New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

so I got a script for topamax yesterday. I plan on filling it tonight and taking 25mg. she said take 25 mg for 4 days or so then call her and confer about the titration.sun, do you think four days is too soon to bump it up? of course if I feel funky, I won't titrate up. she seemed to think the SE's of Topa are less than what I've seen described here by some folks. I generally tolerate drugs well (did plenty in my younger years hehe) looking forward to seeing what this does. I'm gonna keep taking the Nal before drinking when I drink. you never know. If I get to a point where cravings are gone or almost gone, I won't care how it happened or what made it happen. as long as it happens

Comment

Sun, we will be going to Des Moines. Leaving on the 21st, coming home on New Year's Day. This is where my husband grew up.

Still no Nal. I have been drinking more, but nothing too major. I've just been burning the candle at both ends and am really tired!! Too much going on with the holidays! I'm hoping to catch up on some rest this weekend. Like I said, tonight I get to go out with my husband, and actually we get to go out again on Saturday as well and I think we'll be going to the movies. Once again I don't have time to write more.

Joe, attached is the topa schedule.

Love to all!!

Illuminae Attached files attachment.txt (1.4 KB)

Comment

Oh and Joe, you can download the book via this website. I tried to attach the whole thing so you didn't have to pay for it but it was too big and it wouldn't let me. let me see if I can email it to you.

Comment

Hello everyone.

I'm glad to have more people here! Welcome Britches!

I haven't read many posts, but wanted to check in.

As I posted, I decided to start again with the schedule. I was taking 25mg of Topa but caught a horrible flu and stopped (again) taking it. Today I started once more!

My drinking has significantly increased since I discontinued. I'm back to drinking a bottle or more. I urgently need to get back on track.

I ordered Nal. It hasn't arrived yet.

Joe, here is the tiration schedule:

WEEK1: Morning Dose 0 mg WEEK 1 Afternoon Dose 1 x 25 mg

WEEK 2:Morning Dose0 mg WEEK 2 Afternoon Dose2 x 25 mg

WEEK 3:Morning Dose1 x 25 mg WEEK 3 Afternoon Dose 2 x 25 mg

WEEK 4: Morning Dose2 x 25 mg WEEK 4 Afternoon Dose2 x 25 mg

WEEK 5: Morning Dose2 x 25 mg WEEK 5 Afternoon Dose 1 x 100 mg

WEEK 6: Morning Dose1 x 100 mg WEEK 6 Afternoon Dose 1 x 100 mg

WEEK 7: Morning Dose 1x 100mg & 2x25mg (total 150 mg) WEEK 7 Afternoon Dose: Same as morn.

WEEK 8: Morning Dose 1x100 mg & 2x25mg (total 150 mg) Week8 Afternoon Dose: Same as morn

WEEKS 9-12 all the same as week 8, giving you a total of 300 mg a day

HUGS!

Comment

Oh, well you have emails blocked. PM me your email if you want me to try to send it to you.

Comment

Joe - yes I do think 4 days is too soon to bump it up - stay on it for a week! It doesn't make it work any faster when you titrate up faster! It really doesn't!!! Stay on the 25 mg for a week - I am up to my eyes right now but I promise I will have the titration schedule here for you in the next few days - I went by the book and when I did that, it did work. when I veered off the book, it didn't! that might just be me, but others have also found that. You can do what you want of course - all I am saying is what worked for me. I know it is tempting to want to go faster - your choice. Read back and see what others have said. All I can say is what worked best for me. I really will post the schedule in the next few days - I am off from 3.30 tomorrow afternoon and all day Sunday!

Hugs to you, Sun xxx
              How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

AIRAM - THANK YOU !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I really do thank you SO much!!! I am not sure why I didn't see those before I posted! Duh !! illum - shame it wasn't near St Louis!

Hugs, Sun xx
                How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Hi Everyone!
                  Well the topa was starting to work after 5 days @ 25m I went to bunco had a glass of champagne w/cranberry juice really did not want any more and had not darnk anything for 4 days-wine being my drink of choice. My husband had eye surgery on that day when we went back to dr on Fri am it did not work so we had an emergency! another surgery and problems with my daughter and grandson -I was so stressed by the time the day ended I drank 3 glasses of wine! I was unable to take topa yesterday as I did not get home til late-so.........back on track today. Thanks for listening all.
                  xoxo
                  Britches
                  sigpic[I]

Comment

Hi Britches - interesting choice of name - how did it come about - just curious..... anyway - well done with just having three glasses - with something like that happening, I think I would have ended up having more simply to stress!! So go you! Hope hubs is doing well?

I know all about problems with daughters and grandchildren....you have my sympathy!!! PM me if ever you need to!

Illum - how are things going? Do you ever get to St Louis when you travel? that would be awesome!

WTE - how goes stuff with you?? Still waiting to hear how you are?

Houtx - oh Houtx - where are you - what is happening in your neck of the woods?

Airam - lovely that you popped in and thank you so much for posting the titration schedule!! How are you doing??

Joe - let us know how you are doing too.........

All you others - Anne, and everyone else that used to be here - check in with us - it would be lovely to hear from you!

hugs to all,

Love, Sun xx

Comment

Hi Sun:
                      Britches is actually a nickname I have had for many years given by my husband who by the way is not doing as well as he would like very hard on him....took my topa today am a little tired think it has something to do with all the chaos of yesterday!
                      Anyway I am committed to the journey. Grandson has the stomach flu -daughter is better today-
                      Hope all is well and getting better for everyone on our topa thread! Let us keep it going!
                      xoxo
                      Britches
                      sigpic[I]

Comment

Britches, my best thoughts going out to your husband and grandson, and of course to you too!!

Sun, no, St. Louis has never really popped up on my travel radar sad to say.

As of Friday I am on week 8 and up to the full 300mg. Also, finally got the mail slip yesterday that my Nal has arrived, so I'll be able to pick that up tomorrow. Another very busy weekend with another breakthrough milestone for me.

I don't know if it's the cumulative effect of the Nal extinction and the addition of the Topa or what, but I feel I've really turned a corner and I'll use the events of Friday as my strongest example. Had a holiday party Friday afternoon that started at 1:30 pm. A lunch buffet and white elephant gift exchange that is a famous good time that lasts for several hours and gets pretty crazy. (I skipped one year because I was embarrassed about the previous year, by the way.) But anyway, I went this year just excited to have fun, no worries about getting stupid or anything. Anyway, had a very pleasant time and had 2 1/2 glasses of wine over 3 hours. When it was over I had no trouble walking away from that 1/2 glass that was still sitting on the table. I had a full hour before I had to pick up my kids. I can tell you WITHOUT QUESTION that had not been on any of these treatments I would have either gone to the bar in this restaurant (either alone or convinced some like minded people to join me), or gone down the road on my own to spend that hour squeezing in one or two more drinks. Then I would have picked up my kids, gone home and quickly gotten ready for my date with my husband. Instead I picked up the kids and got a short cat nap while waiting for my husband to pick up the sitter and get home.

** Short intermission: By the way at the 250mg dose plus all that I've had going on over the past week I have been really tired and falling asleep a lot! **

So hubs and I went to a nice dinner, ordered a bottle of wine of which he drank the majority. Then we went shopping for a while. Then back home. at home we watched one, 1 hour show and I had one more glass of wine from a bottle that had been left from a previous night. Decided to open a new one and watch one more one hour show. DH went to bed. I finished the show, but did not finish the glass of wine. Went to bed with an almost completely full bottle of wine and a half full glass of wine!!!!

Now dear friends, that whole day is huge progress for me. I may never be "normal." I may still drink nearly every day. But if I can stop after starting? HUGE!! If I can leave a glass or bottle behind? Also HUGE!!! (I did it numerous times this week!!!) That is some type of a cure that I will accept!! My goal was never sobriety. Never thought that would work for me anyway, especially in my marriage. So I'll take that and hope it sticks. I mean, if my husband never has to pick me up off the floor from one of his holiday parties, I'll take it. If a stranger never has to drive me home and to pick up my kid from school, I'll most definitely take that. If I never have to pretend like I remember what I called someone up and said to them the night before, well I'll take that too.

Thank you all for your caring and support. You're the best!!!!

:h :l :h :l

Illuminae

Comment

WAY TO GO ILLUM That sounds amazing! I am SO pleased for you. I know what you mean about the no drinking thing but yours sounded good - YOU were in control - the drink wasn't controlling you. I am so pleased for you and proud of you. Well done my friend!!

Hugs to you,

love, Sun xxx

Comment

Ilum, I m so glad for you. :l

Comment

Ilum:goodjob:
                              This is great progress!
                              xoxo
                              Britches
                              sigpic[I]

Comment

Thank you! And I also forgot to mention - I've come out of my alcoholic bubble in another very significant way that I wanted to mention, part of what started me on this journey in the first place. I realized I had almost no friends, didn't know how to interact with my kids' school/other parents, etc.

Lately I have made friends with several parents and have been arranging play dates/sleepovers, bonded more closely with their teachers, etc. Am making friends and being a better parent. One of my big goals from the beginning is becoming a reality. Soo happy about that. Thanks again!!!

Comment

Working...
                                X