Antabuse?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Antabuse?

Sassy luv, that is the point: It makes you sick as a dog IF you drink, so you DON'T drink. Now, in my opinion, that's toodling great. And, look, it has worked for delija and he hasn't even taken it... shit, I want that stuff in my pocket. I wouldn't have slipped yesterday if I was going to be sick as a dog when I gave in. After 4 weeks AF I'm back at day one. Bring on the sick pills.
    Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Steve Jobs, Stanford Commencement Adress, 2005

Comment

Antabuse?

Beatle,

Before you take it, do a lot of research on the net.. I did, and yikes lots of liver problems. severe!

I still have mine in the cabinet.... I'm not taking it until I have liver function testing... Haven't been drinking - yeah.

Good luck,
      Kali

Comment

Antabuse?

Kali, really? I have done a lot of research and I thought the Antabuse was only a little problematic for the liver (much less so than the alcohol intake that it prevents). Can you steer me to information that says otherwise?
        Your time is limited, so don't waste it living someone else's life... And most important, have the courage to follow your heart and intuition. They somehow already know what you truly want to become. Everything else is secondary.

Comment

Antabuse?

I typed in antause, and lots of articles came up. I read the medical information on side effects and warnings. I just googled it, and there was plenty of articles. One talked of multiple cases of hepatitus (spelling). cardiac problems, much more....

Kali

Comment

Antabuse?

well, that's basically what I have done and went where it led me.

I guess I just want a cure-all pill so badly that maybe I've focussed on the good sides and skimmed over the negatives.

I'll do a little more research. thanks.

Comment

Antabuse?

I've been doing okay on my own, so far, but I do have an RX for antabuse, so I've been thinking of taking it only when I am facing a situation of temptation, so I can learn to cope with them without caving. I know someone who would only take antabuse on a Friday morning so she wouldn't drink on the weekend. It doesn't have to be an all or nothing proposition.

Also, you can spray perfume on your clothing and hair, rather than your skin, and hair spray does go on your hair.

Antabuse has been traditionally used in non-voluntary treatment, i.e., where people have been remanded by the courts, but for someone who is really trying to solidify their commitment to sobriety but is afraid of their impulsiveness (not everyone, by any means), it can be a big help.

One must be careful of course. One of our members was using it, and his "friends" who were not aware, slipped him a drink with alcohol in it, and he became so very ill it was terrible!
              AF as of August 5th, 2012

Comment

Antabuse?

Youngaheart, that was a good sum-up. I think it could be a good thing for a lot of people during the beginning phases of getting and staying AF, and then hopefully not need so much later on. I'm still concerned about the liver problems Kali brought up, though.

Comment

Antabuse?

I've used Antabuse...jeeze...didn't know about liver issues but feel that I should have. I didn't find that other things upset my stomach. I had heard that vinegar, vanilla, etc. might, but they didn't.

My main problem was that I started playing around with it...planning to not take it. If I just skipped it one morning I could drink that night with no reaction. So, I'd have tremendous cravings and tell myself not to take one the next day. Or, I decided that since I had antabuse on hand, that I could just binge away for a few days and go back on.

I never tried to drink if I had taken one the same day...I was convinced that I wouldn't like the reaction...so, it did work when I took it.
                  Blue Eyes

Comment

Antabuse?

wow that is news blueeyes. I was under the impression that you could not drink for at least a week after taking it. And that sounded good to me. Like, you wake up and think "I don't want to drink" and you swallow the pill and WOOPS it's too late. No going back. But maybe it's not like that. Maybe I have been fooling myself about this. When it comes right down to it, you gotta do it yourself, I guess.

Comment

Antabuse?

I took this

Just note...another post that got sent to MWO heaven

Anyways I did take this. The liver stuff never scared me..because drinking was worse anyways. If I took anatbuse for 6 months or drank for the next 20 years...well antabuse looked good. It did stop me from drinking. Wasn't so much the throwing up...but the stories of breaking out in hives and having to go to the ER that did. It builds in your system..so the longer you take it, the longer it takes to get off if you want to drink.

I just posted under GD with "My Journey". I believe now more than ever that this is nothing more than a brain imbalance. Anatbuse will not help you with that...and the brain imbalance will eventually win over the Antabuse.

Comment

Antabuse?

and the brain imbalance will eventually win over the Antabuse. Good point, Karma -- I agree. Antabuse won't be a long-term solution. Damn...no magic pill!
                        Blue Eyes

Comment

Antabuse?

Well I am here at Day One, and waiting until 11 AM so it will be 12 hours since my last drink so I can take it the Antabuse that has been sitting in my cupboard. My husband is out of town for 2 weeks, and I don't trust myself with my impulses, especially alone. Drank a bottle of wine last night and then moved on to the bourbon...

My plan is to follow what someone else said in a prior post, just take it once or twice a week to help with periods of temptation. My hope is that once I get further into the program I won't feel the need for the extra insurance. Will let you know how it goes.

Comment

Antabuse?

arlen07, how are you doing on the antabuse? I just took one today, and I'm a little scared.

Thanks

Comment

Antabuse?

Hi, I am new to here, just started the program and am thrilled. I want you to know that I tried Antabuse last year and was not pleased. The problem is that it didn't take away any of the cravings... so when I did eventually drink, I really suffered. So, I just threw up my hands, waited till it wore off and kept drinking. I really need something to take I away the cravings. I hope this is helpful. Now, I'm taking the Topa and it takes away the desire! I understand that there are other drugs, other herbs that do this as well. I hope you find what works for you, even if it's the Antabuse - I understand that that works for some people! Just my experience for what it's worth.

Comment

Antabuse?

Hi, tried Antabuse last year. It didn't take away the cravings, so I drank and got sick, which was just cruel. I simply waited a few weeks till it wore off, threw the pills away and drank with a vengeance. Incidentally, it didn't make me throw up. Instead, it makde my face blood-red and made my head throb. A different type of horrible suffering. Now, just starting the Topa with hopes that the cravings are going away for good!

Comment

Working...
                                X