New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sun -- can I just say that, well, you are a ray of sunshine! How wonderful you are to check in on us newbies when you have been on the topa journey much longer. and breast cancer. you are amazing. I am ashamed to say that only the stress of daily life has led me to drink. not a life threatening disease. wow. I'm sure your story is much more than that but I just mean that I've never faced anything that bad, you know?
    so you must know SO MUCH about all of the estrogens and estrogenic properties in EVERYTHING!!! isn't it alarming??? I had postpartum depression after both of my girls (mostly manifested in anxiety but also sadness) and after my miscarriage (1.5 years ago) I feel like I never got "right" again. so I did a lot of research and it's terrifying to eat anything or take any supplements! I took evening primrose and chasteberry for 4 weeks to even out my PMS related mood and ended up 8 pounds heavier. argh! and I had just read on these boards that topa can cause a lot of fatigue and muscle weakness/soreness. in reading all of that though, i've been so encouraged that on your first round of topa (and second i guess) you didn't have as many of the textbook SEs. I hope I'm the same!

Houtx -- you're so right! no matter how we cut it, whatever "too much wine" is for each of us is just too much wine! I meant I drink (unless it's the night before a long run or a race) a standard bottle and a half of wine each night. YUCK! My husband got laid off in March (I'm a stay @ home mom so only 1 income) and we joked a lot because he started drinking junk beer out of a can (although he can stop at one or two without a second glance) and I switched to the franzia boxed wine (am a major wine lover and cook so we always drank the good stuff). Anyway, he's got a great new job now but I think the boxed stuff and not having the concrete measurement of dumping an empty bottle in the recycling every night is what put me in the "bottle and a half" territory. sigh.

you all are on the Topa and sound like you're doing so much better than me! pray for the GP's script on monday! the kudzu seems to not be doing anything at all. i love the L-Glut but more for the appetite suppressant and boost in my mood and energy. doesn't seem to be working on cravings. hubby and I only have mastercard and amex so I can't order topa from most of the websites mentioned on these boards. what to do????

and since i didn't say it...I'm 32 and 5'9", 155 lbs. on the eve of my fastest marathon i was 135. that's my happy weight. was still nursing at the time though which always helped me with the lbs (and with not drinking like a fish). still, 135 even seems higher than so many here but i guess i'm "athletically built"
    "Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them. Every day begin the task anew." -- St Francis de Sales

Comment

oh, I can't tell you how glad I am we have an active Topa thread going here!!

I have been drink a "Detox tea" everyday which speaks to the liver function - trying to stay away from coffee, although a cup or two every now and then doesn't hurt. The detox tea tastes good - very "herbally" (thank you, Pee Wee Herman)...it's a trip this whole "hoping for indifference"!! Just keeping my fingers crossed for us all -

I live by myself. I am a young 57, 2 practically grown kids who do not live with me, I date when I want to (ugh - it's a pain in the neck really), but I am mostly happy, stay in shape, good job, good hobbies, active, friends, enjoy my solitude, etc...I don't know that I have a grip on this whole thing. I am a functioning alcoholic. I have tried TSM and BAC. Both did not work for me, except that I started becoming more aware of how much I was drinking...I've had some horribly embarrassing moments. I wish I could stop for days/weeks on end and then have a few...or maybe 1 or 2 everyday (after being AF for an extended period of time!). I wish I could not think about having wine unless I was having a stressful day - kinda like what "normal" people" do - altho most normal people I know drink pretty regularly...

Anyway - I'd like to not think about it. Not want to come onto sites like this and seek solace.
      But I am glad to find it here w/ you good people!! Hope you will continue to post no matter how trivial. I, for one, find much strength in the posts from users of Topa amid the BAC users. So hope to continue to hear from you all as we go along -

Comment

houtx - just like all of those people who don't have to worry about their weight (it's been a battle for me since 18) i also have wanted to be one of those who was not thinking constantly about wine (or resolving to not have it) for the last 9 or 10 years. i want to be "normal" too. "Gosh, what a day...might have a glass of wine with dinner to unwind..." That sounds unreal to me too, just like all those lucky ones (like my husband!) who aren't consumed by every pound and calorie all day long. And I have 2 daughters...I spend the rest of my time praying they won't have to worry about either one...
        I agree...this thread is a lifeline. I'll be here.
        "Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them. Every day begin the task anew." -- St Francis de Sales

Comment

2run - I never think about my BC as some thing that was particularly special - just something else that one has to deal with - I am a bit of a Pollyanna in that way so it really was no big deal to me - my chemo was dreadful and my onc wanted to put me in the hospital afterward but I wouldn't let him because if he did I wouldn't be able to drink (how awful is that!!!!!!!!). A mark of a true alcoholic!!!!! a really good functioning alcoholic though - that no-one knew about!!! I also feel slightly guilty when you say that i am good to check in when I have been on the Topa journey journey much longer - yes I have but have failed and am back where you all are, much to my chagrin. Not that I wouldn't be back here helping anyway - but I am SO cross with myself for stopping the Topa before I should have done, but I thought I was fine now!!!! I know one thing - once I get free again, I WILL be back here helping newbies even when I am free and clear - I was so stupid to start again. SO STUPID. LISTEN ALL OF YOU. DON'T THINK ONCE YOU HAVE STOPPED WITH THE TOPA THAT YOU ARE GOOD TO GO. I AM PROOF OF THAT. So So Stupid.

2run - calling it a GP - are you in England? I am English - living in USA. I hope that your doc gives you the Topa. Just follow the MWO titration schedule. I have it if you don't. I do have to e-mail it to you, but if you don't mind giving me your e-mail, I have no problem with that.

Houtx - I laughed at you not wanting to come onto sites like this!!!!! 'nuff said!!

Time for bed - said Zebedee - LOL

Hugs to you all,

hugs, Sun xx
          How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Well Sun, at least you are back on the topa now and will know what to do! is it helping as much this time? and funny, no, I'm not English although I did grow up partially in London. I also lived in Illinois with my hubby when we were first married!
            I have the book and the titration schedule. I've read a little bit about RJ changing her dosages of some of the supplements. Is that true?
            Happy weekend!

Comment

I've been taking 100 Topa but drinking over it. So, today I am increasing and really going to work on this. I know that when I was at 200, I was doing well. I need to get back to that point. I was glad to find this thread.
              "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
              AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hi Nora - welcome! I wondered if I was maybe drinking over the Topa - I work evening shift tonight. Don't have any Guinness in the house - only thing we have that I would drink is brandy - and that only in a cup of coffee, so I am not going to stop on the way home, and am going to come home, have a cup of coffee (decaf) with brandy in it - have to have some AL or I will have a night of torture with no sleep - and see. If I can do that then it will show me that I am drinking over the Topa. The thought of it isn't sending me into a panic so I am wondering if I am.... thanks Nora for making me think of it!!

Hugs to you all

Sun xx
                How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

How much are you taking Sun? I stopped taking my afternoon dose and that's when my trouble started again. I'm going to start taking it again and I'm hoping it will help. I know it was working before.
                  AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hi Nora - this week I went up to 150 mg am then 150 mg pm !!! Although I take my pm dose mid afternoon otherwise I am groggy the next morning if I take it in the evening. If I take it mid afternoon it doesn't bother me! Got to go to work - talk later,

Love, Sun xx

Comment

Hi Guys!
                      Question...if my doc will prescribe the topa, I know that my prescription insurance is better for the generics...Does anyone know if there is a big difference between Topmax and the generic? The med itself might be the same cost as the brand name but I have a copay with the brand name and none with the generic. Just wondering if it's worth it to pay the copay for the brand?

thanks!

Comment

I am using the generic. I thought that I noticed a few more side effects when I switched to the generic but they passed. I am happy with the generic.
                        AF - 7-27-15

Comment

Hi - I am using Topirimate - which I suppose is the generic - that is all I have ever been given so have no idea if it is any better or worse than the Topamax.

Hugs, sun xx

Comment

I'm also taking the generic. Nothing to compare with though...

Sunny, I'm taking 50mg right now. I'm following the MWO chart. I'm sure it will kick in soon for you. Hang in there! You are a very kind person.

I want to say thank you to everyone who has written in this thread. I'm so glad. I feel this is a great community, very diverse and very rich (is that the right word? English is not my language, I' sorry.)

Just that, a very big THANK YOU a hug for anyone who needs it.

Comment

Airam - you are doing wonderfully with your writing of English - I am sure that I couldn't do it if I had to write in a different language - so very well done!!! Last night I had two brandies in coffee when I got home from work - and tipped half of the 2nd one away - so I know that the Topa is kicking in for me. At last - thank goodness. I think is is lovely that we all have this thread going and are here helping each other and cheering each other on - it is always good to feel that one is not alone and has support - yes?

Have a wonderful day fellow Topa folk!!

Hugs, Sun xx

Comment

Sunshine, that's great. Maybe just not having it around is half the battle. I ought to consider that. You have a second or third-best alternative that doesn't really thrill you but you can live with, so you don't drink much of it. I'm at 75mg now and don't really crave the wine anymore. I find myself drinking more out of habit. The appetite suppression has finally kicked in -- good thing, gotta lose that dang baclofen weight! So you are at 300mg now, wow. Do you have any SEs? Glad to hear you are experiencing results.

Comment

Working...
                                X