Sweet success! (with baclofen)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Great to hear dundrinkin! The SE's will fade away in a while as well. The freedom is... intoxicating.

Comment

Congrats DD!

Agree with Bleep, SE's will fade!

Cheers!

Comment

Bump

Comment

Great Thread

This is such a great thread. A whole lot of information can be in just this one place. Glad to see it make its way bac.

Comment

For someone new to the forum like me, it's nice to have such a wealth of information to read through. I can't wait to start my baclofen regimen again. Within one week I felt free from almost any narcotic you could think of (never made it to heroin, thank god). I'm looking forward to getting back on track and eliminating the habits that have ruined my life countless times over the last 13 years.

Comment

:bump:

I hope this works...I wanted to share my story, in hopes that others will step up and share theirs for the newbies. There are some seasoned baclofenists still posting, but it seems as if Lo0ps passing has kept some hiding. I love hearing from the 2009 and up club!

I am 54 years young. I came out of the womb anxious. I remember screaming all the way to preschool because I couldn't bear to be left there. I'd throw up on the way to an overnight camp. I was a mess from day one. I do remember good times, but mostly remember the bad.

My great aunt bought me champagne for my 13th birthday. I had a sip and it was like a light turned on for the first time. I had sipped Coors from my Dad's can on occasion and thought it was ok. When I was 16 I had spiked punch at a friends party and that clued me in as to my answer to all my problems. I could drink and not be anxious! I used this occasionally until my boyfriend went away to college and joined a Fraternity. Then it was every weekend- drink, barf and pass out. My BFF and I would snort coke, drink a bottle of wine and go out on the town for more. I wonder how I survived. She joined AA and got sober but I kept going.

When I was in my early 30s I was married and drinking wine every night. Except for my two pregnancies I was slowly titrating up from 1/2 a bottle to 1-2 a night. Things got scary when my teenage twins started calling me a drunk. I used to take them out to look at Xmas lights when they were young, driving drunk. The horror...my husband started telling me to stop. He was my drinking buddy but now I was surpassing him. I was embarrassing the neighbors.

Last summer I found the website sober recovery. Lo0p used to call it sober relapsery :H:H
              On the sight was a post about a med called baclofen. The person mocked it, but I did a google search anyway and found MWO. There I found Spirit, Isolde, Redthread, Mandie and Lo0p. I ordered the Pacifen and started my way up. I kept drinking, and my drunken misery kept me alcoholic. I did notice my anxiety went way down, which AD's never had a handle on. All the while I kept reading, and finally pm'd someone named Lo0p. I found a friend who knew me while never having met me. I have a son with Aspergers and pegged him as a fellow Aspie. He coached me until he passed away. I switched at 80mg after a rough bout of the stomach flu. I walked through the wine aisle of our local supermarket to the meat dept. Usually I'd stop and get at least two bottles to get me through the night but no, I wanted a Tri tip and I couldn't be bothered with a good red to go with it. I was floored. This went on for 3 weeks. Testing it out was futile. I had 3 glasses which tasted like a colonoscopy prep and made me so anxious the next day I felt,like I'd killed my sister. I'd only had three glasses!! A mere drop in the bucket on a normal day. Since then I've had 2 glasses of wine but don't wake up thinking, scheming or dreaming of wine. I may go down in dosage to help with the insomnia but for now I will read past posts to gain perspective. I've been lucky to have titrated up using liquid Bac, but will gladly use the pills to continue the task at hand.
              SEs,have been daytime sleepiness, paradoxical insomnia, and decrease in sex drive. I can handle all 3 just fine.
              My real test will be an Arizona spring training trip with my sons baseball team. If I slip up I know it will be ok, and I can drink a beer at a SF Giants game and stop at one. That's the beauty of baclofen. Like yoga, I found baclofen on the internet, and with that search I found you.:h

Sam

Comment

That's so great, Sam. Thanks for sharing your story.

Comment

Lovely, honest story, Sam. why don't you cut and paste it into a new thread in the "tell us your story" section. Everyone could benefit from another encouraging positive outcome.

xoxo
                  "If you do not change direction, you may end up where you are heading."
                  Lao-Tzu

Comment

I figured it might be time to revive this old thread, so I've taken some recent posts out of their original threads to continue this thread. If anyone minds, I'll be happy to delete the posts. You can follow the permalink to the original thread.
                    https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ml#post1672699

help4me;1672699 wrote: Hi All, I have been on HD baclofen for almost 3.5 years now. Like some of you I am proof that this drug IS a cure for drinking problems. I don't believe alcoholism is a disease. It is truly a chemical imbalance in the brain and Baclofen fixes/cures that imbalance. Yes, it does take commitment and persistence and determination. There are so many negative side effects you must be ready and willing to to get through before that rainbow comes. But it does come. It is real.

I cannot remember now what it was like over a year ago when I got so excited to have a night alone (like every other night) so I could get shitfaced drunk and go online and make an ass out of myself and Lose the respect of my family, etc. ugh.

I still take between 200-225 daily but am going to start going down by 25 each week until I feel comfortable knowing cravings still wont come back.

For those that have also found success: How low a dose have you been able to remain successful at?

Thank you for listening. I'd love to reach out to others. Feel free to say hi

Comment

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ml#post1672903

help4me;1672903 wrote: Hi Cassandra and Bleep!

This is the cure. For all who are struggling, please continue to find your supply of Baclofen and take it. Belly through all the side effects and titrate up to your switch (you will know when it happens). Stay at your switch dose for at least a solid month or more. Titrate down very slowly.

You will be amazed at how you will be able to look at your vice (mine was wine) and look at a glass of water and feel completely indifferent. Most of the time you will choose the water because you are just thirsty. Your brain becomes balanced and you are cured. No more impulse behavior. It works people!!!!

Please contact me if you are struggling. I would love to help you.

Comment

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...ml#post1672987

bounce;1672987 wrote: I've lost track of how long I've been taking Bac. About 3 years . I went up well over 300mg, I think I went well past my switch,
                        Im happy to say im down to 40mg a day,
                        I also go to the pub every so often, 2 or 3 pints all night, I never drink at home now, don't see the point.

Comment

Hi Ne -what a great thread. For those that can not take Baclofen because of side effects, etc., what are their alternatives? It truly is a miracle that it worked for us and we had what it takes to stay with it until we finally felt indifferent. Is there hope outside the world of Baclofen for those that can not stay with baclofen?

Your input is both needed and helpful.

Comment

Thanks Ne... The newbies need to read these.

Sam:l

Comment

Ne,

Thanks for reposting these 2 posts. I wasn't aware of either poster and was happy to read their experiences twice.

spirit, I'm hopeful that those who have success with a different drug or a different way will post on a thread other than a baclofen success thread and you can read it there.

Comment

[QUOTE=kronkcarr;1673057]Ne,

Thanks for reposting these 2 posts. I wasn't aware of either poster and was happy to read their experiences twice.

spirit, I'm hopeful that those who have success with a different drug or a different way will post on a thread other than a baclofen success thread and you can read it there.[/QUOTE

Hi Kronk -I think it would be great news to post anywhere if another drug works as good or better to help with alcoholism. But hey, that is just my opinion. "Sweet Success" from the chains of alcoholism is a priceless gift -regardless of how one gets there, or at least that is my opinion.

Comment

Working...
                                X