No announcement yet.

New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Happy new year all - first time here in for ever! But saw that you said it had taken me 7 months Nora - it took me nearly a year..... but I just have NO desire at all to drink now! I decided to have one about two weeks ago - took my Nal - poured my Guinness, drank about half of it and ditched the rest! That is it for me - I am finally finished with AL. Cannot believe it but I just do not want it .....in 2016 I had a total of two drinks more or less ....

Hope that this year is a good one for you all,

HUGS, Sun xx
    How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Sun, I am so happy for you. I am now 17 months, I must be one of those that it doesn't work for.

Comment

Hi there ladies. Meggie don't give up. Maybe you need to think about some other strategies as well as the Nal. I am about your age and going through ghastly and unexpected life changes but being sober surely makes this easier. You have to want to give up though and that's easier said than done.
        Great to see that things are going well for you Sun. Let's see how we can support each other

Comment

Thanks Nora for bumbing thread. :heartbeat:

Happy New Year, I hope....

Sunny, great too hear your good news. :heartbeat: I recently saw a post from DB somewhere. Any one hear from space, play, houtx, Waiting to exhale, or anyone I missed (sorry)!...

Meg, if I memeber right ur a school teacher, & you & houtx had some good convo & support. Sorry meds aren't helping. But, as TT says don't give up!.. Plz...

Spent a decade volunteering in public schools. Our teachers, are heroes!... Under, too much pressure & politics.

Youngest daughter is engaged after 6.5 yrs of courtship. Lol That's an old word. They are looking for outdoor venues.

Care to join us on word association game? Just to connect in a safe place & a little fun...

Have my Nana's old kettle going, boiling the ham bone. Some good old bone broth, veggies. Tho, didn't make it to store this wk for usual post holiday items. When I shop, try and stock up a bit. Have the basics. There are advantages to aging, I know prob wrong word, but still... It's grand too not have to try & be perfect.

Take Care
          Last edited by Wildflowers; January 1, 2017, 04:13 PM. Reason: forgot

Comment

I agree - it's wonderful not to have to feel perfect.

Sunni - I'm so happy for you. Have you read "My Grandmother Told Me to Tell You She's Sorry"? I still early in but it's so good. I hate being interrupted by anyone/anything. :haha:
            "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hi there Wildflowers and Nora - Nora, I could not get into the book that you are talking about. I DID love "A Man Called Ove" though by the same author!

Wildflowers - I have not heard from any of them - I was in touch with a few for a while but not any more. How are you doing? I do not come here enough any more to do the word association game .... sorry. Used to do the other one about ending the thread though.
              and that was fun

Hugs to all, Sun xx
              How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Hi, Sun, it has been year. So happy for you.

Comment

=sunshinedaisies;1700971
                  Wildflowers - I have not heard from any of them - I was in touch with a few for a while but not any more. How are you doing? I do not come here enough any more to do the word association game .... sorry. Used to do the other one about ending the thread though.
                  and that was fun

Hugs to all, Sun xx
                  Hi Sunni,

It can be easy to lose touch with people after time. Seasons change. Sometimes, even when we don't stay in touch, people are thought about & maybe remain in our hearts. I'm glad I was once a part of this thread. Doing OK. Happy to hear your doing well. Hopefully, your family is too. :hug:
                  Last edited by Wildflowers; January 17, 2017, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Re: New here and starting Topa and with a question

Does anyone recall the name of the book about Topa please? A friend and I were talking and she wants to read about it but I cannot recall the name of it. Thanks!

Comment

[MENTION=11021]sunshinedaisies[/MENTION]-I am not familiar with the book but if you would go to this website: www.theendofmyaddiction.org-someone there might be able to help you.

Comment

Thanks anyway Rusty …..

Comment

[MENTION=11021]sunshinedaisies[/MENTION]... I think you may be talking about the original book by Roberta Jewell titled My Way Out. That book was the reason this site was created way back when. The pdf is here: http://www.mywayout.org/blog/promotion.pdf

Her combination of supplements and hypnosis brought me my first AF days many years ago. I ended up adding Baclofen instead of Topomax, but her program got me on the road.
                          Last edited by Mom21961; October 6, 2018, 01:10 PM. Reason: Spelling
                          http://baclofentreatment.com/
                          http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org
                          http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org/f...or-alcoholism/

Comment

Mom - thank you SO much - that is indeed the book! The topa did work for me initially but I had a bad SE and finally had to stop it - but I then tried Naltrexone and am now nearly 3 years AF!
                            Last edited by sunshinedaisies; October 7, 2018, 08:01 AM.

Comment

[MENTION=11021]sunshinedaisies[/MENTION]-So happy for you on your AF Success!:sohappy: We have several people who are newbies at MWO who might find success with Naltrexone. Could you please suggest the book you purchased on Naltrexone and your titration schedule so others might benefit?

Thank you for popping back in here. I have missed you!!!!
                              Last edited by Rusty; October 7, 2018, 08:43 AM.

Comment

Hi Rusty - the book is called The Cure for Alcoholism by Dr Eskapa. Basically, one takes 50 mg of Naltrexone at least one hour every time before you start drinking. EVERY TIME and at least ONE HOUR. No exceptions. It is best to start with 25 mg for a few days to allow for any SE's (I don't recall having much of anything)then go up to the 50 mg. It is not a magic pill and it can also take a while (it took me a year before it kicked in but it did all of a sudden and overnight I just did not want to drink - I still don't, but if I did, as long as I took the nal before I had a drink I could drink). It is also good to keep a chart of how many drinks you have - it shows you how you are doing. It doesn't work for everyone and works slightly differently for some - it just takes faith and patience. You only need take the Nal if you are going to drink. Most doctors do not understand how it works and although they will prescribe it, some want you to take it daily, others say no drinking while you take it. For it to work, you HAVE to drink if you take it. If anyone wants any more info I am more than happy for them to PM me.

I am really doing well - I did miss drinking but ironically can not make myself drink. I did take a nal one New Years Eve and had half a glass - I did not want anything more and did not enjoy what I had. I keep saying it but it is surreal!

How are you doing Rusty? It is nice to see so many names that I recognize.

Hugs to you, Sun x
                                Last edited by sunshinedaisies; October 8, 2018, 06:35 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X