Delirium and hallucinations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

mmm -- could be I said I was bipolar. Interesting about the euphoric symptoms and depression. I haven't had either on bac. Mostly the manic, actually -- and that's not euphoric.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

I'm going down from 400mg baclofen / day (16 tablets @ 25mg) 1 pill a day. I have to take 4mg of the long acting benzodiazepine Klonopin during those 16 days because without it I would be a complete mess (very intense anxiety, some paranoia, muscle cramps, high blood pressure and pulse rate, sweating). Of course I could titrate down slower, but even -12,5mg daily felt pretty bad and I don't want to use nearly 3 months with -5mg / day.

I don't know if I will later up my dose again to 5-6mg/kg and hope that I "switch". If I decide to do so I would do it fast because I tolerate that well and I won't stay on high doses for longer periods of time. I could also use baclofen just as needed when craving comes up which worked quite good in the past.

It seems at least a minority of people including me are very sensitive when it comes to baclofen W/D symptoms.

Comment

coalfire;1048984 wrote:

I just thought it was interesting because people on the forum have described euphoric symptoms as well as some sort of crushing but thankfully transitory depression on Baclofen.
        Describes me to a tee, although I'm not bipolar. I found myself laughing away to myself for no apparent reason. Was fantastic, felt like the king of the world. Then had 1 horrific night, felt like king of the shitheap. Not even king, lowest of the low. Worst night of my life. I'm normally able to disassociate myself from drug-induced high's and lows due to lots of practice, not here, not at all.

IWTBS, if you tolerate large increases, why not give it a push? Somewhere up there is a number with your name on it, and it's been shown to be not harmful.

Comment

bleep;1049444 wrote: IWTBS, if you tolerate large increases, why not give it a push? Somewhere up there is a number with your name on it, and it's been shown to be not harmful.
          IWTBS sound like irritable bowel syndrome or something like that ^^ ... call me "Sober". My Pdoc 'just' prescribes me 400mg daily (~ 4mg/kg) so to see if I can hit the switch at 500-600mg I have to cut down or stop for some time and save baclofen. I'll likely give it a last shot in around a month with pretty fast increases, staying @6mg/kg for maybe 2 weeks and then slowly taper down to a lower dose.

Comment

Sober, good luck man.

I would stash even more, you don't want to have to abandon the chase at the finish. Can't you talk to he/she? She can clearly see you are handling 400.

Comment

yes I did. Made a stupid mistake a month ago,swallowing 80-90mg at once and felt like I was on the 3rd plateau DXM trip.A lot closed eyes visuals and a few open eyed stuff.Very dreamy a complex visuals-like spaceships,distorted animals,bizarre archichtecture always changing and kalidedscope effects.Lasted 6 hours.It was not scary and felt mid euphoria.I would NOT reccomend anyone to do this.I can be dangerous.I am now taking 10mg 3x day under supervision.And plan on staying low.I do not want withwarwal hallucinations-a completley different experirience from my mistake,though I had not experience with bac withwrwals-I assume its like Alcohol withwrawal which I had.Two completley different hallucinations.Do not try this at home nor try to suddenly withraw!

Comment

Yes I had these effects.About a month ago I swallowed 80-90 mg all at once during a craving.Very stupid mistake indeed!Within one hour I felt like I was on a 3rd plataeu DXM trip. Insane closed eyes suff-seeing space,spacecrafts,bizzare animals,everchanging artichecture and kalidescope effects.lasted 6 or so hours.But did not get paranoid/scared.Did get euphoria tho.DO NOT TRY THIS AT HOME!IT can be dangerous and lead to overdose! I am now on 10 mg TID under strict supervision.As for withdrawals I have not experienced bac withwrawals but had Alcohol withrawals which was horrible.I can assume bac withwarwals are similar.Do no OD or try to stop cold turkey-both can be life threatening! Take care ,guys!

Comment

So glad that you got some help and a schedule! That will make a big difference in your ability to succeed with this. Overdosing on anything is not a good rule of thumb. Glad to hear that it sounds like you're doing much better!

Comment

Bump for NE
                    "What lies behind us and what lies before us are small matters compared to what lies within us." Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Hallucinations from high-dose Baclofen withdrawal

Dear Otter,

I recently went through sudden Baclofen withdrawal and suffered severe (auditory) hallucinations, paranoia and anxiety.

Case history: Male, 31 years old. Alcoholic for 4 years. Medicated with Baclofen for approx. 8 months, titrated up to 150mg/day (3x50mg).

Had the Amiesen "switch" occurred? Perhaps. I have lost most of the urge/crave to drink. I have slipped up though, like most alcoholics, but in those cases even when I have ended up binging these have a) been very short lived b) I have not really enjoyed the drinking and c) it has been reasonably easy to stop.

In the incident I am about to discuss I was detoxing from a reasonably heavy binge (approx. 20 drinks per day which had lasted for just over a week). Again in this case I simply stopped drinking. I was experiencing gastric problems which led to severe vomiting and the inability to keep even fluids down and it was this that prompted me to go to emergency, nothing else. This also was AFTER stopping drinking and not the REASON for stopping.

I had recently started to reduce my Baclofen intake and was probably down to 50mg/day (if I took it at all). Once in hospital however, I suddenly wasn't taking any. My withdrawal from alcohol could be considered minor. On the AWS (Alcohol Withdrawal Scale, which is how they gauge alcohol withdrawal in Australia) I was constantly scoring very low values: only minor tremors, BP not overly high, normal temperature and not excessively clammy.

I have detoxed from alcohol many times: with benzos in hospital; with benzos at home and dry detox at home and I would similarly describe my withdrawal symptoms in this case as minor.

* However it turns out I was suffering severe auditory hallucinations *

I denied having hallucinations when questioned about them for the AWS because to my mind they were completely real. I was also suffering severe insomnia which could have affected my mental state.

As far as I was concerned though, the nursing staff were all against me and I became totally paranoid (certainly under threat and in danger as you described). It was only after I was facing down my mum, my doctor and a nurse simultaneously that they finally convinced me that reality was not what I was perceiving. They dramatically increased my diazepam (to 30mg/day + PRN) (because I was scoring very low on the AWS, I had been taking very little).

Symptoms subsided very quickly after being properly medicated with diazepam (gone within 4 days, consistent with other people's experiences).

In conclusion, I had never had such an experience withdrawing from alcohol before. In hindsight, after coming across another website discussing Baclofen/GABA-B withdrawal and then this post, I think my experiences were from the Baclofen withdrawal and not the alcohol withdrawal.

I hope other people find this information useful.

Regards,
                      meson

Otter;1037967 wrote: Hi all,

I would greatly appreciate any information from anyone who has gone through delirium or experienced hallucinations either at high dosage of Baclofen or upon withdrawal from Baclofen, either rapidly or otherwise. In particular, I would appreciate any reports of anyone suffering from thoughts that they were under threat or in danger.

Comment

Working...
                      X