Let's Shout it from the Rooftops

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I was inspired by reading of Godwhacker's just found indifference this week -- as I have been by all of the stories that precede his.

I just want to say that I find some (most, in fact) of the thinking and writing about alcohol, alcoholism, anxiety, baclofen and recovery which is put up on this board to be the most thoughtful and lucid and convincing writing on the subject that I have seen anywhere. To this reader, there is no question that alcoholics who are responsive to baclofen and not confounded by side effects find incredible and indisputable relief.

I have read what AA has to say in the Big Book and elsewhere and I have read alot of what is put out by Hazelden and Betty Ford and Caron and other treatment centers. I have read what is available on the website of the National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism. I have scoured the internet.

I come away convinced that nobody really gets it like you guys do and that much of the alcohol treatment establishment is living in an unreal, alternate universe. I read the Big Book and I can't help but feel like AA would treat cancer with the Bible. (And, like OA, I have nothing but admiration for the support AA provides to alcoholics).

It may be an overstatement, but its kind of like watching the Scopes trial in the present day. At the time nobody was quite sure whether the scientists or the believers would win out. In hindsight there can be no question.

Having said all that, its a bit saddening when some on the board take detours into unhelpful intramural arguments, like when one poster complains that naltrexone doesn't get enough attention or when there is a somewhat silly (I think) debate over whether this forum is for blogs or for information.

Friends: please don't sweat these small matters. You are amazing and you are on to something way bigger than the small stuff.

You are in the process of validating one of the most important discoveries in medical history. Right up there with penicillin and insulin and prednisone. Way bigger in its potential to save lives than Valium or Prozac.

Dr. Olivier Ameisen has made an incredible discovery. The medical establishment, the pharmaceutical companies, the governments and the rehab community are all stupidly standing by in some kind of catatonic paralysis and you guys are filling in. In this respect, thank god for the Internet. This kind of community and the kind of evidence you are developing couldn't have happened even 15 years ago.

For many patients suffering from alcoholism, baclofen is -essentially- a total cure. It leaves the patient indifferent to alcohol. It leaves patients who were gripped in the throes of a terrible, debilitating, often life-destructive, if not fatal, disease: essentially cured. It gives the alcoholic who is responsive to high dose baclofen and can tolerate it his life back. It has already recovered, if not actually saved, hundreds, if not thousands of lives. I am standing on the outside looking in. I can see this.

It is a miracle.

I agree with the constructive posts of, I think, Otter, and many others. Let's get the word out. Let's help our families and our friends and colleagues struggling with alcohol and alcoholism find this cure. Let's call up and write letters to and email our health agencies and politicians. Let's demand that the pharmaceutical companies and government health agencies do everything they can to follow up on Dr Ameisen's incredible discovery.

In 2005 the cost of alcohol dependence and abuse was estimated to cost the USA economy approximately 220 billion dollars per year, more than cancer and obesity. In the United Kingdom, the number of 'dependent drinkers' was calculated as over 2.8 million in 2001. The World Health Organization estimates that about 140 million people throughout the world suffer from alcohol dependence. Hundreds, probably thousands, of people die every day from one or another of the consequences of alcohol abuse and alcoholism.

Let's not stop until there isn't a single person in the world who could find relief with baclofen who doesn't know of its availability and who can't find a doctor to work with. Let's do everything we can to make sure that alcoholics can easily find treatment by physicians who are aware of all of the weapons that can be brought to bear in treating this terrible disease. Let's do whatever it takes to end the stigma of alcoholism as some kind of moral failing.

Let's shout it from the rooftops.
    With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

I agree with what you have said (well, pretty much all; I haven't read it with my microscope yet when I could probably find something to get contrary over!).

I am doing my bit, but with a long history of being wrong about alcohol I can find it difficult to have confidence in what I want to report. Another thing that holds me back from singing baclofen's praises is the taboo attached to being an alcoholic, I mentioned this on another thread but it is actually more relevant here. Thinking back on what I said, I realise it was not complete, the taboo goes further; not only would I be admitting to being weak willed because I was an alcoholic but irredeemably dub myself with that moniker because I had to use medications to find a way out!

One more factor that holds me back is the similarity many people exhibit on HDB to being high or zonked out (which was the phrase I read on another forum). I've felt loved up on LSD, MDMA, HTC. empowered by speed and coke, chilled by opiates and bezos and all of the above with alcohol: long term these feelings are not sustainable and have a backlash reaction. Baclofen long term effects are yet to be decided.

That sounded like I agree with you, right?! :H
    Started Baclofen 3/9/10 Hit my switch at 250mg on 21/11/10 Present maintenance dose of 50mg : started drinking after 1 year, upped dose to 80mg and stopped: Tapered to 30mg, started 6 months of drinking, upped dose to 240mg to stop 12/7/12

Comment

I'd like nothing more than to have this, or any other new treatment for alcohol dependence, become more widely known and used. The conventional treatments for this condition leave a lot to be desired when overall effectiveness is considered.

Does anyone know (approximately) how many people have so far reached indifference to alcohol by using baclofen? Any attempt to widely promote this new treatment method is going to be met with skepticism from several sources (doctors, AA, rehabs, alcoholics themselves) and the best answer to that skepticism would be treatment success stories. Obviously there are such success stories here on this forum, but how many? What about other forums where this may also be discussed, e.g. the French one?

Hopefully the Netherlands trial will also provide more success stories.

Comment

Your post, Cassander, uses the exact same words as my very first post on this website. "Shout it from the rooftops" In my case, I couldn't believe I'd had to wade through the internet to find this stuff, why wasn't it on Google's homepage, ffs? It's almost a secret. But it is spreading. I remember my first search for baclofen turned up not many hits relating to alcohol. Now 6 months down the line, that same search is showing thousands of hits, and not all of them from MWO either. There are people here that I've turned on to it, a couple of physicians are prescribing it now to their patients, and they are seeing results. It's happening, but slowly.

I hear you though. It shouldn't have to be a grassroots movement. It should be massive and irrevocable and immediate. You are speaking Otter's language here. Have you seen his website? Home - Baclofen UK He is proposing exactly the same sort of movement that you are. Speak to him.

From my side, it can only be grassroots, unfortunately. Living in Africa tends to give politicians different perspectives, and serving the common good of man doesn't appear to be one of them!

Comment

I'd like to chip in here a little bit since Naltrexone also struggles to gain recognition, look at how many here keep saying they had never heard of it's uses - and thus never even considered trying it.

It does have a reasonable success rate(Dr Sinclair claims 70%), and most people do not have any major, or long term side effects using this method/drug. Yet it's never reached the mainstream, apart from in Finland where it is licenced and used widely.

Just take a look at this article I found dating back to 2009, still there has been no widespread roll out of TSM.

Naltrexone: can a pill cure alcoholism? - Times Online

Naltrexone is still unlicensed in the UK (and US I think) for alcohol treatment, and GPs (that's personal Drs over here) are not prescribing. If they are they are doing so without proper information on it's use.

Bacc'ers it's not just baclofen that needs to be brought to the forefront here.

Comment

bleep;1152152 wrote: Your post, Cassander, uses the exact same words as my very first post on this website. "Shout it from the rooftops"
            Bleep--The quote above kind of says it all. I must have read your post some months ago when I came to this board, but...like the politicians, like the medical establishment, like the pharma companies, like the rehab community, I didn't get it. Now I do. Sooner or later everyone else will. Let's hope its sooner. Thanks.
            With profound appreciation to Dr Olivier Ameisen for his brilliant insight and courageous determination

Comment

As UKBlonde says- if it works, do it. Some people respond badly to one or the other, but it's not a competition. All I know is that Acamprosate did fuck all for me, AA made me feel worse about myself and generally confused, the stay in rehab I had was quite nice but didn't make me want to stop, but Baclofen skipped the bullshit and made me stop drinking. I can't even really *get* drunk now- I can get ill-coordinated and tired, but it doesn't change my emotional state.

I'm just confused as to how to sell it to people. I think it's fairly clear that becoming an alcoholic isn't strictly your fault, but that's how it's perceived. Here's a blog post I wrote after I'd been taking Baclofen for about two weeks:

Andrew Ryan says it best:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bncxTilQKAs[/video]]‪Bioshock Gameplay: Andrew Ryan & Atlas speech‬‏ - YouTube

There’s a game called Bioshock that, amongst the killing, binary moral choices and Art Deco stylings, explores the philosophy of Objectivism, which is a very severe branch of Existentialism.

“A man chooses- a slave obeys”

Ayn Rand (pronounced Ah-un) believed that if you allow people to make completely selfish choices, i.e. totally in the interest of themselves and no-one else, then society would be completely free. It would create a utopia, one that was free from all of the miseries of the past.

Rationality and rational choice would define our future. No altruism. No charity. Just self-interest.

We’ve seen a break in the first part though the recent financial collapse: the banks created “Structured Investment Vehicles” that were, basically, just the selling of mortgages to people who couldn’t afford them, packaging them up, and ditching them. Offload the problem onto someone else, and you’re fine. Fraud, essentially, but no-one picked it up until it was too late.

Rationality suffers from a similar problem. You can’t be fully rational unless you have all the facts. If someone is lying to you, or “massaging” the truth, then rationality becomes impossible. And if the system that you’re using is susceptible to manipulation, then someone will manipulate it in order to gain advantage. And if you don’t do that, you are officially a schmuck.

Rationality is a strange thing. Choice as we usually understand it doesn’t account for preference. “You always have a choice” is quite a common phrase. But what if things weren’t quite that simple?

Some things you choose, some things you don’t. For example, you probably didn’t give much thought to what socks you wore this morning. You had the choice of picking whichever socks came to hand, or maybe you were going out tonight so you grabbed the purple ones. Or maybe you didn’t. It was probably quite a simple decision.

However, you don’t have much choice about breathing. You could stop breathing for three minutes or so, but then an involuntary reaction would kick in and you’d have to take a breath.

So choice, then, isn’t quite what we think is. It’s not the simple yes-or-no that we’ve come to believe in.

Jean-Paul Sartre had this idea that a human remakes himself every second by his choices alone. To believe that you are determined by your current role within society, that your actions are determined by your job title, is what he called “living in bad faith”. I think he was right on this, as I’ve lived in that state for a long time. When I stopped being a drummer and stopped being a programmer, I had a truly existential crisis. Who was I? I’d ceased to be both, so what claim to humanity did I have?

Much like Ayn Rand, Sartre’s other key idea was that choice is a constant thing that you have to invoke every single day in every single decision that you make. But what if you’re not paying attention to the choices you make? What if, like me, you’re too busy having fun to actually do something rational?

The point where I became an addict was the point where I was least likely to admit it. It’s quite common for addicts to project backwards that they’ve always been an addict, but it’s not actually the case. You have to *become* an addict, you can’t be born one. It’s a metabolic condition, not a moral one. No-one wants to become an addict.

Choice is, I now believe, a combination of preference plus action. That may seem quite a bland claim but it’s not one that I’ve ever seen expressed. It’s all very well to claim that “you always have a choice”, but in many cases it simply doesn’t wash. Why do we end up pursuing romantic relationships that just won’t work? Is it down to rationality, or is it down to something else? Why do we smoke? Is it because the experience is somehow enjoyable, or is it something more complicated?

When you’re addicted, your preference gets totally screwed. Your ability to choose is compromised- not because you’re being irrational, but because you’ve got this itch in your head that you just cannot scratch. There’s this little scheming voice that demands to be heard. And the traditional way to treat it is with the action, not the preference.

The solution we’ve been told to accept is Alcoholics Anonymous. Or Gamblers Anonymous. Or indeed, offensively, Homosexuals Anonymous, or any other Anonymous that you can think of. This, is a program that we’re told will solve all our problems. There are twelve steps that will restore us to sanity. The first is that we admit that we have no power over alcohol, gambling, or homosexuality; that our lives have become unmanageable. But none of the rest of the Twelve Steps actually mention drink, or drugs, or anything. You’re told to believe that you are weak, that only a power greater than yourself can restore you to sanity. But in that step, you have to lose all your power.

There’s nothing wrong with a bit of humility, but it’s just religion by another name.

I’ve tried, again and again, to stop this dumb cycle of binging and stopping. I’ve got a sponsor for AA, I’ve tried Neuro-Linguistic Programming, I’ve tried anti-depressants, but none of it worked. I’ve even tried the Twelve Steps through to their conclusion.. But the Twelve Steps are focussed on action- they do nothing about preference. I’ve seen people go from normal to totally neurotic. And then go out on the drink. And then die.

Trouble is, they won’t stop you wanting to drink, or gamble, or be gay, or anything. It just helps with any prior misery that you may be experiencing. If that works, then great. But it doesn’t workfor everyone, and it’s wrong to insist that it does.

So.

I’ve been taking Baclofen, which for the first time in two years has been giving me a respite from the hell of addiction. It doesn’t change your ability to drink; it changes your *will* to drink. Not action, but thought.

You take these pills, and it just makes you uninterested in drink. For an addict, this is like being given the key that lets you out of the Gorilla enclosure. I still need to titrate it up to the critical level- I still get cravings after two hours of taking the pills- but so far it’s working wonders.

Anyway, I’m able to feel human again, and I feel that I can reconnect with society.

Thanks for reading, send me your thoughts.
              And hey, thanks for the credit

Comment

Hello Cassandra. Welcome to the frustrating world of Baclofen.

First they ignore you...then you win.

This is set to be big news... but when?

In the meantime people are dying in the streets, literally.

I am anxious to reach a point where people in positions of authority are being asked, "when did you know about it and what did you do?".

It just makes no sense to me at all.

Perhaps we could start with a list of people who could be written to and a standard letter. I sent one out from my site. It hasn't changed the world, yet.

Godwhacker, I loved your post.

I have been away for a long time. I am not sure how long I will be back. It has been a hellish ordeal.

I was an agnostic/atheist before all this. I now believe that we are much more than random individuals directed purely by self interest. I found myself a year ago doing things "knowing" what was going to happen. And it all did happen, in all its horror. I put my little crucified man on my site, supposedly finding the light at the end of the tunnel. He did find the light but is still stuck in that tunnel...and was crucified. It is unbelievable and it twists and contorts the mind.

I look at birds in the sky, thousands of them moving in perfect synchronization. They have no "minds", like us. They have no higher thought processes to analyze away whatever they were made with which allows them to perform the way they do. The journey Baclofen takes us on is one in which we lose our angst both physically and philosophically and find something which unifies us all. It makes us realize we are part of something bigger than the sum of us all. For a moment, in spite of the train wreck going on all around us, we find peace and we know there is a way out of this. It is only a matter of time.

Best wishes
                BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Otter;1152254 wrote:
                  In the meantime people are dying in the streets, literally.
                  Case in point: Amy Winehouse. It is all too senseless when the tools exist to save people.

Comment

bump
                    TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

I was surprised to see this old thread at the top of the queue this morning when I chanced to visit mwo. I must admit that my first thought was that some mischief maker had found it and was probably twisting it around for god knows what purpose. I was relieved to see that it was merely a 'bump' from my friend, tk, who I know has our best interests at heart.

I re-read my initial post and the reactions -- all wonderful, reminding me of a time when it was possible to be positive and idealistic on this forum. It also reminds me that nearly 5 years have passed since these posts were written and despite all the shouting on mwo -- for better or worse -- baclofen treatment for alcoholism is still little known in most places around the world, controversial to some, and not a generally accepted medical treatment. And this notwithstanding the completion of more and more positive studies and the experience, in particular, in France, where baclofen treatment is now a recognized medical therapy for alcoholism, with, so far as I know, tens of thousands of successful outcomes.

We are certainly a strange animal -- human beings -- who are able to do such harm to ourselves, often in the face of rational alternatives. Despite all of the angry words and drama which has unfolded on this board since 2011, I remain convinced: baclofen works.

There is no denying the medication comes with side effects, mostly bearable, many of which disappear over time, and that for some smaller number, indifference is elusive. It is probably also true that indifference is not a cure for being human: even if indifferent to alcohol, we will still be who we are -- anxious, happy, depressed, elated, scared, confident. In some cases, we are still still indisputably suffering and mentally ill. It is also likely true that better chemical agents can and will be found to reduce the side effects and improve results. Its just damn frustrating that it is taking so long and in the meantime lives are still being wrecked and lost.

So, in the meantime, I guess I would still say:

Let's shout it from the rooftops!
                      Last edited by Cassander; June 10, 2016, 08:38 AM.

Comment

Hi Cass and thank you for your post(s) as always. You are a true statesman.

Regarding Baclofen, it just does not appear to work for the majority in ending their AUD (alcoholism). I do believe that it can help, but when all is said and done, it quite simply id not the "magic pill" all was hoping for. What Baclofen has done for the world of addiction is to to wake people up to other real possibilities in resolving addiction, and this, in and of itself, makes Baclofen a hero.

Comment

Originally posted by freeihope View Post

Regarding Baclofen, it just does not appear to work for the majority in ending their AUD (alcoholism). I do believe that it can help, but when all is said and done, it quite simply id not the "magic pill" all was hoping for. What Baclofen has done for the world of addiction is to to wake people up to other real possibilities in resolving addiction, and this, in and of itself, makes Baclofen a hero.
                          freeihope is banned member spiritwolf333/spiritfree/befreenow/Alfree. Apparently, he just got banned again as I was reading this.

The truth is that Baclofen has been proven effacious in several studies including a double-blind random controlled trial:

High-dose baclofen for the treatment of alcohol dependence (BACLAD study): a randomized, placebo-controlled trial.
                          M?_ller CA1, Geisel O2, Pelz P2, Higl V2, Kr?_ger J2, Stickel A2, Beck A2, Wernecke KD3, Hellweg R2, Heinz A2.

Abstract

Previous randomized, placebo-controlled trials (RCTs) assessing the efficacy of the selective γ-aminobutyric acid (GABA)-B receptor agonist baclofen in the treatment of alcohol dependence have reported divergent results, possibly related to the low to medium dosages of baclofen used in these studies (30-80mg/d). Based on preclinical observations of a dose-dependent effect and positive case reports in alcohol-dependent patients, the present RCT aimed to assess the efficacy and safety of individually titrated high-dose baclofen for the treatment of alcohol dependence. Out of 93 alcohol-dependent patients initially screened, 56 were randomly assigned to a double-blind treatment with individually titrated baclofen or placebo using dosages of 30-270mg/d. The multiple primary outcome measures were (1) total abstinence and (2) cumulative abstinence duration during a 12-week high-dose phase. More patients of the baclofen group maintained total abstinence during the high-dose phase than those receiving placebo (15/22, 68.2% vs. 5/21, 23.8%, p=0.014). Cumulative abstinence duration was significantly higher in patients given baclofen compared to patients of the placebo group (mean 67.8 (SD 30) vs. 51.8 (SD 29.6) days, p=0.047). No drug-related serious adverse events were observed during the trial. Individually titrated high-dose baclofen effectively supported alcohol-dependent patients in maintaining alcohol abstinence and showed a high tolerability, even in the event of relapse. These results provide further evidence for the potential of baclofen, thereby possibly extending the current pharmacological treatment options in alcohol dependence.

Suppression of alcohol dependence using baclofen: a 2-year observational study of 100 patients.
                          de Beaurepaire R1.

Abstract
                          AIMS:

The purpose of this study was to examine the long-term effects of baclofen in a large cohort of alcohol-dependent patients compliant to baclofen treatment.
                          METHODS:

A hundred patients with alcohol dependence, resistant to usual treatments, were treated with escalating doses of baclofen (no superior limit). Alcohol consumption (in grams) and craving for alcohol were assessed before treatment and at 3, 6, 12, and 24 months. Assessments were simply based on patients' statements. The outcome measure was the consumption of alcohol, rated according to the World Health Organization criteria for risk of chronic harm.

RESULTS:

While all patients were rated "at high risk" at baseline, approximately half of them were rated "at low risk" at 3, 6, 12, and 24 months. The sum of patients who were at "low risk" and at "moderate risk" (improved patients) was 84% at 3 months, 70% at 6 months, 63% at 1 year, and 62% at 2 years. The constancy of improvement over the 2-years was remarkable. The average maximal dose of baclofen taken was 147 mg/day. Ninety-two percentage of patients reported that they experienced the craving-suppressing effect of baclofen. Significant relationships were found between the amount in grams of alcohol taken before treatment and the maximal dose of baclofen required, and between the existence of a mental disorder and a lesser effect of baclofen.

CONCLUSION:

Baclofen produces an effortless decrease or suppression of alcohol craving when it is prescribed with no superior limit of dose. Potential limitations in the effectiveness of baclofen include the coexistence of a mental disorder, the concomitant use of other psychotropic drugs, a lack of real motivation in patients to stop drinking, and the impossibility to reach the optimal dose of baclofen because of unbearable side-effects (sometimes possibly related to too sharp a protocol of dose escalation).

Abstinence and 'low-risk' consumption 1 year after the initiation of high-dose baclofen: a retrospective study among 'high-risk' drinkers.
                          Rigal L1, Alexandre-Dubroeucq C, de Beaurepaire R, Le Jeunne C, Jaury P.

Abstract
                          AIMS:

The aim of the study was to assess the proportions of 'high-risk' drinkers' abstinent or with 'low-risk' consumption levels 1 year after the initiation of high-dose baclofen.

METHODS:

This is a retrospective 'open' study; the outcome of this study was to assess the level of alcohol consumption in the 12th month of treatment.
                          RESULTS:

Of the 181 patients included, a follow-up evaluation was possible in 132 patients. The initial alcohol consumption of the 132 patients analysed averaged 182 ?? 92 g/day. After 1 year, 80% of the 132 (i.e. 58% of 181) were either abstinent (n = 78) or drinking at low-risk levels (n = 28) in their 12th month of treatment. The mean baclofen dose at 1 year was 129 ?? 71 mg/day.
                          CONCLUSION:

High-dose baclofen should be tested in randomized placebo-controlled trials among high-risk drinkers.

-tk
                          TerryK celebrates 6 years of sobriety and indifference to alcohol thanks to baclofen

Comment

freeihope is banned member spiritwolf333/spiritfree/befreenow/Alfree. Apparently, he just got banned again as I was reading this.

lol
                            BACLOFENISTA

baclofenuk.com

http://www.theendofmyaddiction.org

Olivier Ameisen

In addiction, suppression of symptoms should suppress the disease altogether since addiction is, as he observed, a "symptom-driven disease". Of all "anticraving medications used in animals, only one - baclofen - has the unique property of suppressing the motivation to consume cocaine, heroin, alcohol, nicotine and d-amphetamine"

Comment

Originally posted by freeihope View Post

Let's talk about asbestos!

Comment

Working...
                              X