New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stuck, how did you get to write some of the questions. I thought it was a group of idiots in publishing industry. Our first test this year was not as bad as the new reading program they bought. Sounds like an interesting undertaking.
    Sun, I give you credit, also Stuck, I should take my last month and totally work on getting myself healthy. I have tried topa and campral. I did quit for a year in2007, using this whole program. Then I quit in 2011 for 8 months. I hate the not sleeping, I should work on it while I don't have to go to work daily.
    Stuck, what are you using for sleep? I have melatonine mixed with alcholol. It works well.

Comment

meggie;1535640 wrote: Stuck, what are you using for sleep? I have melatonine mixed with alcholol. It works well.
      I bet it does! :H

The company writing the common core questions hires just about anyone. You go in for a weekend orientation that's like 2-3 days, and learn about what the standards are and how questions are supposed to match the standards. Then you go home and write questions and submit them online. There are then group leaders that review the questions and decide if they are acceptable or not. You get paid based on the number of questions that are accepted--so basically the company has no real responsibility beyond $500 for the orientation. If they decide they like a lot of your questions, you make quite a bit of money. If not, you've wasted a lot of time and effort for nothing. [Oh, and I was only having maybe 1 out of 3 or 4 questions accepted, so I just stopped writing them and started ignoring their emails. I got paid for the weekend and the like 10 questions I did have accepted, and I'll never try to do that crap again. ]

I was alternating between Benadryl and OTC sleeping aids, and slowly just kind of stopped feeling the need or remembering to take them. Sleep starts to regulate after about 2 months sober, and I'm right around 2 1/2 months right now. Not saying sleep is perfect, but it's better than it has been. And getting up at like 5 or 6 most mornings to go to the goddamned DMV sure helps come 10pm--I am ready to crawl into bed and pass the F out.

That should be done soon, though. I've got my license, got my insurance switched over from out of state, and now just have to work on getting the car registered. 2, maybe 3 more trips and this pain-in-the-ass will be over.

Comment

Did just include a long pst a post that included an invite for sun and. Space. when Sun's here in October?

Comment

Hello everyone,
          Hope no one minds if I jump in here. I haut started reading the thread from the beginning and it may take me a while but determined.
          A little bit about me ~ some of you may know me...I lurk in the general discussion forum part most of the time.
          I am 27 years old and have been drinking for the past four years. Quite heavily the last two years. My vice is wine. Up to a litre a night.
          I have had some AF time under my belt (last year around this time) but then I went back to square "two". Never square one for me someone here told me to think of it that way.
          Anyway...I am highly functioning but I have come to realize that booze is robbing me of living a full life.
          I have also gained 40lbs which has done quite a number on my self esteem. I basically have none.
          Recently I went to my doctors to figure out some digestive issues I have been having. We discussed my alcohol intake, naturally...he had brought up the subject of Antabuse and how it's used to help great alcoholism but in Canada we can't get it and he strongly advised me against ordering it online. I then brought up Topamax, it was the first drug that popped into my mind from being on these forums and he agreed that we could give it a shot. I am grateful that I have an understanding doc and one too that has gone through drug and alcohol addiction himself. So he "gets" me.
          Anyways, I filled my prescription out this evening and I plan on starting taking these starting tomorrow. I have been told to start with 25mg in the am and then pm and then after a week, increase it to 50mg.
          I know this might not be magic pill or anything but I am optimistic. If I can curb these cravings then that would be amazing. I know I will have to work on the psychological stuff...but I need a little boost here to go in the right direction.

Anyways, I just wanted to share.
          Thanks for listening.

~Bri*

Comment

Hi Bri - and welcome. You are more than welcome to join us here! The more the merrier and we love having new people come in !! Gosh - if you are going to read the thread from the beginning you have a long job ahead of you - but there is a lot of good stuff there about SE's and what a good few people have gone through with Topa so it will give you a really good idea of what to expect - or what not to.... everyone reacts differently to it. When you say you are on 25mg am and pm, are you already on 50mg? It is best to follow the titration schedule in the book - that is what I did. And if you start getting Se's, then stay at the same dose until it goes away - they mostly do.

As for your weight gain, Topa does also have a SE of weight loss for some ! One person here had to stop taking it 'cos she lost too much weight on it !! But I think it is only 17% or something like that that get that SE.

If you have any questions, feel free to ask - someone will be along sometime - I check the thread most days or PM me.

Again - welcome, good to see you here,

Sun
            How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Word. Welcome, Bri--great group of ladies here.

And, hope all of you are doing well.

Comment

Thanks for the welcome Sun and StuckinLA.

I am already to take 50mg as per doctors orders. Should I really just start on the 25mg first? I don't have the book so have no idea about the scheduling or anything like that.
                I really do hope that this helps me out and that one of the SE is weight loss. But I guess we just gotta wait and see and yes, it will take me a while to get through the thread from start to finish! Lol!
                I have taken my first dose this morning.
                No questions so far, but I will keep you all posted as to how it goes for me.
                Thank you!! )

~Bri*

Comment

Bri - YES - just 25mg per day for the first week. It does not help to rush it - it really doesn't!!! I will see if I can find the titration schedule for you and PM it to you. Probably won't be today - but will be tomorrow at the latest! It does take a while to kick in - for some, so don't expect a miracle - LOL. What time zone are you in? Am hoping that you will read this before you take a second dose !!!!

Sun X
                  How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Thanks Sun! I will check my messages.

I did take the one this morning and will stick to taking my doses in the morning unless I really feel drowsy throughout the day, then I will switch it to the afternoons/evenings.
                    Today I am feeling really tired but I don't know if that is just because of work or what.
                    I am craving alcohol right now...but this is just day 1.
                    I usually am into it by now...but have waited. There isn't much wine in my place to begin with, so will see how this pans out.

Bri.*

Comment

Hi Bri good to see you came on heere. I only have time for a quick post and just wanted to welcome you really. I am happy for you that ou decided to take try topa and begin your journey to sort 0ut your drink problems. I agree to start low and stick to the same dose if you get any se's, maybe check with your doc, that may well be the dose he gives for epilepsy he has given you as he said he doesnt really know about its use for drinking. I do kind of wish I could try topa again instead os sodium valporate as the se's with that combined with another meds Im on are getting pretty bad right now, I see my pdoc on the 2nd August so if Im not feeling better then I will ask him about it.

Sun well done on your first night without drink, I have every confidence that you will be able to keep it up as your sttitude t drink does seem to have changed massively.

Stuck good to `see` you.

xx

Comment

Ok, Bri, took my first 25 ml of topa last night. Going to doctor today to talk about sleeping medication. I realized I posted yesterday but it never made it on here. My fear of quiting is finding a way to relax and then to sleep. I also need to get rid of this ten pounds because my clothes don't fit well. So Bri on to a month of health.

Comment

Meggie how cool that you and Bri are starting this together. When you first quit drinking Meggie you may well have sleep problemms, most of us do I think but that should settle down withing the week or even less depending on how much you drank so I do think its early days to be thinking about sleeping medication a couple of disturbed nights is not the end of the world. In time you will find other ways to relax, in fact its probably the fact that your life has become so stressfull because of the problems alcohol has caused that you think it is making you relax but its not, its making you not think or feel.

After you get that first week out of the way you will feel so much better, I always did.

Comment

Hi all

I have way too much stuff running through my head and my life to sit down and respond to everyone right now as I may get my visa tomorrow and fly on Tuesday but I still don't know!

Anyway, just wanted to say that if we have a bigger flat both Sun and Space are welcome to come spend a night or two in our spare bedroom in October if they wish to do so.

Congrats Sun on the positive changes.

:welcome: Bri! I'll still chat with you but it seems like the ladies have been helping you out really nicely so far.

Space, I'm glad you're still active here and working towards fighting the good fight and it's also nice to see you Stuck.

Only Play seems to be missing in action a bit

Hi Meggie, I'm glad you are posting more but your posts always make me feel like I only know half of the story as they are too short! I love your posts but I really wish you would elaborate a bit more - I promise that it is really therapeutic, especially when you do it at least every day or second day.

Gotta run, loads to do!!!

:l:l:l

Comment

Oh and in rehab, devoid of ANY alcohol and drugs, I actually slept better than I've ever done before, partly as alcohol actually robs us of our ability to sleep well and partly as they kept us busy from 7-11 so by the time your head hit the pillow you were exhausted.

:l

Comment

I agree dizzy when I was in the alcohol treatment unit in hospital for three weeks I slept right through withoout any problem, even though I was sharing a room with three other woment which I wuld have thought would disturb me.

Comment

Working...
                                X