Progress thread for ne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress thread for ne

Ya know, I come here every once in a while, cos you are all so familiar to me now....6 months down the track. I come to see how everyone is doing......bac or not. I don't even know if I get read any more, you know, because of the "ignore" button. Wow what a new invention. Let's just ignore the drunks on here.....unless they are taking bac.

Funnily enough when I came here for the first time, not taking Baclofen, I was warned that people here would just, either ignore me, or chase me off (funny that). I have the utmost respect for anyone who is trying to get sober, no matter how they do it. What I don't have respect for are the people who seem to have an attitude of "my way, or the highway".

I so , so understand the Baclofen people, they are pioneers of a new way of trying to get sober....however, call me a sceptic, I just feel sick about the whole thing.

I really , really hope this is the new sobriety pill. I wish it with all my heart......Ne and all her followers are on the right track.....for all of our sakes. I think that, in my opinion, there are so many aspects to addiction, an example is mine, totally sober for the first 40 yrs of my life, lost a very dear husband with a brain tumour, met with a very destructive personality since. Not all addictions are so clear.

I really hope I am not on everyone's "ignore" button. But there you go....not everyone wants to know what i have to say. Ne, you told me to keep pming you , but there has been no response from you in a long time.

Missy xx

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Ne/Neva Eva;1159662 wrote: Hell to the yeah. :H

Slipperishness, I'm not exactly the (stereo)typical rap listener, but I LOVE it. What I can't stand is the whole ho thing.
      So.... You're not into this stuff then? ;-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zb4kroQPgxo[/video]]‪LMFAO & Chris Rock - Smack Her Wit A Dick‬‏ - YouTube

(Sorry, I was out at the bar on Friday night and the DJ put this on- been chuckling ever since!)

Comment

Progress thread for ne

LittleLessBoozin';1160251 wrote: So.... You're not into this stuff then? ;-)

(Sorry, I was out at the bar on Friday night and the DJ put this on- been chuckling ever since!)
        :H:H
        Oy. Chris Rock and I parted ways after his last HBO performance. He is maaaaad at women. Before that I was an honest to goodness groupie, and might even have gotten a tattoo or something.

Don't Fight It is on the ipod. Thanks so much for that!

Slipperish, :H I wonder how you'll top that?

Comment

Progress thread for ne

missyabby1;1160152 wrote:

I really hope I am not on everyone's "ignore" button. But there you go....not everyone wants to know what i have to say. Ne, you told me to keep pming you , but there has been no response from you in a long time.

Missy xx
          I will send you a pm.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Ne/Neva Eva;1160375 wrote: Slipperish, :H I wonder how you'll top that?
            Ask and ye shall receive:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hMtZfW2z9dw[/video]]‪BED INTRUDER SONG!!! (now on iTunes)‬‏ - YouTube

BOOM!

Made from this interview that actually was on the news:
            http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EzNhaLUT520&feature=related[/video]]‪Antoine Dodson warns a PERP on LIVE TV! (Original)‬‏ - YouTube
            Knowledge of what is possible is the beginning of happiness.
            George Santayana

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Almost on page 3 Reg. oy.

I haven't watched 'em yet, Pete, but I will today. (I need more than 24 hours or less than 6-7 hours of sleep!) They look really fun! Thanks.

I went to a club last night. Yep. Me. In a sequined mini-dress in a real-live-club where there are rap stars (apparently?) and stuff. It's a long-ish story about how I ended up there, suffice it to say I'm just going with the flow. Here's what I think is relevant to MWOers:

I was very anxious. I'm a 41yo, unhip white woman and I look it. (both 41 and white. I think I looked pretty hip, though. :H)
              And I don't drink any more. hmmmm. No liquid courage. wtf???
              I didn't drink. I had a sip of my husband's vodka/tonic and it was terrible. I thought it was the vodka, then my friend pointed out that I think Tonic tastes like turpentine!
              I had a sip of her vodka/soda and it was yummy. I realized I could drink if I wanted to, and there was a part of me that wanted to. It would be really fun to catch a buzz and hang out. It's also very likely I will never have that opportunity again, you know? They're trying to get Timbaland to stop by for goodness sakes. It's a completely foreign adventure and I wanted some.

Without booze, though, I was quickly tired. The party doesn't begin until well after my bed time, and my friends were gearing up as I was winding down. We all left at 11pm, just as the line was starting to snake down the block.
              Bummer. But not worth it, to stay and force myself not to drink. To stay and drink. None of it. It's just not my world any more. Of course, it hasn't been since I was into the club scene--Madonna was hot, (really. in clubs. in DC. Madonna!?) and XTC wasn't around. It's not my scene anymore. Oh well. :H

Tonight I'm going to a Bruce Hornsby/Bella Fleck concert. That's much more likely to be comfortable--nary a nubile young woman in skin tight black spandex to be seen is my bet. Whew. (I was AMAZED that women actually dress in real life the way they do in rap videos. The men too, but that didn't amaze me. My gay boyfriend commented that he saw more girl-parts in the few short hours we were there than he has in his lifetime! Me too! oy. They were hot, but I'm so glad I didn't have to let it all hang out when I was clubbing!)

So. No booze. A victory for Ne. And another victory for time. Feckin time, makes us all old against our will. It's the only thing I want to happen against my will.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

wow Ne/Neva Eva, just love your posts. makes me think you are living an exciting. intoxicating world w!

Comment

Progress thread for ne

LOL! Thanks so much for the compliment and the thought beagle. It doesn't feel that exciting and it is decidedly not intoxicating! :H

But I think I'll try on your eyes today and figure out all the ways it IS exciting and ... hmm. Well, exciting is enough. Thank goodness!

(Love your posts too, though it's been a while since I've caught up with where you are!)

Comment

Progress thread for ne

i actually didn't mean intoxicating - prob bad choice of word on this forum!
                    i just mean ..... well, you sound like you're having a blast anyways & yes, i'm 42, white definately unhip woman who lives in the middle of Bumfuck Nowhere ( Zenstyle's description of where i live, when she googled it!!!) & i don't think i've set foot in a club in about 15 years....gulp!
                    what's scary to me is the phrase "middle forties" which will apply to me fairly shortly. ugh.:H

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Your evening sounds cool, especially the parts about all the bits on display! Such a pity it was rap though, I think if Timberlake was coming to the same club as me I'd have made an early exit as well! Jesus, he might have tried to sing!

Well done on the booze front. From a purely personal point of view, I don't think I'd even go if I knew I wasn't drinking. There's a reason people get pissed in clubs - they are terrible places sober! Probably a fairly shallow POV, in that there probably are people who enjoy that sort of thing sober, I'm just not one of them.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

I LOVE MY NEW LIFE!
                        :H:H:H
                        For all that (in some ways) I liked my life before I was woefully asocial at nights and on the weekends. Ed and I stayed home and drank. Every night. Every weekend day. I knew that I was missing out, but I insisted that I didn't like loud music. Or crowds. Or anything really, that didn't allow feeding the beast.

beagle;1163091 wrote: i actually didn't mean intoxicating - prob bad choice of word on this forum!
                        We went to a concert last night. It was fun. More than that, though, it was thoroughly intoxicating to be in the moment at an event with a lot of other people.

I spent the day mired in doubt, full of self-loathing and paranoia. Living in that bad place. ugh. Then I got a reprieve. I caught myself (and that's an accurate description) living in the moment, enjoying the scene, unconcerned for seconds at a time with the fact that I don't know how to dance, or wasn't wearing the right thing. Or, most importantly, that everyone could tell that something was wrong with me.

The scene was this: It's warm here, and muggy following a massive thunderstorm yesterday evening. The amphitheater looks out over the city and is surrounded by water with a marina full of boats docked just behind it. It's within walking distance of where we live and we've never been there before. Halfway through the show he wants a beer, we get one (a tall boy?) and walk down to the edge of the pier. I was feeling a little uncomfortable about that. I had a sip, a guzzle really. Coors Light has never tasted so good. (I know, it doesn't taste good, but it was delicious. The best beer ever.) We went back to our seats and some time later I wanted another sip. He'd drank it all.
                        You can imagine how that would've made me feel 7 months ago. We laughed. That was it. Neither one of us thought to get another! I didn't even realize that until this morning. It just wasn't a thing
                        This new life is a miracle.

bleep;1163191 wrote: There's a reason people get pissed in clubs - they are terrible places sober! Probably a fairly shallow POV, in that there probably are people who enjoy that sort of thing sober, I'm just not one of them.
                        Ha. I know. Me neither. Apparently at clubs these days, though, the bar is not the money maker. I'm not sure what is. Maybe the cover charge?

Turns out that the guy we spoke to--a friend who is a part owner, is full of beans. They've got people booked to come, but nobody that could fill an arena. Thank God. i like my sleepy-ish little city neighborhood and this club is only about 5 blocks away!

beagle;1163091 wrote:
                        i just mean ..... well, you sound like you're having a blast anyways & yes, i'm 42, white definately unhip woman who lives in the middle of Bumfuck Nowhere ( Zenstyle's description of where i live, when she googled it!!!)
                        Zen makes me laugh. I know about where you live, and it's incredibly exotic. As is the whole animal-doctoring thing you have going on. Amazing.

BTW, the performance we saw last night was Bruce Hornsby with Bela Fleck, rocked. If you can call bluegrass and the blues rocking. (I can.) But they're OLD, beagle. Gives me hope for what the next twenty can bring!

Hang in there, folks. Fight the beast. It is SO WORTH IT!!!
                        :H and :h

Comment

Progress thread for ne

So so good that you got to see Bela, Ne. I've been a fan for decades . . . I could bore you spitless about all the times I've seen him performing and with whom. The most recent was last summer when he came to Oklahoma to perform with two other virtuosos in their respective musical domains - Zakir Hussain on tabla and Edgar Meyer on a 13th century upright bass. I (sober with baclofen) got a last minute message from a friend and got to go to the airport to pick up Zakir and deliver him 2 hours away to the place of their performance. Check that off my bucket list!!

I was sitting down, stone cold sober, through the entire performance. Yet I lost my balance hearing sounds and combinations of sounds that may never have been made before.

I'm still lost in Thailand. Computer stuff has gone completely wonky, but here is this moment with connection . . . and you went to see Bela! Check out his DVD about taking the banjo back to Africa. Or his earlier stuff with "New Grass Revival." Oh, yes . . . music keeps me alive.

Sounds as if you and Ed are doing well. I'll be back "on board" soon, I hope. xoxoxo
                          "Wherever you are is the entry point." --Kabir

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Miss you SO MUCH, RedT.

OMG! Bela was transcendent! Seriously. I love the banjo, but I'm now a Bela groupie!

As to the sounds!? I kept asking Ed, "What is that? What instrument is that?" We couldn't figure it out. Harmonica and washboard and dulcimer and organ and sax, and two instruments we couldn't identify, and grand piano, and the usual. But those guys are clearly masters. It was AMAZING.

Of course someone here knew about it. No shock for Ne there. Hurry home, will you?
                            or don't. Hurry about anything.
                            Much love, RedT

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Ne/Neva Eva;1163298 wrote: We went to a concert last night. It was fun. More than that, though, it was thoroughly intoxicating to be in the moment at an event with a lot of other people. This made me grin and remember why I like your updates so much. Not that I'd forgotten, but you know.

RedThread12;1163357 wrote:
                              I'm still lost in Thailand.
                              Blimey RedT, can't you just ask someone for directions?

The unexamined life is not worth living

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Hallllllooooooooo peeps!

Oy, vey. It looks like the mutha of storms is heading our way.

Serious moments of irrational panic filled my time this morning, exacerbated by the horrible visions we all saw after Katrina. Happily, I've moved on and am now just in the process of piling furniture as high up as possible. I'll take pix of the upholstered and wooden teeter-totters I'm creating if it looks as though you might get a giggle from it.

I keep having flashbacks to the last terrible storm that visited us, a year before I started bac. Our emergency plan revolved around making sure we had enough alcohol to spend a couple of days holed up. By late evening it looked as though the flood waters were going to breach our first floor apartment. We opted to hitch a ride on a rowboat manned by our fire department--they came to rescue a very scared, very pregnant woman from across the street...
                                We were drunk. A reporter was there when we disembarked from the boat, Ed carrying our dog. The pictures made the newspapers and were the talk of friends and family for quite a while afterwards. Someone even framed one of them and gave it to me as a gift. It shames me, even now. I had to be helped into the boat. I couldn't take care of myself back then, much less the ones I love and was pledged to care for!
                                This time, I'm eager-beaver-polly-prepared! And facing a week or more without power (though with back up!) and no internet connection. Which will be the hardest post-indifference trial I've faced. :H (except it's really not funny. I'm serious. ugh and aargh.)
                                At 6am I was at the store picking up dog's prescriptions (!), our prescriptions (bac) and batteries (who forgets batteries???) I only just realized that I forgot to get the booze! Ah, well. Nice to know there are some things a preparedness queen can live without when faced with an emergency. It is virtually impossible to remember that drinking to oblivion used to be the single most important thing in my life. That fills me with great contentedness, and frankly, helps me feel pretty damn invincible. If I can conquer that beast, I can handle a lot of ... Well, a lot.
                                On to make sure that I'm not blindingly bored for the next week or so! (I wonder if I remember how to play card games that involve more than one player and aren't on a computer?)
                                Hope I'm over stating the case and all will be just as it is today come Sunday. Cross your fingers (and prayers, please, if that's your thing) for us.
                                xxoo
                                Ne

I am sorely missing bruunhilde, ignominious, and taw. Anyone seen them around?

Comment

Working...
                                X