weeks ago I went out for a meal with friends and decided to have a beer which I then asked to have lemonade added to it because it was so hotand I was thirsty, I was driving so I knew I wouldnt drink more anyway, I had that and went home and didnt think more about it, I forgot to say that over the past months or more I ahd been cutting down on my dose because I was worried about hair loos which was not too bad but I had noticed some hairs in the plug hole after a shower and my brush also my anils have been splitting worse than usual, having cut down on my dose this stopped happening but I have had a few drinks since, just a couple of glasses f wine of a night but it started to annoy me the other day so I havent had a drink since again, well not last night anyway so last night I increased my dose again and I will see what happens.

When this all first happened I did look around to see if there was any other evidence I could find to state that my med had been used for drinking but couldnt really find much so I really dont know if it would work for anyone else, maybe by treating a part of my brain that is involved in my bipolar it also stopped me self medicating with alcohol I really dont know but it is also an epilepsy medication which topa is and I think is what baclofen was originally designed to be so it is possible that it could help others but I would never try to give advice to anyone to try it because Im not a doctor it just has worked for me, unfortunately it didnt work for my bipolar tho

I do remember waking up and waguely having called people up on the phone, unfortunatelly I would get very argumentative when drunk and so lost friends by doing it but now I am making new nicer friends having got my drinking under control so in the long run it is probably for the best.

Maybe Meggie it would be good if you wanted to post on here how much you drink each day along with your topa dose and also what kind of day you have had, I have always found this site and mostly this thread the best place to do this as it hasmade things clearer to me by writing it down and also others can see things about us that sometimes we cant. Have you ever tried any of the suppliments recommended in the MWO book, I think in there they are way to many but I know me and others have taken L glutamine which has helped, it is also supposed to help with sugar cravings so if you wanted a buddy to take this with I could do it as I am eating way too much chocolate and stuff lately, in fact I have some there so I will try to start taking it anyway.

I hope today is a better one for you

space x

Comment

Hi everyone ! I have had a very busy few days with work, the garden and my new grandbaby! But am here now !

Space - thank you for saying what you did. You know that i would never ever say anything intentionally to upset you and I am so happy that you weren't. Thanks also cfor explaining the med that seemed to help with your not drinking - really interesting I thought. I have never heard of it but if, as you say, it is for epilepsy too, then that might explain it.

I am glad that you are so aware of your drinking and wanting to drink normally. I too feel like that and have decided that tomorrow I am going to take the AB again. First step again into not drinking and getting out of the habit.

Meggie - Stay on the 25mg of Topa for weeks if necessary before going up to the 50mg and see if that helps with the tiredness. Do you take it at night? I think when I first took mine I took it around 6.00 in the evening and that way any tired feeling had gone by the next morning. I ended up being able to take it any time and it having no SE's at all regarding tiredness.

Space - that is sweet of your daughter to help with your aunt - but as you said, it would be nice if she showed you the same feelings. How old is she? I know what you mean about wishing someone would just take the initiative and make you a cup of tea sometime or something ..... I don't think hubs has EVER made me a cup of tea - in fact, he probably doesn't even know how I make it - LOL. Being American, they don't make it as we do in UK.

Buggy - sorry you are in a lot of pain - what is the med that your doctor has put you on if you don't mind sharing? So happy that you had an AF night though - good for you. that first one is always so hard for me to actually DO.

Well, I might be going to UK in October..... just thinking about it right now but it would be lovely to go and be a non smoker and practically a non drinker - when I stay at mums it would be nice to not have to get any AL. When I have finished the cigs that I have I am quitting smoking. For once and for all! I did it for 20 years before and know I can do it.

And on that note, I need to get on with my day - have a good week to all,

Hugs, Sun XXX
            How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Sun hi Im so glad you have just posted, I dont know if its just me loosing track of time but I thiink we have been on that last page for ever. WOW how are you going to stop smoking AND drinking, please tell me what you are doing especially with the smoking as I really do want to quit but still havent managed a day without but also whats been happening with the drinking and your deciding to take the AB tomorrow, are you going back to the AB 5/7 or are you trying to quit totally I cant make it out from your post. Since I have now had a drink again myself I am very interested in what h as been happening to others. Also since my last post I ahve been out and bought a bottle of wine and already drank half of it which is noot at all a good sign, I am now thinking that the problem we all have, whether its you Sun, who never gets drunk or has realy bad problems but wants to cut down or like me who was an out and out drunkard we just like it tooooo much, there are all other ways to look at why we drink and whatever but I do think thats the bottom line because right now there is no other reason. I have just gone for months with no money comming in and days where I didnt eat because I couldnt afford to feed us all but I didnt drink and now that I have decided to give myself that luxury again I like it.

Regarding my med, I as originally on 800mgwhich I reduced over a period of a couple of weeks to 500mg and now I am seeing that this could land me in trouble. Last night I took 600mg and will go back up to 800mg tonight for a while to see what happens. My worst fear now tho is that it was a once only deal with it working for the drink and now that I have gone down and then back up again it may not work the same, but thats only because that can happen with topa. Whatever you will al be sure to hear about it whether you want to or not

Sun dont forget to tell me about the stopping smoking, also where your mum lives, I think its down south somewhere, since I started having panic attacks 10 years ago I havent been able to drive on motorways which means I have missed out on so much, I would have loved to have been able to drive down to see you but dont see that happening unfortunatey. Its odd that you caan travel a thousand miles but then a few hundred keep us from meeting.

Love space x

Comment

Hi Space - well....... I have just been doing a LOT of soul searching and decided that unless I DO something, things will never change! I quit before - I have quit a lot of times but I did quit smoking once for 20 years and pan on doing it again. I am quite determined this time and will just do it because I know I can. Nothing to do with will power - just because I CAN ! The nicotine is out of my system very quickly so it is more the habit than anything. I will just ride each craving as and when it comes. The drinking - well, the same thing really. I suppose I have been kidding myself a lot of the time about it thinking I can drink like a normal person. I need to stop - and will see where I go from there. Once again, I will use the AB as a crutch initially and then see how I go. I feel quite positive right now and didn't get any when I was out as I knew Hubs was getting me some - so I will have some today. Tomorrow I won't. I have asked him not to get me any.

I will PM you later about my mum and my plans for when I am in UK as I really don't want it on here in full view of the world. But hubs is just home and I need to chat with him, then need to run a quick errand. Will PM you in a little while.

Hugs, Sun XXX
                How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Hey Sun you sound so much more determined than I have ever heard you, good on you xx

Comment

OH YES I AM !!!!!! LOL I really am 100% this time that I will do this - I have no doubt !!! Lots of reasons that I cannot go into on here for various reasons. But I know this time I am sure.

Love and hugs my friend,

sun XXX

Comment

Sun , I have already asked you but will aks again for the sake other, are you taking the AB, I am thinking about it to get me back on track, last night I did drink too much wine, not enough to get drunk but more than Im happy with so if I feel like drinking today I will have to take an AB just to make sure I dont. I have woken up at 5am this morning due to drinking the wine so I know I wont make it through the day without having to have another sleep and I try to aviod that as going to bed of a day time is my behaviour when depressed. . I am going out for a meal again on Wednesday so would have liked to have a drink with that but it wont be the end of teh world if I cant, it would only be one anyway as I will be driving.

OK I just took it then, I had to do it quick before I changed my mind, well I took half so thats that, I cant change my mind or be tempted and now have time for the other tablets to kick in to hopefully stop me just wanting it. I wish I could take something to make it as imposible to stop smoking but that is going to be down to pure will power. But then again I only have one cigarette and enough tobacco for one roll, also no money so I might end up having to not smoke today anyway.

O am seeing my therapist this afternoon and it seems an age ago sinceI saw her but really its only two weeks, I need to ask her about getting more therapy after we have finished the 16 weeks as I think I need to work onmore that just my relationships with other people.

love space x
                      I cant believe I have gone and taken that AB just like that without thinking, its too late to change my mind now but would anyone like to jion me?

Comment

Hi everyone and hi Space!

I've been terribly absent, I know. And sorry. Just been busy and maybe a little down, and doing other things or not--like staring at walls and sleeping it seems like a lot but always tired at the same time.

Anyway, not a whole lot going on for me, but I guess also a lot: 71 days abstinent today. I haven't been on bac for longer than that, so I don't know what's with the not drinking, other than I wanted to get healthier over this summer, and I guess by not drinking I've at least got a few things under control. I haven't been exercising as much as I wanted, but I have been some.

So, to recap, since the beginning of summer I've stopped drinking, then got myself off benzos, not taking bac, actually not taking anything other than a multivitamin. I have my driver's test in the morning, so I should have a driver's license again by tomorrow, and then I can register my car and switch my insurance over and be driving my own car by the end of the week. That's pretty cool, considering I haven't been able to do that in 2 years now... Wow, I can't believe it's been that long. OK that's about it. I'm also teaching a super intense summer class that is making me want to die everyday.

Will try to catch up soon. Space, I read about your lunchtime shandy that you had a while back--and I think it's great that you had one and were fine, and it's also great that you went without for six months. Either way, you seem to not have much desire for drink right now and that's the most important thing, to not feel like you're fighting all the time--well, it's one less thing to worry about.

Big hugs to everyone. Will try to catch up a little. :l:l:l

Comment

Stuck, how did you do it. My counselour says to pick a day and quit. I just look at her and say, you don't get it. I quit smoking almost 30 years ago and used every crutch out there. I feel like crap today because I drank way to much. Also, interested in the class you are teaching. I need to finish an online course about all the new common core. So exciting to get your liscense back. I can't imagine not being able to drive.
                          It is interesting to hear that several of you have met. Have you visited each other in Europe?

Comment

I don't know what it is, Meggie, but suddenly I was an anxious-mess 24/7 and walking around in what felt like constant alcohol-withdrawal. My heart was racing, and my blood pressure was sky high.

I was taking benzos every morning to function during the day, and getting wasted by the early afternoon/evening. Then one night I went to a party, got so drunk that I could barely stand, fell trying to get home, and the next day after drinking like 5 beers as soon as I woke up I just quit. Had about a weekend of truly nightmarish anxiety, but then started weening off the benzos. I basically said this summer was going to be for getting healthy--I set a couple of small goals, one of them being sober.

So I don't know if it's because I set a plan for the summer, or basically 90 days sober, or what. But it hasn't been too terribly difficult. I actually still have beer in the fridge--that I somehow bought that night I was staggering around. But my blood pressure and everything is basically OK now--now that I'm not drinking. And trying to sleep still sucks, but is getting better. So there are some rewards that are coming with not drinking.

The class I'm doing is this big to-do with underprivileged high school kids who've graduated, or are about to, and have scholarships to college. I'm one of a couple TAs teaching writing. It's kind of a disorganized mess, but I know the professor and the other TAs, and we're trying to make it work. Not sure what to say about it, other than the kids take a math class in the morning and a writing class in the afternoon, for 7 weeks.

I worked for the company writing the common core writing questions last summer. That's a freaking mess too. I got a couple questions accepted, but the whole thing is a disaster and they have no idea what they're doing, either, trying to build a database of test questions based on the core standards. And the core standards are ridiculous.

Comment

No time to reply tonight - hopefully before I go to work in the morning - but wanted to say hi to Stuck and meggie and also to space - and hope that your appt went well for you today. NO guinness for me tonight and I DIDN'T take an AB. I want to do this on my own ! It wasn't easy but if I can do it when I take an AB then I can do it if I don't !! One day done.......

Off to bed.

love and hugs to all,

love, sun XXX

Comment

Good Morning - have a little more time now - just wanted to get to bed last night having taken a melatonin !

Anyway feel good today and quite pleased with myself. That first day without my Guinness is always such a mountain for me. Especially this time doing it without the AB.

Stuck - I think it is amazing the way you have brought yourself off of everything - quite amazing. Good luck with your drivers test today - it will be wonderful for you to have your car again! I cannot imagine being without mine! But where I live, the nearest bus stop is two miles away and the buses run something like four times a day !

Meggie - I agree that it is no good when someone tells you to just pick a date and stick to it - they do NOT understand ! If it was that easy we could all do it !! I feel for you - what have you tried?

Umm, I haven't met anyone in Europe but am hoping to meet Space this time when I go to UK. I have met a couple of folk from this thread though in the USA. And made some wonderful friendships!

Space - so happy that you took the AB - you seem to be very clear headed which is good - and when i took the AB, that was what I had to do - take it before I even thought about it - if I thought too much, I wouldn't take it. As you know, no, I didn't take it so it will be harder for me, but I need to try this. I still have a few packs of cigs left so haven't faced that bridge yet but it is coming up !! I still feel positive about it and am going to do it.

And now need to get ready for work.

Love to all,

sun XX

Comment

Working...
                                X