Progress thread for ne

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Progress thread for ne

Hi Is, Nev. You're right that at the higher doses keeping an even amount in your system should be enough.

Actually what I think Ne was saying is that even Dr Levin isn't entirely consistent with his dose schedule. In the same breath he told me to spread the dose out as evenly as possible and then to take it at 8 hour intervals. I was at that time spreading it out and taking 4 doses a day at 6 hour intervals.

The point he did make is to spread it out evenly which is slightly different to previous methods. For me it didn't make any sense saving a larger dose for when my drinking time was coming up because I was like a space cadet 24 hours anyway.

Nev I love the drama, keep it up. Great reading and addictive like a soap opera. Hope that this one will eventually reach a conclusion.
    Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 3.125mg/Kg

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Cool beans, glad to hear you are ok.

What's Dr Levin's story, does anyone know? Has he done this himself, or is he a convert based on OA's experience?
      Having hit the switch, I now post under the username "bleep". Look forward to seeing you on the other side...

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Hey Ne!

oh NO! lotion on your jeans!!! Maybe you have a special attachment to your jeans. More even than to your dog? Freud would know, Ne, Freud would surely know the answer

So dr. L doesn't stick to his home-written protocols, but advices his client based on the information they provide him. Excellent way of medical practice.

Ne, I myself experienced the worse SE's at 250 mg/d. No matter what schedule (and I tried almost everything). Stayed there a few weeks because titrating up seemed not the wisest thing to do.

At 400mg/d i had less SE's than at 250m/d. Now I quickly titrated down to 250mg/d. And I feel pretty normal again. Nothing like the first time on 250 mg/d. When I accidently took a double dose of 200, I felt a really,really unpleasant muscle-pain in my neck. Everybody is different and Dr L understands that very well I see.

Serious: DO NOT DRIVE on this dosage. I don't know if you still do, but please don't. When something happens and you kill someone, then you were not involved in an accident but in a murder IMHO. Plus: there won't be booze enough in jail to drink the regrets away Well, considering you've considered this already, I think I just wanted that off my chest and is this cry not for you.

Well, it happened. I don't envy you and I wished you wouldn't have to suffer this nasty shit.

Very glad you are back. Missed you.

Low

Comment

Progress thread for ne

how ya doing NE??
          "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Progress thread for ne

i love a good soap opera and will come back evryday....i will beat u 4 drama....u havent met my family...drama on way
            "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Progress thread for ne

A few random thoughts from someone who is considering starting BAC:

It sounds like that some folks on high-dose BAC are impaired cognitively and probably in reflexive times. It is difficult in most areas of the country to work and not drive, but I wonder how many BAC-users are driving "drunk".

Baclofen is not part of routine drug screens, but can be measured in targeted tests. BAC users probably shouldn't state their medication history during a traffic stop.

Aside from Dr. OA's anecdotal case, there is no guideline on what doses/schedule of BAC to use for alcoholism. Everyone is basically on his/her own. I find this very disquieting for a drug with significant side-effects at high doses.

Sometimes shit really hits the fan. An alcohol-induced psychiatric emergency is still a medical emergency: go to the Emergency Room. Get detox, get temporary real-life psych support. Self-medication and Internet forums only do so much.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Here is an alcoholic's musical lament :

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CLQP3XHHNek[/video]]YouTube - GEORGE JONES IF DRINKING DON'T KILL ME 1981

The self-awareness, the regret, the irony....it is one of the great songs. And, of course, the singer is a notorious alcoholic himself.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Ah, Hi 37! We're not alone, we have an anonymous online community of drunks. Welcome!
                  There is actually a protocol given by the good doctor. and we have rats. But yes, your point is taken and I won't argue that. It's disquieting to say the least. We all have to manage the SEs the best we can. A lot of us might not be able to do that. I'm very sad for them, and hope I'm not one of them. My SEs and the driving hell were at low doses, which completely disappeared when I titrated up to 70mg/day.
                  If I can't drive while taking baclofen, I can't take baclofen. I am careful. Cognizant of the fact that I am taking medication. (beatle, what are we supposed to call it, again? and why?) Like Benadryl. Or an anti-depressant. Does anything not carry the label "Do Not Take And Drive a Tractor?" Again, your point is not moot, though, and not taken lightly. If you're going to attempt high-dose baclofen treatment for suppression of your alcoholism you ought to expect to have SEs. Weigh them against a lifetime of alcoholism and then make a decision.
                  It's inflammatory to compare driving while taking high-dose baclofen and driving impaired from alcohol or alcohol withdrawal. My personal experience says otherwise, and I've done a good deal of both. For all that we joke about being 'stoned' or 'bac-d', I don't know that it has more affect on driving than cold medication, and they don't study rats for that... And I've yet to hear of anyone being homicidal, or jailed because they had a panic attack. In fact, that particular brand of anxiety is largely a matter of personal punishment. imho.
                  All due respect to Low's comment, around these parts we drive everywhere. Nary a pedestrian, bicycle or taxi to be found in much of the US. It's like breathing.

I have been composing a reply to the witty banter in here all day. Somewhat derailed by the real life repercussions of yesterday's meltdown I still can't resist responding in kind.

WTF, people? I could've been dyyyyyiiiiinng. Where's the sympathy? Little did I know it was the worst hang over ever experienced by a middle-aged-alcoholic-hangover-professional. Now I understand why pony quit drinking! Speaking of which, am I the only one who saw his response in general to the woman who was struggling with SO problems? "It's over. Move on." That's the best two sentence story I've read in ages. Even though it smarts given present circumstances.
                  Yes, Low, I do have jeans I love almost as much as my beloved dog. They're irreplaceable so I only wear them on special occasions. Thank goodness! That really would have ruined my day.
                  And yes, I was pissed that night. In both the drunken sense and the angry sense. Any post that begins "It's 2am" should really be deleted, or at the very least disregarded. But whatever. From what I can tell, it was 240mg of bac, a bottle of wine and several beers into the night. One hour of sleep. Woke with a burning need to write something, I suppose. Seeming lucidity and complete black out are a SE of drinking while taking bac, for me. A cautionary tale. (I am going to edit it, at some point. And all of the others, too. ha)

It would be a good soap if the angelic sister ends up in the coma, and the crazy-long-lost-twin got to show up and spend all of her sister's hard earned money, while sleeping with the hot husband and the pool boy. But that's not the scenario I've established. So cheers to a good old fashioned happy ending. Sober and wondering what the hell to do with myself is a nice start. Not that I watch that drivel, anyway. But I am watching MWO rather carefully.
                  Finally, it wasn't lotion. It was cream
                  . :H
                  Love you people. Thank you.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

Aside from OA's anecdotal csse there is mine and Rusty's and Tips and Loop and Hangin and........and. Self medication and internet forums have done more for me than I could have dreamt.

Taw, looking forward to the drama, let me know what time to turn on! What are the alcoholic drama queens going to do when sober? Start an actors troupe? Maybe call the drama kings like 37 if you can stomach the never ending cynicism.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

And Ne

Stop posting, its well past your bedtime now.

GO

Comment

Progress thread for ne

37degrees;1035245 wrote: emergency is still a medical emergency: go to the Emergency Room. Get detox, get temporary real-life psych support. Self-medication and Internet forums only do so much.
                        An emergency is an emergency.
                        I've been to detox, outpatient and inpatient rehab/rest centers, temporary and long term therapy. Behavioral and couldn't tell you what else...Not EMDR, that sounds cool. (nurses, phds and mds have done their best) I've been to the emergency room twice this year, had a crazy amount of blood work and an eeg, an ekg and an MRI.
                        That's all very embarrassing, because there is nothing wrong with me that abstinence from alcohol and a reduction of anxiety wouldn't "fix."
                        I have been diagnosed with depression and adhd. Though the attention deficit part is clear enough (read this thread) the diagnosis was bull shit. And this was not for lack of trying to find something, anything, really wrong that wasn't related to alcoholism. I also have a meaningful life, I like to think. All of that is rather humiliating to write. We have to be particularly fucked up to be a member here? Or particularly sane? Really smart? Completely delusional? Suffered enough humiliation, or not quite enough?
                        I'm uniquely qualified to be a member of an anonymous online community, I guess. Except that we come from all over literally and figuratively. And I like it here.
                        Have you read OAs book yet?
                        (Glad you posted the link, haven't looked at it yet.)

Comment

Progress thread for ne

ignominous;1035268 wrote: Aside from OA's anecdotal csse there is mine and Rusty's and Tips and Loop and Hangin and........and. Self medication and internet forums have done more for me than I could have dreamt.

Taw, looking forward to the drama, let me know what time to turn on! What are the alcoholic drama queens going to do when sober? Start an actors troupe? Maybe call the drama kings like 37 if you can stomach the never ending cynicism.
                          Great, "Guidelines for high-dose Baclofen" . Yeah, self-medication and internet forums have turned some into a real troopers, Ace.

I really love the line about BAC working for everyone, unless they can't tolerate the side-effects. That's like saying that high-dose radiation will kill all brain tumors, unless too much of the surrounding brain gets zapped.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

I don't know who to be more annoyed with at the moment. Any suggestions???
                            But I think I've got the last post.
                            Good night, friends.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

That's the first time I've been called "Ace". So you get brushed with some originality. Keeping up the drama theme is quite ingenious, we're in some macho B-movie now I suppose.

Just to reiterate, though I'm sure, to someone with your philosophical bent you'll be inclined to disagree, there are many anecdotal guidelines to be found in this forum. Maybe its the English language you have trouble with.

I can't say I've followed your posts with any great commitment. The line about God and your incisive reasoning as to why he didn't exist convinced me that I wouldn't be able to keep up.

Looking at the negatives is worthwhile but occasionally looking at the positives may help to balance your perceptions. That this is basically a place for people who are prepared to try to find a way out.

Whilst, correctly, you may be disquieted by the newness of high dose Baclofen treatment you are not the first.

Comment

Progress thread for ne

I'd make a good pool boy, no?
                                :nutso: I take pride in my humility :nutso:
                                :what?:
                                sigpic
                                Graph of My Drinking From July '09 to January '10

Consolidated Baclofen Information Thread

Baclofen for Alcoholism and Other Addictions
                                A Forum
                                Trolls need not apply

Comment

Working...
                                X