New here and starting Topa and with a question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2Run;948355 wrote: That's how I read it too, and I've read that Topa is a dopamine blocker (dopamine is what gives us the high from alcohol). I've read on these boards though that some people end up getting very drunk on relatively small amounts of beer or wine. So that makes me confused.
    Airam, are you still drinking? How do you feel AL effects you on the topa?
    Yes, sadly I am. Except from one day when I felt nothing when drinking , I think alcohol is affecting me exactly the same way than before.

Comment

Hi all - 2run - I am not sure if the Topa affects the caffeine relationship - it might do - when I first started taking it, as my caffeine came from a can, I also cut down on that too - so wasn't drinking much of it and I drink decaf coffee. try having one cup maybe and see how it goes - the SE generally pass pretty quickly, so I wouldn't worry too much. Do you drink coffee all day or just in the AM?

Have faith - great to see you again - haven't we got a great thread going here? How are you feeling - what amount of Topa are you up to? How are you feeling? Good for those starting out to know where others are....

Airam - not sure if Sid will say any different,and I welcome her input - she was there for me - but I found the Topa did seem to make the AL affect me more - but then I didn't have as much of it (AL). I hadn't thought about changing to Brandy over Guinness to still get the buzz - I was just thinking of having something to have before bed so I could sleep - talk about denial - hell, that AL is SO sneaky. then of course I tell myself it IS just ONE. So, it does affect one more, but it also lessens the pleasure - if that makes any sense at all. What do you think Sidney??

I agree with you Nora - sabotaging oneself.!! Seems I am doing a grand job of that too right now. "SIGH".

Hugs to all of you.

Sun xx
      How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

Well I think it effects Dopamine for sure. I really haven't drank on it until I started to drink over it. In order to get a high I had to drink a lot or drink high test. Vodka or gin. Then if I got a hangover I stopped taking it and kept drinking. When I am hungover I jsut cannot stomach the Topa it makes me tired at the best of times.

I would think Sun you are not getting a high from just one brandy. I am not the expert but I have quit several times using the Topa. Now if I could stay quit that would be something.
        I think that is a problem with Topa for me it helps me quit but I have to learn how to be sober without it. thought I had it beat last time. sigh

Drink lots of water try to limit the caffenie switch to tea. Coffee mades me loopy but I still drink a ton of it.

Comment

Hi everyone,
          I am on 40 days AF, 125mg of Topa and doing great. I 've just decided its time to do this!
          I've got alot of stress going on in my life right now as well- I'm moving!
          So I figure if I can get through this AF( Cause I love this house & neighbors)then I'll be just fine.
          so wish me luck!

Comment

I have faith in you Have Faith. So happy you are having success with the Topa. Many people have not been able to take it because of the side effects. Mine were not bad not compared to a hangover!

Comment

I do wish you all the best Have faith - moving is just SO high stress - hang in there and keep taking the Topa - you are lucky it works for you at such a low dose - wish mine would have worked at a lower dose!! Wishing you all the best with your move.

hugs, Sun xx
              How simple it is to see that we can only be happy now and there will never be a time when it is not now....

Comment

i usually just have one or two cups of coffee first thing in the morning. actually, it's espresso which is much lower in caffeine than coffee. i never drink soda. i'll cut back the caffeine to see if that helps for a few days. the other thing that could be making matters worse is that i'm not AF or modding yet. had my usual amount of wine last night. could account for the jitters??

i've also noticed that i am really irritable today and my knees hurt????!!!! is that strange????
                "Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them. Every day begin the task anew." -- St Francis de Sales

Comment

That quickly? Yeh - maybe you are just feeling irritable today!!! LOL

hugs, sun xx

Comment

Thank you for your support, my doctor told me to stay in the 100's this month, I can go up in 30 days if needed. The only real side effects I'm having are the tingling in my feet, and about an hour after a dose I really shouldn't be typing or talking for awhile(hence the the Dopa!)

Comment

I am so impressed with all of you! Hope I can be there soon...

So...CDs...worth it??? I have two small children so my only chance to listen will probably be right before bed...

And we've touched on this but can you all post your weight loss? Being 10# overweight is part of my big motivation to mod (I'm know, I'm vain but as a runner I feel significantly better at a lighter weight). I eat really well (lean protein, clean, super healthy whole grains, veggies and fruits...minimal dairy and red meat...it's just the darn WINE!). :thanks:
                      "Do not lose courage in considering your own imperfections, but instantly set about remedying them. Every day begin the task anew." -- St Francis de Sales

Comment

I lost 15- 20 lbs - although I didn't need nor really want to. Maybe 10 would have been enough - have always been a bit of a string bean!! When I went off it, I gained back about 7 and have stayed there which is fine with me.

Sun xx

Comment

I lost 12 lbs initial because the Topa made me feel slightly sick all the time. I put about 3 or 4 back on when I went off. And I ws starving.

Comment

Oh - you asked about the CD's - I meditate - well, I do when I haven't had a drink so didn't feel that for me the Cd's would be worth it. lots of others think they are worth it, so I think it is a personal thing. you might post in the general discussion and ask there and see what the general consensus is. For me though, it was a no - I have lots of stuff along those lines.

hugs, sun xx

Comment

When I first quit drinking- for about 13 days straight, I could not stop eating chocolate!(I mean I would wake up craving it!) I didn't really put on any weight, cause I'm pretty high strung(that's one of the main reasons I liked to drink, I liked the way it brought me down).
                              But within the past week I've lost a few pounds- I'm just not as hungry!

Comment

Airam, from what I gather, topa and naltroxene have totally different methods of operation. I did TSM (The Sinclair Method) for almost a year and had no luck. That was supposed to reprogram the pleasure sensors for alcohol so you no longer wanted to drink. Unfortunately, it only made me not want sex. Same for baclofen. I hope topa doesn't do the same!

houtx, hooray for you. I might start on 100mg tomorrow. It's my day to increase. That seems to be the dosage where people start seeing results. I'm drinking a little less but not much.

sidney, thanks for sharing your wisdom and experience (same to sunshinedaisies.) There is not a lot of info out there on topa. Again, I'm terrified my hair will fall out -- noticing shedding already -- which is why I 'm afraid to up my dose. But I'm taking all the supplements.

I had high hopes for TSM and baclofen, neither of which worked, so I'm afraid to put too much into topa. But I'm following the program and everyone's progress and wishing luck to everyone.

Comment

Working...
                                X