antabuse..?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

antabuse..?

Just wondered what anyone's thoughts are on taking antabuse, or maybe tiny amounts (this would be a sufficient deterrent for me - I don't do vomit) just to get me on a clear run for a while? My thinking is that if I start to feel well without booze, that will be an incentive to go it alone after a while. I also want to come clean, see my GP and ge proper help. Thoughts? Also have some Bac if anyone in the UK wants it ... 99 x 25mg and 70 x 10mg Cher X

antabuse..?

Hi, Cher! I don't have any recent direct experience with antabuse. When I did use it years and years ago I was in such a self-destructive place that I wasn't ready to even try to stop drinking. THAT is not a good idea if you're taking antabuse.

It think asking for help from a medical professional is a really, really good idea. It's tough, but like most difficult things, it usually pays off. (Unless you're trying to take baclofen! That doesn't often go over so well! ) It's always wise to take antabuse, and most medications/drugs, with supervision. (Says the woman who gobbles bac without much supervision!)

I also think that antabuse has been around for so long that there are some pretty well established guidelines in terms of how much and how often to take it. Your sensitivity to medications should be noted, but I'd go with your doc's recommendation.

Antabuse can be used effectively, for sure. Adding in something to deal with craving (Campral or the supplements outlined in 7 Weeks to Sobriety/My Way Out come to mind) would be a benefit, maybe.

Hang in there and do what you need to do, Cherrabah! The beast is a killer and a soul sucker and I hate her/him for all of us.
    :l

Comment

antabuse..?

Hi cherrabah, I successfully used Antabuse in this way, under a doctor's supervision. I took 1/4 of a pill early each afternoon, as my old drinking time was always night. I found that it was enough of a deterrent for me, and I didn't risk drinking on it. The pills also went a lot further by not having to take the full dose every day. I should add that I wasn't only relying on Antabuse, as I was taking other medication to help with the cravings, which meant I wasn't as terrified of facing the nights without the alcoholic escape I was so used to. Having meaningful activities to do during drinking times can also be invaluable. The Antabuse helped me stay on this path when I had doubts, by stopping me being able to talk myself into drinking again as each night approached.

Like Ne says, Antabuse can be less of an option if someone is not strongly ready to quit drinking, since they may either stop taking it or try drinking on top of it. You don't have to be 100 percent ready to quit, and I doubt any truly alcohol dependent people are ever "100 percent" clear in their minds about quitting anyway...there is always likely to be a part of the mind still wanting to drink and still clinging to it. All I'd say is that there must be a fairly strong desire/desperation to start living without alcohol alongside the doubts and fears about giving it up. I wasn't ready until I was so tolerant that 20+ drinks only made me sick rather than giving me a buzz anymore, but hopefully others may not have to get to that stage.

Comment

antabuse..?

P.S. One of the "medications" I used to help with alcohol cravings was cannabis, which I don't recommend to anyone (too much potential for unwanted side effects for one thing), so I certainly wasn't fully clean and sober in the usual sense...but I still feel that Antabuse helped me greatly.

Comment

antabuse..?

Thanks for your feedback Greg and Ne/Neva Eva. From what I gather, it does nothing to prevent craving but removes the ambivalent negotiations as to whether to give in to it or not! On the whole I felt your views were positive, as long as I was positive in wanting to quit.

I think I've reached a sort of zero tolerance level with myself. For twenty years I've struggled negotiating with what I call 'my 4 o'clock debate' - whether to have a glass of wine or not. I've tried many ways to overcome this from campral (partially successful) to counselling (again, partially successful) to AA (partially successful) and baclofen (won't titrate up. Nervous without GP support). I wake up full of resolve, truly believing that this is The Day, and never fail to be surprised that I can change my mind so dramatically at 4pm. I think it's called alcoholism! But I'm 63, also married (lovingly) to someone in the same situation, and we could just carry on. We function well, but now what? Spend the next inevitably shortened years as alcoholic couch potatoes? Something has to give and I figure I'll lead.

The game plan is to see my doctor, tell it all and ask for help, discuss options - this is where I think antabuse might help so that the 4 o'clock debate has no voice, supplement with campral and possibly counselling, a dash of AA and anything else I, or my GP, can think of to change my life. And hopefully ours. It really is a zero tolerance approach. I could of course, carry on drinking. It would almost be easier because I can exist on a bottle of wine a day and function. But I don't want to. I want to quit so bad. To be free.

Love Cher X

Comment

antabuse..?

Zero tolerance. I love it.
            I think that's a great course of action, Cher. Congrats!
            Before throwing all of my effort into bac I was looking to create my own program based on an amalgam of all of them, since they were all partially successful. I still am, I suppose!
            I would encourage you to keep trying meds, in terms of craving, and continue taking your deterrent, no matter what. Look to Ukblonde and Photoman for experience with this.

WOOOHOOOOOO! You go girl!
            xo

Comment

antabuse..?

Hi Cher, I tried it x 2 but no good for me still drank whilst taking it ):

Comment

Working...
              X