New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SYDNEY! How lovely to see you - I was wondering if you were still around. So we have lured you out with our Topa thread - how are you doing? Are you still AF? Are you still taking Topa? You may or may not have read what happened to me (Silly girl wasn't I?). Would LOVE to know how you are doing. Either PM me or answer here? great to see you again!

Hugs, Sun xx
    How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

thank you so much for your thoughts sidney!! so in your experience, there was no buzz with wine and beer? I took 25mg last night and didn't feel the effects of the wine as much. do you feel that 100mg would be enough if I am AF? thank you again for your insight. congratulations on your incredible AF!!!!!!
      "Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them. Every day begin the task anew." -- St Francis de Sales

Comment

also, i guess i have to be really careful that i don't end up drinking more on the topa. if you don't get the buzz from wine anymore, if i'm not careful i'll end up drinking more wine to try to find the buzz, you know? i don't really drink hard AL. maybe a few margaritas a year and that's really it. wine is my only weakness...
        "Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them. Every day begin the task anew." -- St Francis de Sales

Comment

2Run, I understand you very well. I haven't had the courage to talk to my doctor about my alcohol problem. I'm glad I live in a country where Topa is (still) sold over the counter.

Nora, Sunny and Syndey- you've talked about drinking over the Topa. I don't understand what does that mean. Can you elaborate a little for me please? I'm worried because of what you said Sydney Can you suggest me something?

houtx! that's great news!!

Comment

Good morning all - well, I had one brandy with decaf coffee before bed last night, also took a melatonin and slept like the dead! I closed at work last night so didn't get home til late and didn't get to bed til 1.00 so slept in this morning but could have slept longer! Now I just have to take the final plunge and stop that brandy and coffee before bed.

Houtx - I am thinking maybe the Topa is kicking in - the first thing I noticed (apart from the obvious - tingles, weight loss etc.) was that I didn't want to drink Guinness - I still wanted to drink, but Guinness had lost it's appeal, so I switched to Kahlua and Milk - and a brandy in decaf coffee before bed! then gradually stopped the kahlua etc, and then cut down on the brandy. Obviously Topa works differently for each of us but it might just be sort of settling in to your body?

Indi - great on 3 days AF! And without the Topa kicking in - that is awesome - I couldn't do it without the Topa so you have my every admiration!!! Go You!!!

2run - I would possibly get some on-line but would wait and see how you go with it yet. Some folk don't need to go that high - it might not suit you - many reasons why to wait. but it is an option. I understand with insurance and records - I (hubs) is retired military so insurance and records don't really matter to me. I am so pleased that you got it - go up by the schedule in the book, it is better for the SE (if you are to get any - I didn't even look to see what they were). anyway - here's hoping for you!

Hugs to all, Sun xxxx
            How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Well my dear I was Af for almost 11 months. I took the Topa for 6 months of it. Then weaned myself off it. And I am had a relapse this month for a couple of weeks. We alll have our issues Sun.

But I am back not drinking for over a week and vow to stay that way. I don't have any Topa left unfortunately. But I am still a big fan of it. Anything that helps.

Comment

I found that I did not want to drink wine and beer as I did not get the same hit from it.
                And in general alcohol did not appeal to me. Drinking over it means you drink something you can get a buzz from like vodka. Or you keep drinking when you body doesn't really want it because the addict little voice compells you to. If that makes sense.

Like Sun didn't want her beer but could stll drink her brandy. That's how the Topa worked for me. I found 100 mg a good dose for me as well.

Comment

I agree - we all have our issues - I thought I was fine when I weaned myself off it and possibly would have been, but then broke my foot and was stuck at home for a couple of weeks, bored etc., etc., and- well, the rest is history - I hate the thought of being on it for ever - one of the reasons I decided to come off it was that my mood seemed to be kind of flat so I wanted to see if it would change with no Topa - the funny (ironic) thing is that with no Topa my mood stayed the same, but once I was drinking again, I turned into my old happy self!! This time, even with the Topa, although I am only having one drink a day so far my mood is great. I am pleased that you are doing so well - how do you stop without it? The cravings do me in every time!!

Hugs to you - again, great to hear from you - you were so helpful to me at my beginning.

Sunshine xx

Comment

Well I don't know if I am doing so well. I did not make it to a year. I just have to quit so I ignore the cravings. I was only drinking for a realitive short time so they are not so strong.
                    It is nice to see you too. I am sure you can get back to where you were. Just takes time and determination. I wish i could buy Topa over the counter. It is hard to even get it online and delievered to Canada.

Comment

Whoops hugs to you too.

Comment

okay...WHOA. Had a single dose of the 25mg last night at 6pm. I had my usual 2 cups of coffee this morning and now at 10:30am I am so shaky and buzzed that it's freaking me out. It feels like I've had 3 pots of coffee. Anyone know about Topa and caffeine??? This is bizarre. Or is this what the topa dopa feels like? I feel like I'm wired and on another planet...

Comment

Yeah, - I Loooooooved Vodka,but I did not love the hangovers, the weight gain, the fights,the making the ass out of myself, the guilt and everything else that came along with it. So when I found this book
                          My Way Out- I could not believe that some drug for migraines could help alcoholics!
                          I've tried-AA, Rehab, Inpatient,outpatient,I have read 1000's of self help books & I just turned forty.
                          So needless to say, I've been looking for help for a long time.
                          I Logged on to this website, saw that a bunch of people had success with this drug. Well guess what?
                          Now I'm one of them. Where was this info years ago?
                          I feel like going to every AA meeting, and telling everybody they should be reading this book!

Comment

2Run - The side effects passed quickly with me. :l Some people couldn't take it and had to stop. I would just cut back on the caffeine for a couple days. Plenty of water though.

Sid - :l:l I'm back on the Topa now. I had stopped. But, I'm not going to get anywhere if I don't take it. I'm sabatoging myself.
                            "Only I can change my life. No one can do it for me.".....Carol Burnett
                            AF - 7-27-15

Comment

2Run;948230 wrote: okay...WHOA. Had a single dose of the 25mg last night at 6pm. I had my usual 2 cups of coffee this morning and now at 10:30am I am so shaky and buzzed that it's freaking me out. It feels like I've had 3 pots of coffee. Anyone know about Topa and caffeine??? This is bizarre. Or is this what the topa dopa feels like? I feel like I'm wired and on another planet...
                              I felt like that for 3 or 4 days but I hardly have side effects now. Today I switched to 75.
                              In fact hangovers are a lot worse.

Thank you Sidney.
                              Does Topamax have a similar effect to Naltrexone? as I understand Topamax is an anti-craving drug and Naltrexone is an opiate blocker. From your post I get that Topa also blocks pleasure from alcohol (but not as strong as Naltrexone), am I getting it wrong? sorry for so many questions.

Comment

Thank you Sidney.
                                Does Topamax have a similar effect to Naltrexone? as I understand Topamax is an anti-craving drug and Naltrexone is an opiate blocker. From your post I get that Topa also blocks pleasure from alcohol (but not as strong as Naltrexone), am I getting it wrong? sorry for so many questions.
                                That's how I read it too, and I've read that Topa is a dopamine blocker (dopamine is what gives us the high from alcohol). I've read on these boards though that some people end up getting very drunk on relatively small amounts of beer or wine. So that makes me confused.
                                Airam, are you still drinking? How do you feel AL effects you on the topa?

Comment

Working...
                                X