Baclofen and Anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen and Anxiety

A holiday weekend (in the USA) bump for newbies and lurkers who may be thinking about trying baclofen to address their drinking habit.

Ever since Dr Ameisen reported on the anxiolytic effects of baclofen, numerous members here have reported that baclofen not only reduces and can eliminate craving for alcohol but it also greatly reduces their anxiety.

However, the relationship between alcohol abuse and dependence and baclofen titration and anxiety is not simple and straightforward. Many report episodes of anxiety and depression while titrating up and some report episodes at high doses and after indifference.

This thread discusses the issue. Everyone is welcome to participate.

Enjoy!

Cassander
    With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

Cassander;1246080 wrote: tk- reading your apology, I am moved to say that perhaps "offended" was too strong a word. A better word might have been "disappointed". In any event, thank you. Apology accepted.

I am certain both of you want the same things that I want and we all want: for there to be one or more accepted, proven and generally available medical treatments for alcoholism so that this horrible disease can be wiped out. Vendettas, in general, won't help get us there. I know you guys know that. Thanks. Cass
      Cassander, I can't help but feel that you are being a little patronizing here, and if you think that my any of my actions on this forum are motivated by a vendetta, you are greatly mistaken. -tk
      TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

I am calling it a day, guys. I don't consider it a vendetta. People have views and hold on to them strongly and sometimes clash. I am less entitled to be here than Tk and he knows this place better than I do and what is good for people who come here.
        BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

Otter;1248624 wrote: I am calling it a day, guys. I don't consider it a vendetta. People have views and hold on to them strongly and sometimes clash. I am less entitled to be here than Tk and he knows this place better than I do and what is good for people who come here.
          Otter, I am no more entitled than you to to be here . I don't believe that I know what's best for anybody, nor have I ever claimed to know what's best for the people who come here. -tk
          TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

I am new here as of yesterday. I am in the midst of withdrawing off of klonipin after 24yrs. I know that if I wasn't taking baclofen that I would not be able to do this!! I appreciate Otter sharing his original story of "what baclofen did for him" because it was thru his post that I was able to find the help that I so desperately needed!! I have been sick for so very long from the long term effects of klonipin and don't know where I would be if not for learning about this "Off Label" use of baclofen thru Otter's story!!

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

Thanks, I am happy I helped. Welcome to the forum. I am sure you will be well supported here.:welcome:
              BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

panda;1252843 wrote: I am new here as of yesterday. I am in the midst of withdrawing off of klonipin after 24yrs. I know that if I wasn't taking baclofen that I would not be able to do this!! I appreciate Otter sharing his original story of "what baclofen did for him" because it was thru his post that I was able to find the help that I so desperately needed!! I have been sick for so very long from the long term effects of klonipin and don't know where I would be if not for learning about this "Off Label" use of baclofen thru Otter's story!!
                Hello Panda, welcome to MWO. I read about your story in the "Just Starting Out?" section and I'm very interested to hear about your plan to overcome your addiction.

-tk

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

panda;1252843 wrote: I am new here as of yesterday. I am in the midst of withdrawing off of klonipin after 24yrs. I know that if I wasn't taking baclofen that I would not be able to do this!! I appreciate Otter sharing his original story of "what baclofen did for him" because it was thru his post that I was able to find the help that I so desperately needed!! I have been sick for so very long from the long term effects of klonipin and don't know where I would be if not for learning about this "Off Label" use of baclofen thru Otter's story!!
                  Hello Panda, welcome to MWO. I read your story in the "Just Starting Out?" section........interesting.

-tk

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

I have decided to come off Baclofen. It was stopping me from getting on with things. I cut down yesterday then had nothing at night. Went through some heavy convulsions. Had a dose of Amino acids and some Calcium/magnesium. Had a bit of an attack of convulsions this morning. Feel great at the moment. I wonder what lies ahead.

I have also decided not to post about Vitamin D. This was a place a year and more ago where people were posting some crazy stuff but it has moved on. The point about Vitamin D is that I had what I thought was some sort of AHA moment where I had an insight into the cause of alcoholism. I have also been having similar moments about other things and sending off emails to people which I think will solve all sorts of problems. Then I realized that I was becoming grandiose and had to stop the Baclofen so I have gone through what I can only describe as a "cold turkey" experiment. It was pretty horrendous but it did not kill me. I just need to get my wits about me again and not do stupid things that are just getting me into trouble. Sorry if it upset anyone. I was not suggesting that Vitamin D is the treatment for alcholism. Baclofen is the treatment. What I was pondering was what the cause of anxiety is. You can go back a step further and say that drinking alcohol causes vitamin D deficiency so that anxiety is not the cause of alcoholism, alcohol is!! For those who have stroke or head injury or PTSD for instance they may say that they are not alcoholics at all because they are drinking to medicate the mental pain.
                    BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

Olivier Ameisen

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

Otter;1253240 wrote: I have decided to come off Baclofen. It was stopping me from getting on with things. I cut down yesterday then had nothing at night. Went through some heavy convulsions. Had a dose of Amino acids and some Calcium/magnesium. Had a bit of an attack of convulsions this morning. Feel great at the moment. I wonder what lies ahead.
                      ??? Otter, it's your business what you do, but I'd just advise anyone else reading this thread NOT to suddenly cut out baclofen after regular use...precisely due to risks such as this (i.e. serious withdrawal symptoms). Anyone who has had "some heavy convulsions" due to suddenly stopping any drug is doing things dangerously by the sound of it.

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

Hi, Panda! Welcome aboard. I'm glad you have some help/guidance with your plan.

From what I've heard, coming off of long term benzo use can be quite difficult. So far we've had someone released from the bondage of marijuana addiction and heroin addiction. I can't see why it wouldn't work for benzos. I'm glad you're going to chronicle it here as it might be helpful for others who come behind. Please keep posting!

Otter, be well. I know you know this, but for others: ABRUPTLY STOPPING baclofen is a REALLY TROUBLING IDEA. Not to be recommended.

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

Panda - great stuff, and congratulations for embarking on the journey. Is an MD counseling you through it? What kind of taper schedule are you on?

I tapered off Ativan last fall after being on it for about four years (not quite 24), and not long after starting on Bac. I found things a bit rough, and can't parse the effect of titrating up on the Bac vs. getting off the benzo. There may have been a couple of weeks of transitional depression. I did have an MD psychopharmacologist coaching me through it ...

Find things get better every time I jettison another one of the drugs I was taking pre-bac. Under shrink's coaching, now getting off Seroquel ...

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

I had a short course of valium for a few months and when I tried to come off I had severe withdrawal symptoms. Once I got through the anxiety period I tapered off. I don't remember how long it took but it left me with a very unpleasant drugged feeling and lots of anxiety but it was what I was going through that caused the anxiety. I am much calmer on Baclofen but I don't like the drugged feeling, a sort of dull feeling in the frontal lobes and my memory is crap. When I lower the dose I feel edgy so I am going to try to be sensible about it. I like feeling edgy when things are going well but they can turn around very quickly and things are not so good. How long does it take to come off bac and do the beneficial effects remain?

I have taken some Bac today. About half my normal dose.
                            BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

Olivier Ameisen

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

Otter, this may sound stupid/ineffective, but you might try GABA and magnesium/calcium to help your sides. Like a ton of GABA and then a bath in epsom salts so you absorb max magnesium without GI upset.

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

Thanks for the support!!!!

suneelca;1253391 wrote: Panda - great stuff, and congratulations for embarking on the journey. Is an MD counseling you through it? What kind of taper schedule are you on?

I tapered off Ativan last fall after being on it for about four years (not quite 24), and not long after starting on Bac. I found things a bit rough, and can't parse the effect of titrating up on the Bac vs. getting off the benzo. There may have been a couple of weeks of transitional depression. I did have an MD psychopharmacologist coaching me through it ...

Find things get better every time I jettison another one of the drugs I was taking pre-bac. Under shrink's coaching, now getting off Seroquel ...
                                Suneelca......yes I have an md with me thru this. but no matter how much or how little support you have when going thru benzo w/d's...as you probably know...I still feel quite alone thru the really bad stuff!! One thing i found out is that your family is not always the best support system...cause they just seem to want me to get better ASAP ...and I can't let that influence me...cause benzo w/d's have a mind of their own and you can't rush it ...so just trying' my best to get thru each day and sometimes even just the next hour!! Right now I feel pretty lousy and just want it all to go away! Hoping that the Bac will continue to help make this "long and winding road" a little easier to travel!

BTW...congrats on getting off ativan:goodjob:...and may the rest of your journey go well!

Oh...also...I'm from the US and so i may not always fully understand some of the UK lingo...and ya'll may not always fully understand my way of talking. Thank u for ur support...take Care...Panda

Comment

Working...
                                X