Baclofen after the Switch - to taper or not to taper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Neva, I'm sorry you has such a lousy day. Hang though. It's not all for nothing. I looked at that little bottle of pills first thing this morning and wanted to do something violent to it. Like, I wonder what would happen if I stuffed the bottle in the microwave and cooked it on high for 20 minutes or so? We don't have a garbage disposal, but our chain saw would probably work. So would a hammer. Instead I made a glass of Ovaltine and swallowed three of the little bastard evil bacs.

Thanks, Muchthought. It's helpful to be reminded of all the things that are not happening but otherwise would surely be.

Keep pushing through it, Neva. It will work if you can hang in there. I really believe that.

Tracy

?Our freedom can be measured by the number of things we can walk away from.?
    - Vernon Howard

Comment

Me, too, Tracy.

I apologize for the digression into areas of expertise, or worse, motives. So silly and so sinister.

Your thoughts when I read them this morning helped me to trust the medicine and the journey. Thank you.

An aside in order to back-track a little, I don't doubt that there is some professional interest in this site. (I hope.) I'd be curious if I were in the field.
      When I first got on here I wondered why doctors weren't weighing in left and right. And some have. But of course, there is no way to do that 'professionally' other than an open letter to the community. I am so grateful that Ameisen decided to do that. Reading that, believing that it was he who wrote it, was another stepping stone for me in this process.
      I am ashamed that I said I would regret writing the book if I were in his shoes.

If I hadn't been able to find his book, in the library mind you, I would most likely still be in a state of free fall misery. Instead I have a bevy of information I didn't know existed, and hope for an alcoholic-free future.
      This path is uncomfortable, for sure. But isn't anything life-altering?
      Thanks so much, Much. You're post was...:thanks:
      And Tracy, the microwave would smell terrible and make a mess I wouldn't clean up for a week. The hammer is sort of empty, the pills don't shatter. The chainsaw? overkill. The bottom line? Any of those methods would be much more satisfying on a bottle.
      I'm wearing cranky-pants, and don't speak yoda at the moment.

Comment

Wish I could edit to say that today was a much better day...

Comment

Ne
          Love you. I get very strange feelings at times.

That's why we're here, right.
          Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 3.125mg/Kg

Comment

Oh, Ig. Bleeding heart gusher, indeed.
            The sentiment is returned. Kind of strange isn't it? and yet, not totally uncomfortable.
            :l
            I'm heading over to consolidated. Though that definitely feels uncomfortable.
            ne

Comment

Titrating down

Heya Folks

Well I'm beyond pleased at how Bac has worked for me. I hit my switch in the upper 300's, but of course was feeling rotten. I've titrated down to 180 at this point, but I'm still not really feeling myself. Tired and foggy, though not nearly as bad as it was. Plus splitting the dose in 4 has seemed to help.

I've been drinking very moderately. A glass or two of wine with dinner, sometimes a beer or two. I'm also still smoking - when I was at higher doses I really wasn't interested in smoking at all, but smoked anyways out of habit, and for something to do while I sat around the house dealing with my SE's. Now I feel a slight desire for cigarette's, plus the habit aspect, but because of the bac, it would be really easy to stop, which I may do even today.

I noticed a slight craving for alcohol last night. More of a "a glass of wine would be nice with dinner" thing. I was worried that I would want more. I did have a couple of glasses of wine, but didn't feel the need to continue at all. Two small scotches later. This was over about 5 hours. It wasn't a craving thing, and I never desired to progress to inebriation.

But I don't feel I can continue at even this relatively small dose. I think I'll go down again today to 160 for a week. I'm happy to hear that some people are maintaining at 80 and 100. I'm just worried about the cravings returning, but then I could just bump up again I suppose...

Any thoughts?

Comment

Hey Paul

Welcome , I saw you over on a few threads and was going to answer on the tapering one but now we're here.

Your ordeal was quiet arduous and I for one would love to hear the story from your side.

There's a lot to be learnt on this site but I think it helps to be a bit obsessive about it or else it can become very disjointed.

Anyway, its great that you're here and look forward to hearing your point of view on things

EDIT: HA I DID POST IT HERE SO I WILL POST IT AGAIN OVER ON BAC DIARY WHERE YOU INTRODUCED YOURSELF

Comment

Paul, I don't know where you'll check in, but I'm really glad you're here and doing so well!

I would second ig's response, :welcome: and keep us posted, if you would! Success stories abound these days, but we really can't have enough of them. It helps us all stay focused on the goal!

Comment

Welcome, Paul!

Dr. Levin advised me that if I want to titrate up or down it has to be in small amounts, like in 10 mg. for a week. Currently I am at 90 mg. and am AF about 95% of the time. When I drink, it's one glass of wine with friends or family and I have no problem stopping. I am thrilled to see your success story.

I'm off to Spain so I better get to the airport. Will check in later. Hi Neva, Ig, Is, Low, and whoever else stops by.

Comment

Rusty goes to Spain,

Low's memory of Spain:

A long long time ago:

September 2010

I had a bachelor's weekend in Spain. My psychiatrist belongs to the same group as the one who was about to get married. (yes, in Holland we don't have ethics)

At noon, during lunch, he discussed with me a book of a guy called Ameisen. He had read it and suggested me to read it.

Late at night I was of course the only one left at the bar. Lights on, totally pissed, leaning on two Spanish angels. When things didn't work out the way I 'planned', I threw a motor-bike against the ground. Then I got into a rather tough fight with the owner of that bike, who accidently was also the receptionist of the hotel I was staying in. Guardia Civil and all, coming and going, three times. Me, totally freaked out of my mind, actually believing what I was doing was the only right thing to do. OMG, I'm glad that those days are over.

The wedding was a few weeks later. Everybody was still talking about that. The story of the bachelor's weekend. Man, how I felt ashamed there. At least I was able to play a nice accoustic song at the ceremonies, so I could at least show a bit of my 'other side'.

Low

back to on-topic

Comment

There's a song lurking in your last post Low.

And just to follow the theme I shall also be away from my desk for about a month, This time I'm going to where the sun don't shine and the internet is better that here, England.

If any of my old buddies have a plan for a w/e in Amsterdam, I'll be pming you for the name of your bar.

FTR I'm at 110mg and still no cravings but I can see me turning into a cantankerous bastard again! No discernible SEs to speak of. Which is a great relief.

Comment

Working...
                        X