Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Sweet success! (with baclofen)

Hi Emily,

I'm glad to see you here, I sincerely hope Bac works for you. There's plenty of support and advice here.

Good wishes and prayers sent your way!

Cheers!

Comment

Thank you guys

Your good wishes are very, very much appreciated, well he was so lovely, totally non-judgemental, what a lovely man. Got my Bac and totally Kronkcarr - when he was writing out the prescription I could have cried with relief and my heart was still pounding on the train going home. Took half a tablet on the train as advised and feel really calm now.

I would also love to get to the point where I'm indifferent to alcohol and could possibly have a glass of wine without one glass becoming two bottles!! I feel this is my last chance as I've burned my bridges with all the mind-set work (I've tried everything from hypno to fire-walking to Alan Carr's Easy Way out) but I have a really good feeling that I found all this info on Monday for a reason.
      Honour Thyself

Comment

emily;1466067 wrote: when he was writing out the prescription I could have cried with relief and my heart was still pounding on the train going home. Took half a tablet on the train as advised and feel really calm now.
        Way to go, girl!

I also shed a tear or two when I finally got the prescription and I realized that I finally had a good chance of getting better.

Keep posting.
        Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

emily;1465912 wrote: I have an appointment today with Dr Johnathon Chick, from Dr A's book which I just finished reading last night. I last drank, heavily, on Sunday and usually tonight, because I'm feeling better would be the start of drinking until Sunday again. I feel as if I'm going to the gallows, I feel so nervous that he won't prescribe bac, I'm sure he will, I'm just anxious. I'm going private and have never spoken to anyone professional about this before (apart from one visit to a alcohol counsellor).

For some reason at the end of my tether, again, on Monday I came onto MWO and found all the info about baclofen. I'd never heard of it before. I didn't want to order online and then someone had written that Dr Chick was in Edinburgh, very close to where I live.

I feel a bit teary as noone knows I'm going and feel so nervous but hopefully today is the day my life changes for the better, xx
          :goodjob: You are going to be amazed at how baclofen will help. It's not the magic pill that does it for you but it sure was a blessing to me!!! :l I now have the power to say NO to alcohol!
          Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
          https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

just thought I'd post to say I'm on day 3 of Bac and so far great. Dr Chick advised half a tablet 3 x for the first 3 days (each tablet 10mg) so very low amounts. From tomorrow over the next 7 days I've to increase to 3 tablets per day.

Yesterday I had a really busy day and what I did notice was how calm I felt, excited even!! I was asked (by Dr Chick) if I had anxiety and said I didn't think so but now I think I was maybe so used to underlying uneasiness, that white noise, all day everyday that I wasn't conscious of it. For the last 2 nights I've had great nights sleep.

Tonight, Friday night is usually license to drink loads night for me and I found myself buying 2 of the small (1 glass) bottles of wine. I slightly increased my Bac (by only an extra half tablet) and had the glass of wine with dinner. Normally, I would not be able to stop after one glass but amazingly, 1 was enough and I've since had a cup of tea.

I realise this is early days and I'm on a very low dose but this is great.

Only side effects are a bit spaced out and a bit of a twitch in my left eye but great
            Honour Thyself

Comment

Dear Emily,

I had an eye twitch too at low doses. It soon went away. Over a period of 4 months I have built up to 140mg. I have been extremely lucky in that apart from the eye twitch I have had no side effects.

Apart from a few wobbles I know I have definately hit the "switch" now. Like you I thought it would be nice to have an occasional glass of wine. But to be honest since I have started on 140mg it would be a real struggle to drink one glass now!

It's great that Dr Chick is on board to help you. Good luck and I am really pleased for you that things are going so well, so soon.

Best wishes

Caro

Comment

Caro!!!!! that's so great!!!

i feel like i'm so behind on all threads, so maybe you've told it before, but still: YEEEEY!!!

Comment

caro;1467357 wrote: Dear Emily,

I had an eye twitch too at low doses.
                  You know, I had an eye twitch after I stopped baclofen. I don't have it anymore, but I'm not completely without baclofen anymore: I take 10 mg before sleeping.
                  Today is the first day of the rest of my life.

Comment

Reggie;1467757 wrote: O ' dear every one ..lets just take a deep breath and stop arguing ..wether it works or not ..just .let it be a option ..for fucks sake it worked for me ..it may work for you !
                    Works for me too. At last there is hope for poele like me who just can't say NO to alcohol with out help! Baclofen is that help that I needed!
                    Sober since Sept. 24th 2012 This time 4 SURE!
                    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/newbies-nest-3162-30074.html Newbies Nest
                    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f11/tool-box-27556.html Tool Box
                    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f19/what-plan-how-do-i-get-one-68554.html How to get a sobriety plan

Comment

Well, it's time for me to post my success too. Thank you to all of you on here who've gone before me and supported me.

I'm one of the lucky ones it seems. I was drinking a bottle of wine a night (alone--sigh...) and at gatherings I was drinking as much as I could (and drinking before going to the party). I was often home late and, yes, I drove when I shouldn't have.

My goal was to moderate my drinking and once I started on bac I didn't bring alcohol into my home. Early on I twice had 3 glasses of champagne and came home, had atrial fib, napped and had horrible daymares. It was worse than I can convey in words. So when I drink now (about every 2 weeks or so) I have 1 or 2 glasses of wine and it's more about the ritual with friends. I can take it or not.

Some of the best side effects for me are: I'm not over drinking, my anxiety's gone, I'm better able to discern and it's easier for me to tell people what I want and don't want. My worst side effects were increased anxiety initially (especially driving), that awful dull headache and insomnia.

A month ago I was at 80 mgs and white knuckled it through a Friday night. I didn't drink. Around this time I started on liquid bac and thought I was titrating up but I was measuring wrong (Thanks LoOp for the clarification.). I flipped my switch at 80 mgs. I weigh 130 pounds. I count my blessings that I am a LDB person. I'm also grateful to Dr Ameisen, to a guy who pointed out my drinking, to my first dr and to Dr L if my script arrives.

Wow! It's a beautiful night--it's warm, the stars are shining and I'm sober. Sober since 12/12/12. Yay!

kronkcarr

Comment

You ROCK! Love the date you started your new life.

:rockband:

GG

Comment

kronkcarr;1480279 wrote: Sober since 12/12/12. Yay!
                          The world as you knew it came to an end! Woohoooo!

Comment

Ne and GG,
                            Thanks for your posts. I feel like I'm part of a cool group (with not so cool beginning circumstances). I appreciate your support. And my day got better when I got Dr L's script in the mail today!

kronkcarr

Comment

Yes. Success! Started titrating up on 2/11/2013. Hit indifference on 3/23/2013. Waited a few weeks to make sure, but I am certain now. I had early success from the compulsion to over drink, but indifference is just that. And hard to explain. But the freedom is amazing. I am currently at 120mg a day. Will stay at this dose for a few months and see how it goes. I still have some ringing in my ears and a bit of dizziness. Who cares. There were a few times going up where the SEs were pretty debilitating, but just kept on going. I also might have hit indifference around 90mg, but it took getting in a car wreck (not bac side-effect related) for me to realize I was in fact completely indifferent and drinking only out of habit. This stuff is a miracle. Really and truly. I have never in all my years of AA and white knuckle sober time ever have felt this freedom. Whew. What a freakin' relief!! Thanks to all of you on this board who keep posting.

Comment

dundrinkn,

How nice to see your post here. Yippee!! Isn't it a wonderful feeling? Here's to a job well done.

Comment

Working...
                                X