Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress thread for ne

Sticky;1583348 wrote: Hey K

Sleep eludes me. I'm now remembering a Shakespearian quotation, "Sleep, the innocent sleep...."
    Is there an easy way to find my old thread? I don't really want to go back through the last 20 pages or whatever.

N
    Yes. Sorry I missed this before. I'm attempting to stay away from the computer! When you decide to look, hit the search button up there ^^^ on the right-ish side of the blue bar. Go to advanced, put in your name, click on the button that says "thread", then go down and click again on the button that says "thread" (vs. post) and hit enter.

Or something like that! Make sure you click on the thread options, though. Because otherwise you'll end up with ALL your posts. I recently had occasion to read them, including your first one, and it made me very nostalgic. I'm really glad to hear from you, Sticky. I am also really sorry for the circumstances.

I've just been completely busted by my husband! I am supposed to be packing up for a day trip to go shopping in a nearby city. (You can imagine how enthusiastic he is about that. Not at all.) And here I sit. Just like bac(k) in the day! Gotta goooooooooo!

xxoo

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Hey K

Did you delete a long response or was that my imagination? Last night (my time.) I seem to remember you thought it wasn't very good. There were lots of quotes in there. But how would I know? I've spun out on lack of sleep and am now on Mars. Or, as hubby said tonight, I come from the zoo! We have a billet from Piopio, a tiny place in the middle of farming country down south. Youngest's current school has had the annual exchange for 27 years or so. He won't be going there as next year he goes to his new school. Anyway the country boy billet seems to like us city dwellers so far. We took him to our local Indian restaurant where we have a contra. As the boys would say, "All goodz bro!" Lots of fun was had by all. This morning youngest (Alex) was stressing as he didn't want a billet. Of course it's much worse for the poor billet. Poor billet loves Minecraft (PC game). Thought he was very spoilt on "dairy day". Dairies in NZ are like little corner stores where kids can get lollies/pies/ice creams/whatever. Us adults go there for milk, bread, whatever we've run out of that week b4 supermarket shop. Sticky, get off here girl and go and read NE's GAD thread!!

:h

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Well I just lost about 3 hours of my life to reading comment sections on articles. And I plan on bringing you down with me, Ne!

Alcohol, Drug Addiction and Recovery News | Resources – The Fix

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Morning (for me) peeps.

Sticky, I did post a response and then realized that it was all wrong. Call it a symptom of where I am in life that it is excruciating to write. Then obsessing about it, and whether or not I've written in a way that won't be misinterpreted, makes it impossible. (Please see the posts where it seems as though I suggested you keep increasing the doses. That's not what my intention was, and I didn't think that is what you would hear. Which is moot now, but still disturbs me.)

I'm really so sorry about how difficult things are for you right now. I know how it is to struggle with the disease and have the allegations and insinuations related to the stigma. That's painful. I won't call your SIL any names, but it sounds like your husband was spot on. Too bad it very rarely helps to just say it out loud to someone's face. There's so much you've got going on, and that you're thinking about...I really, really hope you're taking care of yourself.

Unless you want to explain more than you already have, I'm going to have to google the last post, about going to the "billet from Piopio" and "the annual exchange" and "dairy day". Is that last a special day when the kids get to go to the store and pick something out? Is the annual exchange like a time-share? What the hell's a billet from Piopio? Did Piopio give it to you? Isn't that like an army cot or barracks or something? A hut? I'll google!

Oh, wait. I re-read it for the umpteenth time and I think I get it. You have an exchange student from a tiny town who misses his games, but got lots of yummy treats at the store. Right?! yay, me. Wow, add to all the things another kid! Wow, Sticky. Tons of things on your plate.

Stuck, I've lost too many hours on that site. Some of it is sponsored by rehabs. So annoying! And some is just hogwash! But there's some good stuff in there, too. Definitely food for thought, and sometimes even gems. Maia Szalavitz has some articles there. I :h her. I don't know if I've ever read the comments. Commenters are...hmmm. Possibly funny, though.

I discovered Reddit. omg. Wish I hadn't.

Cheers, peeps. Off to start my day!

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Ne/Neva Eva;1584157 wrote: Commenters are...hmmm.
            You got that one right.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Hi Ne

Just lost a huge post to you. What is it with this website and hubby's PC? Please, please don't feel bad about suggesting i try for indifference. I'm pleased I was right about the long post you took down, but not pleased that you spent all that time doing it only to feel bad about it. You must have my personality, despite reaching indifference
              Maybe we need a long distance phone call some time? Like you & Susie'smum.

My challenge for my night out tomorrow (Sat) is that SIL is going to be there. It's a dance party. SIL will procure the table up the back for 20 people. So we will need to procure one at the other side of the room for our 12-15 people.

Will post this and add to it so it doesn't get lost.

Sticky :l

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Hi Ne

Just lost another big post. Must NEVER post on Hubby's PC again. Need to go now but might talk later.

Sticky :l

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Sticky;1585256 wrote: Hi Ne

Just lost a huge post to you. What is it with this website and hubby's PC?...
                  The website times you out after a short while. I don't know the computer-voodoo-magic that makes it happen, but it can tell what computer you're on. Before you hit post (or enter or whatever) make sure you "copy" the entire post, then you can just paste it and hit enter if it doesn't work the first time. (Does that make sense?)

Don't worry about the time it takes me to write. I type faster than the speed of thought, unfortunately. It's very useful for writing papers for school, but not so great for putting out well-thought posts on MWO.

Reggie;1585276 wrote: Love you NE your smartness never ends for me you are so cool is my view me dear ..you are amazing ..and are so incredibidablly intelligent and beautiful..and just amazing... I adore you
                  these boards are so blessed to have you
                  Love you forever Ne soo much me dear
                  (I had to delete the emotis you used, Reg, so I could use some of my own! ha!)
                  aw. :l and :h bacatcha. You can tell I'm beautiful from the way I write? You're right, I'm sure. :H

Reggie;1585280 wrote:
                  And stuck
                  You too are the best
                  But I have no idea why
                  Lurve you buddy
                  I lurv him too. Not the way the skanky ho's do, though.
                  (I'm starting my day with a good dose of Eminem. I think I'm channeling Slim Shady. Ruh-roh. Better tone it down before lunch with my grandma. She'd be really shocked to meet that guy.) (The re-infatuation with Slim is WindyCity's fault. Shout out.)

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Dear L,

I can't for the life of me figure out how to respond in a reasonable way to your text message. Perhaps you were somehow joking and I am missing it? If not, then we need a much better understanding of things.

The people who can make demands of me are related to me by blood or marriage, or are paying me. My friends can impose on me from time to time, of course. But demand an answer to an unclear and ridiculous question having to do with the safety of drug interactions? Never going to happen.

Furthermore, what you think is rational and reasonable is very different from what I think is rational and reasonable. We've reached that conclusion many times, and I don't see any way around it.

Finally, I wouldn't have reached out to you via email if I wasn't overly concerned that the situation was very dangerous. It is. Call a doctor.

Peace.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

I brought this over here from a different thread, because it's not really related to the original thread and I didn't want to derail...

redhead77;1597083 wrote: I'm glad you added that last part in an edit, Ne. Did the research paper you posted study people who abuse alcohol? Alcoholics are very likely to be vitamin deficient. The standard where I work of anyone who is admitted to the hospital, who states that they are abusing alcohol, is to place them on the CIWA protocol. Along with it to start them on a multiple vitamin, B1, and folic acid. Those are just the vitamins that we know could be deficient. This is done by Western medicine doctors, who likely believe that supplements only make normal peoples' urine more expensive! It's a good idea to supplement with vitamins even when you're abusing alcohol, but from a reliable source. Do your research to figure out what's reliable. *Certainly supplementing with iron when not necessary has been implicated in increased death from certain diseases.*

There's also the issue of just getting your vitamins from food when you abuse alcohol. Many alcoholics don't eat enough, but there may also be damage to the gut lining, as well as to the pancreas that produces digestive enzymes. Add with it that the process of detoxing alcohol use more vitamins that is usually required by the body not trying to detox.

Many of the people who are reading these threads are still abusing alcohol, and their cells are continually trying to detox.

As far as Joan Larson, and that being "snake oil" and all the other stuff I've read you write about supplements over the last couple months, that again is hard to measure. You'd have to travel to Minnesota, and then follow patients over a period of time, and then figure out if they were adhering to both the supps AND the diet.

Vitamin D deficiency is very common, indeed. My 11 year old son was deficient (ADHD), and I was just over the line of deficiency. Certainly not an ideal number. Many physicians are starting to check a 25(OH)D level on their patients who suffer from depression. The number is often low.

Alky, sorry for the hijack! Ne, I'm glad you keep posting for all the people who need you! I know you have your opinions, but I certainly have mine.

EDIT: Not that you hear them much.
                      Ne/Neva Eva;1597189 wrote:

Did you watch the video, Red? Did you read the website? That's all I'm sayin'. Wait. There's more. I wasn't calling out Joan Larson, so much as Otter posting bull shit. And that website, and Joan Larson by association because she is featured front and center on it, is complete and utter unscientific nonsense.

I don't offer my own opinion, or comment on people's thoughts about supplements in general, because it is like a religion. The research paper stands without needing an opinion. Larson's lack of credibility is also readily apparent. Whether people read it, or do the simple research to see if she's legitimate, is up to them. Same with kudzu and that other potion available and present on the holistic threads...

In my experience with one detox, 3 rehabs and several trips to the ER, I never got any supplementation. Which is shocking for all the reasons stated here. When I finally did get some regular and what should be routine blood work done related to my general (alcoholic) health, I was found lacking in all kinds of ways. But the ones I was commenting specifically on (D, cholesterol and anemia) were not related to my alcoholism and have not cleared up since I stopped drinking alcoholically.

And now back to the regularly scheduled programming...

Comment

Progress thread for ne

On supplements:

The Vitamin Myth: Why We Think We Need Supplements - Paul Offit - The Atlantic
                        On October 10, 2011, researchers from the University of Minnesota found that women who took supplemental multivitamins died at rates higher than those who didn't. Two days later, researchers from the Cleveland Clinic found that men who took vitamin E had an increased risk of prostate cancer. "It's been a tough week for vitamins," said Carrie Gann of ABC News.

These findings weren't new. Seven previous studies had already shown that vitamins increased the risk of cancer and heart disease and shortened lives. Still, in 2012, more than half of all Americans took some form of vitamin supplements. What few people realize, however, is that their fascination with vitamins can be traced back to one man. A man who was so spectacularly right that he won two Nobel Prizes and so spectacularly wrong that he was arguably the world's greatest quack.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

I'm way too tired tonight to get into this much, and I need to be up at 5 for a 12 hour shift. I scanned the article you attached. Thank you for supplying everyone with this. It cites a lot of good research. Most of the research is related to specific vitamins, which I already knew were not ones I'd be willing to take. I do take others, which I absolutely know to be helpful to me.

My specific question, and the article answered it, was whether any of this research pertained to people who abuse alcohol. The article clearly hasn't researched these people. If you do some research on the nutritional needs of alcoholics (it won't take much), you will likely find that it's suggested that alcoholics could use vitamin supplementation. Some of the reasons I've already mentioned. People who have recently stopped abusing alcohol, and certainly ones who are continuing to do so, are possibly not getting everything they need from food. Since the majority of folks who are reading these threads are likely to not be in your state of advancing recovery, I just wanted to mention it.

I can't possibly imagine that my hospital is the only one who recognizes that B vitamins, and particularly thiamine, assist in recovering from withdrawal. Or that many who come in are deficient. Certain vitamins (B1) may protect the brain, and others may protect against even cirrhosis. We usually use evidence based practice, and our alcohol withdrawal set is an order set and protocol. I'm sure you'll run into something similar down the road. You will remember the term banana bag!

That's all. Sorry for the soapbox. It's something I feel passionate about.
                          This Princess Saved Herself

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Vitamin Water Revive is the poor man's banana bag. B1 and potassium. And yummy purple flavor!

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Update:

From Jan 2013 to July 2013 I went down from 140 mg to 70 mg. I started going back up again in Sept and am now taking 120 mg.

During the same period of time, my motivation to do well in school plummeted. My grades have suffered as a consequence. I have also missed a lot of classes, making up excuses in order to avoid going to school. I've also avoided just about every social situation I could.

I am subtly uncomfortable outside of my own space and with anything new. I guess I always have been, though I was a very social child. My anxiety (for lack of a better word to describe what I experience) has transmogrified into just not caring about things. It looks and sounds a lot like depression, but I'm not sad or hopeless. I just don't want to care too much, so I don't.

The reason for the update, though, is this: In the last 4 months I have spent an incredible amount of money. It will take us months, maybe even a year, to recover. Maybe even longer. I can sort of see that it is based on the need for everything to be "just right" in order for me to be comfortable. I think it's also an impulsive reaction to this discomfort.

We definitely drink more since we went down. It's still not an issue, for me, but it concerns me a lot when my husband drinks because he has definitely gotten drunk a couple of times in the last six months. I have had something with alcohol in it five nights out of the last seven. I think this concerns him, even though I don't drink much in one sitting. I suppose it concerns me, too. Or rather, it concerns me that it feels good to have a glass of wine and yesterday I was definitely looking forward to it. It also concerns me because I don't really remember what it was like to be addicted to the stuff and I'm not wary enough.

Obviously, I'm going to go back up a little bit more. Not just because of the booze, but because it may help with the impulsiveness and the malaise, too. We'll see. I'm not convinced that baclofen works forever in the way that it works initially. I've read too much about the waning efficacy of other psych meds to be complacent about it. Does it work for booze? Yes. Other stuff? I'm not so sure, even though it definitely did for me, for a long while.

This is already too long so I'll sign off.

Hope it's a good day for all you MWOers.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Hiya, MWO peeps.

I noticed over the holiday that I got a bunch of emails and PM attempts shortly after Bill announced that Evan passed away. I'm really sorry I didn't return them at the time, though in retrospect that's probably a good thing.

I'm rather pissed off about the whole thing, to be perfectly honest. I've been waiting for that anger to light a fire under me and motivate me to do something with it, but it hasn't happened yet. It's just too fucking heart breaking to lose Evan, particularly in such a cliched and mundane manner.

I'm very glad that you are celebrating his life, and am touched by the thoughts left on the thread about it. I really hope there's some sort of afterlife, and that he's visiting from on high. I sincerely hope he doesn't stop in around here anytime soon. We didn't need anymore martyrs, Ev.

(Edited out the rant...You're welcome.)

I'm fine. Sober. No pills. Winding down from a very hectic December and gearing up for a very demanding semester. I love some of you very much. I like some of you, too. Hope you guys are doing well. I'll be back in touch eventually.

Cheers.

Comment

Working...
                                X