No announcement yet.

New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mike - I have sent the pdf of the Eskapa book to you as a Private Message ....

Sun
    How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

So I'm a few days into topomax now and not sure if I should take one tonight. I'm probably drinking too much, but I'm so exhausted. I know it's probably best to stick with the meds for a few weeks but i hate feeling this tired, it's as bad as the baclofen for me. It's nice to sleep but it's this limbo when I'm awake I'm hating right now, unable to enjoy anything, so tired but can't sleep unless I take more topomax.

Comment

Mike - are you just taking 25mg? I hate to say it but you really do need to persevere with it if you are going to do this - I too got tired but if I took it around 4 or 5 in the afternoon I managed to stay up until a very early bedtime and was then fine the next day. Maybe split the tablet and go down to 12.5 mg for a while until your body gets used to it ? just my tuppence worth anyway ..... hang in there ..... it is worth it in the end,

hugs, Sun
        How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Oh, yes, keep plugging. I started it real slow, in fact I had to do the same with the Nal, I cut into fourths. I was also tired and it will get better.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, I didn't take any topa last night, slept for another 14 hours or so, but I was feeling much more alert tonight. It's hard to take something after I've had a few drinks, I've got a buzz and I know the topa will send me to sleep and make me feel like shit the next day.

I've started on 25mg, I'll try halving the tablets to take it slow. This is why the forum is so important, good advice from people who have been through the side effects and know how best to act. Thanks x

Comment

Can I bud in here??

Hello friends! I have been an on again – off again member of this forum under different alias’ for 5 years or so. I’ve had a drinking problem for 40+ years (I am 59). Strangely enough I am not physically addicted, but definitely emotionally.. It’s playing havoc with my health.

About 2 years ago I tried Naltrexone through a Canadian pharmacy.. I gave it about 4 months and the switch never did flip and I gave up on it. I should have increased the dose (I’m a larger gal – part of my health issues) or kept with it.. But, being more of an “immediate gratification” kind of person I didn’t give it the chance it deserved.

About a month ago I reread Roberta Jewell’s book and the idea of trying Topamax started sounding good.. both for the alcohol AND weight reducing properties. I am currently on week 3 which is a total of 75 mg daily –using the dosage schedule as listed in the MWO book which she got from the Lancet study.. Today is a snow day where I live and with some extra time on my hands I decided to come back to the forum and see if anyone is currently trying Topa - and lo and behold I find this thread with someone (Sunshine and Daisies) doing Nal AND Topa simultaneously!

So where did this idea come from? I still have some Nal left in my cupboard.. Is this a “thing” that is common? Anything you can do to enlighten me would be most appreciated! In the meantime I will of course dig around!

Thanks in advance!

Comment

Oh, and p.s... I have no side effects at all yet.. no tiredness or tingling or anything. Unfortunately, the "nasty" side effect of reduced appetite hasn't kicked in yet either..

Comment

Hi there not2late - you misunderstood or maybe I misunderstood - I used to take Topa - but even though it worked for me, had to stop taking it as at 300mg which was the dose that worked for me, I was very depressed - so after another year or two of struggling, decided to try Naltrexone - I started it in Jan 2015 - nearly a year ago and it has finally clicked for me. I thought it was never going to, but I did persevere - a lot of people give up thinking it isn't going to work, but to me there was no alternative. Hence keeping on plodding on with it. I did eventually up my dosage to 75mg but only after 11 months ! I do not think it a good idea to up it sooner - but that is just my opinion. I know a fair few folk who gave up on the nal, which is a shame as I do honestly think it works in the end. the trouble is with the Topa, is that when one stops taking it, then the cravings come right back - well, they did with me. With the naltrexone, yes, I always have to take a tablet if I plan on drinking but to be honest I do not really want to - I did drink Christmas day but have not since - only a few days I know but I just do not want to - unheard of for me !

The losing weight thing with Topa does not work for everyone - for some reason it seems to work for those who do not need to lose - I did not need to, and did lose weight ! I also know someone else who was very slim and she too finally had to stop taking it because she was getting dangerously thin. I would seriously consider giving the Naltrexone another try - and sticking with it - no matter how long it takes if it works in the end it is worth it !

Sun

Comment

Oh, it was me who misunderstood Sun! Thanks for writing and clarifying! Since I just started the Topa and still have high hopes for the dual help I'll just stick with it for awhile. From what I've read the magic may not happen for another couple of weeks - until I get between 200-300 mg. It's wonderful to know that I can always go back to the Nal - and I've been reading great things everywhere about it! I'm so happy it is helping you!!! Blessings to you and Happy New Year!

Comment

Hang in there Mike, it worked miracles with me and it worked at 75 for me. I am not sure how any of this works , I think I need more motivation to get any of this to work for me.

Comment

A quick update on my results with topa. Different drugs work well for some people, not so well for others, so i'm not knocking topamax, it obviously works well for a lot of people.

For me it has been bloody awful. I tried to stick with it while off work (almost 3 weeks because of the christmas shutdown) but i just slept sometimes an entire 24 hours, and when awake i was barely able to function, i was like a zombie, just surviving day to day but feeling like shit. It's hard to describe how i felt - not exactly depression, just being awake, and wanting to sleep and not being able to do anything. I literally just sat on the couch for hours some days doing nothing other than drinking, just sitting and drinking, which probably doesn't sound that bad, but it really was awful. Without the topa i could at least enjoy watching a dvd or play a videogame while i was drinking!

After a while i halved the prescription, maybe i should have quartered it, maybe i should have increased it. (Sun, i tried following your titration schedule, ty for posting it).

I haven't had any topa for a few days now and don't think i'll be taking it again, i feel so much better without it and other than the time i spent sleeping it didn't help me cut down on the drink. So just my point of view, it hasn't worked well for me, but i'm glad it does work for some.

Oh, and happy new year all, Mike :-)
                        Last edited by Mike!; January 4, 2016, 06:14 AM.

Comment

I am so sorry you wasted a whole Christmas break. I have to start all my medications slowly, and most likely I did cut it in quarters. I am doing the nal, going on 5 months. I don't know if it is working or not. I did drink much this weekend and am not happy with myself. I am hoping that since I am back to work today I will be better. So what are you going to do now?

Comment

Mike - I am so sorry that the Topa did not work out for you - as Meggie said - what are you going to try now? did you read the Eskapa book? It took a year but has definitely worked for me - since 15th December I have had about 4 drinks - 3 were Christmas day and then new Years eve I had one, then poured a second but ended up tipping it out and having a cuppa! I just do not want a drink - BUT can have one if I do want one - as long as I take the Naltrexone. have a think about it anyway - it might take a while but after all, what is the alternative?

thanks for letting us know - I was wondering about you.

hugs, Sun

Comment

Yep, totally wasted christmas break, but it was worth trying the topa while i had the chance - i was sure it would make sleep a lot which is why i waited until my holidays started before i took it. I guess i'm going back to my GP to tell him that i had bad side effects from the topa. Where i go from there i don't know. It seems I have a very good doc regarding alcoholism. Apparently not many docs will prescribe bac or topa, both of which he has given me, but i don't know if he'll prescribe me nal.

It's easy to beat yourself up for having a heavy weekend, but it's good you are getting back to work. Do you have a counsellor as well to help alongside the nal? The routine of getting back to work will be good for me as well, i only work 2 days a week but i drink so much less the nights before work, and of course i don't drink while at work, which with the travel means that i have 9 hours of my day when drinking isn't an issue.

I barely even think about drink when i'm at work, is it the same for you or do you still want to drink at work?

Comment

Hi Sun, i didn't read the eskapa book, the topa really knocked me out the past couple of weeks so i haven't really done anything since i started taking it. I'll ask my GP about nal, and i'll get around to reading the book soon(ish).

Comment

Working...
                                X