Baclofen and Anxiety

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Baclofen and Anxiety

Just in case anyone has or sees any news items about Baclofen, I am collating them on Baclofen UK and will endeavour to circulate them so that anyone who is a member has an update. Some members of the forum have their own forums so it will, hopefully, be a good way of sharing important information about Baclofen and alcoholism.
    BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

Cass, I agree the quoted book is bullshit. Unless you say that 90% of MWO participants happen to be drawn here instead of AA or other methods because MWO attracts anxiety-addicted alcoholics instead of the vast majority that aren't anxious. Which entire sentence is BS because I don't for a minute believe "most" alcoholics aren't anxiety-medicating, I think most are. And I think its more complex than this because this discussion doesn't really even start to approach the physical predispositions genetically.

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

Bruunhilde;1163804 wrote: Cass, I agree the quoted book is bullshit. Unless you say that 90% of MWO participants happen to be drawn here instead of AA or other methods because MWO attracts anxiety-addicted alcoholics instead of the vast majority that aren't anxious. Which entire sentence is BS because I don't for a minute believe "most" alcoholics aren't anxiety-medicating, I think most are. And I think its more complex than this because this discussion doesn't really even start to approach the physical predispositions genetically.
        I am not sure that the preoccupation with the word "anxiety" is useful. The amygdala is the "fear" or anxiety center of the brain. It also stores our memories and seems, in my words, to act as a filter for our behaviour, taking our perceptions and feelings and turning them into resonses. Most people here or who drink, may not say that they are doing so because they are anxious. I know I drank to relax...so, I must have been anxious?! Other people drink to make themselves happy...because, maybe, they aren't? Others drink to feel comfortable in social situations. Anxious? Some people drink just to forget...what? Things that make them feel...anxious? It is the part of the brain that needs to be researched, not a word. We got hung up on this last year with the debate about whether Baclofen is a "cure" or a treatment. It doesn't matter why you start drinking or what you call it. If Baclofen works as a supplement of a missing chemical in the brain, for whatever reason it is missing, then that is what is important...surely.
        BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

Split hairs if you like. Does it matter the subtlities of definition?

Since drinking is a coping mechanism for not handling stressors in a more productive way, we could call it stressor/lack of coping skills. I prefer anxiety but I'm willing to listen.

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

I am not trying to split hairs. What makes us drink is our biology and circumstances and I think we miss the point of the biological aspect to this by focusing on words like anxiety. That's all.
            BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

Olivier Ameisen

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

hi all,
              I still go to AA and I hear all the time that people drank for relief. they drank just to be able to breathe. that to me is indicative of anxiety. I drank for that and to feel comfortable around people. when I drank I could take a deep breath and hang out with you guys and feel completely comfortable in my skin. I finally fit in. that to me is indicative of anxiety. without drinking I have to learn to feel comfortable around people. sometimes I do, sometimes...not so much.
              ne, when I first got sober I was going to conquer the world. I woke up with a smile every day and couldn't wait to get going. got a lot of STUFF done. and 4 years on I find that my life is pretty cleaned up but the big decisions of life are stll unanswered. I seem to be the same guy that never learned how to make decisions. I am the same person I was but I just don't drink.
              you my friend have come a long way and made some big decisions and are out there trying. as is everyone on MWO. maybe we need to give ourselves a big fucking break? at least by not drinking we are giving ourselves a chance
              sorry to be preachy but I'm tired of being so hard on myself so I give myself and everyone else on here a giant hug. grat.
              p.s. someone was reading at a meeting the "promises" I think it is where it says " someday science may one day accomplish this (a cure) but it hasn't done so yet" and all the fundamentalists of the group started laughing. I wanted to fucking throw my book at them and walk out. whatever. these people are just ignorant. same ones that thought schizophrenia was the devil taking possession I suppose. oh well, I just keep focused on my sobriety and the people in there that speak to me.:l:l

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

That's fine Otter. I don't miss the biological connection at all, I just think we all arrive at the anxiety or whatever in a variety of ways, which may be genetic or not or all of the above.

Grat, I think you always have valuable input. One of the reasons I felt relief with drink was that it took a burden off of me, the burden of my own high standards that are so hard to live up to. A friend once told me, "you're very hard on me" on the phone. After hanging up, I thought to myself, "but not as hard as I am on me." We need to lay off ourselves and realize that others aren't as hard on us as we are, and we don't need to be as hard on us or others. BIG HUG back to you!

Sounds like the fundamentalists think AA is God's tool to bring wayward souls home. Don't they realize reacting like that is only exclusive of others (alienating), not loving and inclusive? Times like that I feel they are not walking the walk.

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

Grat and Bruun

You are both so thoughtful, articulate and evolved. You are terrific and my heart goes out to you. I understand what you do to yourselves -- how you beat yourselves up. Grat, you describe almost exactly the fears that my son has (and that I have, to some extent). I see baclofen as a tool to tame the beast, but then we are left having to find our own meaning, purpose and beliefs. Not easy. For me it boils down to learning how to live in the moment.

So, yeah, take it easy on yourselves. One day at a time. Do the best you can. You can do it.

Otter

I hear you. Brain physiology and chemistry are not easy for me to understand, but I hear you. Baclofen may be the answer in a far wider range of cases than those self-reported as "anxiety". But many, many people out there who are trapped by the beast relate to the stories about chronic anxiety (whatever it is) told by members of this forum. By collecting these reports on this one thread I don't mean to exclude in any way other ways of describing the brain issues that lead a person to drink, I just want people who find their way to MWO and who find resonance in these stories of relief from "anxiety" to know that there may well be an answer for them. A miraculous answer.

Cassander
                  With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

Cass,

Miraculous indeed. It's like a life line appeared out of nowhere when I was drowning.
                    Bruun and I (and many others) know the fear of 'anxiety' that only alcohol could push aside so we could function.

You are doing great pushing this Cass; it's real.
                    And Otter, as always your input has so much value to all of us.

LL:l
                    The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.

*Don't look where you fall, look why you slipped*

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

Gratitude,

Loved your post. Keep this topic on top!

LL
                      The hardest arithmetic to master is that which enables us to count our blessings.

*Don't look where you fall, look why you slipped*

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

Hi guys...Just giving the "anxiety compilation" thread a bump for the weekend in the hope that newbies stopping by this place will find some helpful stories in the compilation.

As always, I am interested in anyone's observations on the effectiveness (or not) of baclofen in reducing both alcohol craving and feelings of anxiety.

Cassander
                        With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

Cassander;1165926 wrote: Hi guys...Just giving the "anxiety compilation" thread a bump for the weekend in the hope that newbies stopping by this place will find some helpful stories in the compilation.

Cassander
                          As always, I am especially interested in hearing observations on the effectiveness (or not) of baclofen in reducing not only alcohol craving but also feelings of anxiety.

Thanks!

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

I am trying to reduce my dose. I find that I am very anxious in the mornings. I put this down to having gone off Baclofen overnight. It is the Baclofen equivalent of a hangover. It takes a long time during the day to feel ok again. I am taking propranolol 20 mg morning and night which is helping. I am hoping to come off Baclofen but when I stop taking it for any time, I suffer from huge anxiety to the point I feel I am going to flip out. It obviously works.

I think the absence of anxiety that Baclofen brings is hugely beneficial. Success breeds success, and confidence breeds more confidence.
                            BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

Olivier Ameisen

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

gratitude;1155384 wrote: cass,
                              thanks for the "spark" recommendation. I'll check it out.
                              Grat -- have you had a chance to look at Spark, yet? If not you can find some good reviews at Amazon.

Comment

Baclofen and Anxiety

cass,
                                how goes it? just ordered "spark" on amazon. I had just enough left on a gift card,yes!
                                I was also going to order one of Dr.L's books on psych and neurology but it was 30$! must be a textbook. thanks for reminding me of spark.
                                what is going on in Cass's world of researching anxiety and BAC? grat.

Comment

Working...
                                X