Update from the land down under..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys/gals, sorry I haven't been on the forum much lately, but I do quickly look at some of the action here when I get a minute. Since I am not a high dose baclofen user, I really don't have a great deal of advice or experience to contribute to most threads, but I'm glad to see others doing so well.

I'm still doing ok, although one slip last Thursday night after having trouble mentally slogging my way through depressive/lonely feelings each night. Had 4.5 beers then went to bed, and didn't even feel much euphoria from it...even found myself wondering what I had ever seen in the stuff. I am not silly enough to think I can go back to it successfully however, or that I am magically no longer an alcoholic!!

I have also had periods away from all other drugs lately, such as cannabis and Xanax, although way too early to think I'm in any way "cured". The going gets a bit tough and I have been using some baclofen on some days, but not on a schedule, and not what anyone here would call "high dose". I did use it a few months ago successfully (50-75 mg/day), to stop myself abusing codeine and pseudoephedrine (Sudafed) for cheap highs. I was using these drugs as do-it-myself anti-depressants, but became worried I was also just chasing the highs. Still seeking an effective antidepressant really, after multiple failures of conventional ones (eg SSRIs, tricyclics, Effexor). Now thinking of either persisting with mirtazapine (Remeron) despite extreme initial fatigue, or else trying to get someone to trial me on a MAOI. Tried bupropion (Wellbutrin) but with some anxiety/insomnia issues. Also tried L-tryptophan and 5-HTP with maybe a few results but hard to say either way. I think a big problem with me is expecting antidepressants to make me feel good, rather than just normal!

Maybe my next steps are to take baclofen regularly for a few months and see if it does anything to help depression, as it does help my anxiety. As much as I hate to admit this, I am also thinking of becoming a regular AA member, to work the program's personal improvement parts at least. I don't think I'll ever be into the bit about God saving me, although I sort of have some faith in a power (more a science type image of a Higher Power than a religious one). Preachers/lecturers at AA still s**t me off, but I will just try to take from meetings the things that help, and forget the rest. The meetings, if nothing else, are a way of having regular sober social contact, and doing something social during my old night time drinking hours. Studying for a degree in chemistry is another idea I have, even if I never get work in the field due to age. I think I could still understand the subject, as long as I keep my brain free of both alcohol and pot...I find both substances to be extremely limiting when it comes to having to think, concentrate, and remember.

Best wishes to everyone here, and I will keep on reading posts when I can, even though I usually do it without actually logging in.

Hi Greg. I am not a HDB (or even B) user either but I am interested in the science of addiction and especially recovery so I always follow the meds threads. From your post it seems we have a couple ideas in common so I wanted to just reach out.

First off - wanted to let you know about another poster here Lavande who at one point was on Lexapro for depression. She has talked openly around the forum about coming of of it with the help of a natural alternative called Amoryn. If that is something you wanted to find out more about, I know she would be open to a forum post or PM about.

As a regular AA goer, I know what you mean about some members being very vocal about their religious beliefs. That is very off putting to me too. I have been able to look past that and find others who I relate to a lot more in terms of their view of the universe and how we humans fit into it. Here in the US anyway, those people abound but are not as "loud" LOL. I have learned a lot through AA that has helped me work towards an inner peace in my life and with the world around me (mainly the people around me LOL!). That has been valuable. And as you pointed out, having a sober network of friends is priceless as I work to stay away from my poison. AA is really filled with people just like us who are figuring out how to live well despite addiction touching out lives. At least those are the people I have found and gravitated towards in my own experience with it. I have made good friends there, even if we don't all share the same idea of "higher power."

I am 53 and just started college classes last week in addiction studies. I don't know how old you are, but you are never too old to go back to college if that is a goal of yours! My younger college days are such a haze, but I dinstinctly remember an older woman who was in one of my classes. She told me something I never forgot - "you are NEVER to old to pursue learning - that's why I'm here." Who knew that one remark from a stranger so many years ago would stick with me and be an inspiration today.

I hope you chase your dreams.

DG
    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
    Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

Greg;1169847 wrote: I am not silly enough to think I can go back to it successfully however, or that I am magically no longer an alcoholic!!
      As much as I hate to admit this, I am also thinking of becoming a regular AA member, to work the program's personal improvement parts at least. I don't think I'll ever be into the bit about God saving me, although I sort of have some faith in a power (more a science type image of a Higher Power than a religious one). Preachers/lecturers at AA still s**t me off, but I will just try to take from meetings the things that help, and forget the rest. The meetings, if nothing else, are a way of having regular sober social contact, and doing something social during my old night time drinking hours.

Best wishes to everyone here, and I will keep on reading posts when I can, even though I usually do it without actually logging in.
      Hi greg good to see you are moving on & forward in your life,I have never took any meds to help me stop drinking(but took enough of all sorts when i was)so i cant comment personally on bac but am totally in favour of it or any other med that helps stop this circle of self destruction,Re AA that exactly what i did,never did the steps but i did get a great community spirit and some sound advice while i went to meetings and of course imo being around like minded people is a must in trying to keep ourselves from slipping back into where we came from,good luck and keep us informed.:good job:

:congratulatory: Clean & Sober since 13/01/2009 :congratulatory:

Until one is committed there is always hesitant thoughts.
      I know enough to know that I don't know enough.

This signature has been typed in front of a live studio audience.

Comment

Hi greg,

Just wanted to chime in on your search for an antidepressant....i too have been on just about all of them. The most success i have had is prozac but had to be on a dose way higher than the recommended max and the SE's sucked.

So recently my doc has put me on something new called Valdoxan. It is the first melatonergic antidepressant...no idea what that means but basically it is not an SSRI, MAOI etc. It's early days for me so can't fully comment on its effectiveness and my doc does expect we will have to increase my dose after a couple of weeks, but i can say i am feeling some effects, and i have had no side effects whatsoever.

I'm in Oz too so it's definitely available here.

Glod luck,

Sammi

Comment

Thanks very much for the advice and support, which is always great on this forum. I will check out the suggestions made, both in relation to medicines/supplements and AA, and post again in future when I have some more news. Good luck to everyone here with this struggle.

Comment

Working...
          X