Me, myself and getting sober

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I had a horrible drinking dream last night, I was in my mums old house (but not) and lying in bed and my daughter and her mother in law were there along with my youngest son and my mum. I was trying to hid my drink from them in the bedroom but they kept on coming in and shouting at me and finding it. Eventually after the mother in law found my last bottle I left and walked out to become homeless so I could drink. I left with ?10 in my bra then woke up and, I was in that half awake, half asleep state and was still worrying if all my booze had been thrown out, then I was relieved to find it was a dream but the horrible feeling has stayed with me.

Comment

I woke up with horrible feelings too Space, been fighting them for hours now. Time for the gabapentin I guess.

About how much mag to take? 500mg 2xday.

Start your dose at one 500 mg tablet or capsule twice a day. Malate is the preferred form, but glycinate and citrate also work quite nicely. You can increase this to four tablets twice a day (two grams) if necessary. You can go up to eight per day in divided doses for severe cases. Diarrhea is the only side effect of magnesium, and you can easily reduce the dose if this occurs.

Dr Mercola's website is the best authority on all things nutrition and has lots more to say if you search it.

Comment

The mag tablets I have got are 300mg and I have taken one already so will take another with calcium vit d before bed, not sure if I should go to taking 3 a day or not will try tommorrow. This bad feeling is still with me, its nearly 5pm here now and I feel like Im sliding into a black hole, if I wasnt taking the antabuse I would drink, the cravings are physical, I am salivating for vodka for gods sake. Im so glad my sons are here at least that means I will cook and eat a meal with them soon.

Comment

Good plan. Take another mag now unless you're worried about diarrhea.

Comment

spacebebe01;1205268 wrote: I had a horrible drinking dream last night, I was in my mums old house (but not) and lying in bed and my daughter and her mother in law were there along with my youngest son and my mum. I was trying to hid my drink from them in the bedroom but they kept on coming in and shouting at me and finding it. Eventually after the mother in law found my last bottle I left and walked out to become homeless so I could drink. I left with ?10 in my bra then woke up and, I was in that half awake, half asleep state and was still worrying if all my booze had been thrown out, then I was relieved to find it was a dream but the horrible feeling has stayed with me.
            Those dreams are really freaky aren't they. I hope it helps to know you are not alone with them. You are also not alone going through horrible anxiety, etc. just coming off of alcohol. For so many of us - it does get better if you hang in there, and taking supplements to help correct nutritional deficiencies really helped me I think. This is so hard, but it can be done! Please keep hope alive.

spacebebe01;1205321 wrote:
            The mag tablets I have got are 300mg and I have taken one already so will take another with calcium vit d before bed, not sure if I should go to taking 3 a day or not will try tommorrow. This bad feeling is still with me, its nearly 5pm here now and I feel like Im sliding into a black hole, if I wasnt taking the antabuse I would drink, the cravings are physical, I am salivating for vodka for gods sake. Im so glad my sons are here at least that means I will cook and eat a meal with them soon.
            I am glad your sons are with you and you can have dinner together. Have you made plans for some activities to help get your mind off AL during your witching hours? I used to keep a written list handy and when I had a mind numbing craving and couldn't think straight, I would pull out my list and pick something. Sounds silly, but it really helped me "change the channel" in my head.

I'm so sorry to hear your bac is delayed - just sending you some support in hopes you can hang in there until your bac arrives.

DG
            Sobriety Date = 5/22/08
            Nicotine Free Date = 2/27/07

One day at a time.

Comment

I have upped my mag and omega 3 and have just taken antabuse. Am still hanging in there.

Comment

good for you, bebe! hang in there. sounds like rough going, and that dream, oy vey! i'm so sorry to hear that your bac is delayed! that royally sucks. i have no doubt that it will make you feel better, though, perhaps even instantly (for me that happend at the first 5 mg), so let it come much sooner than they said! as doggy said, keep hope alive!

btw, dg, that list idea is an excellent one! i can totally see how that would help, like a toolbox in list form. it helps so much to have things to do that you find rewarding, such that your list doesn't look like a bunch of chores. besides the loveliness of your boys, what else do you enjoy, b? dive into that stuff to help with the angst. and exercise, ohh, exercise ~ how that helps! i can't remember what you might've said about any of this, so here's just what comes first to mind.

we're rooting for you, girl!

xo xo rudy

Comment

Keep hanging on Space, did the bac come yet? Good job!!!! :h

Comment

spacebebe01;1205819 wrote: I have upped my mag and omega 3 and have just taken antabuse. Am still hanging in there.
                    GOOD JOB!!!!! I know this is hard. I am so happy for you that you are just finding a way to hang in there!!!

DG
                    Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

spacebebe01;1205264 wrote: I have just got an e-mail telling me that my bac is delayed and wont be here until the end of the month, Im well pissed off, oh well just have to wait longer, if I can I will order more from another company tommorrow. I hate it that Ive made a decision to do this and just want to get started and now i cant.
                      Space, take this as a good sign. You will now know in the future that you need to order ahead of time. Way ahead of time. Baclofen can cause seizures if you suddenly stop taking it. So, you don't want to be in this situation once already taking baclofen. =)
                      Still fighting the good fight.

Comment

spacebebe01;1204947 wrote: Thank Ruby, to be honest with you apart from getting a doctor on side, which I doubt is possible, Im not going to make much progress with my family over the meds, they are just totally against the whole idea. That is there opinion tho and Im prepared to carry on as planned they are very supportive of my getting sober in any other way, its just that they cannot understand why I feel the need for this. Its only after the years of trying every other way I can find that I am going the meds way. Im waiting on delivery of bac, still AF taking antabuse and campral, I think again today there have been times when I might have drank if not for the antabuse but Im prepared to carry on like this because I know its not forever, just until the bac arrives.
                        Space, I don't have family support either. Well, my dad did tell me to get sober the last time we spoke but that was nearly 6 months ago. Either way, sometimes you just have to go it alone. It's nice to have a support group somewhere. Such as having this forum, it's nice to know that people know where you are coming from. They may not agree with you some of the time, but you know that they understand the battle that you are going through I.E. alcoholism. Sober people have no clue what we go through. Therefore, it's hard for them to understand our frustration. And with old values such as will power and prayer, which most of the time haven't worked, it's hard to get people out of the old and into the new. Just know that by taking baclofen, you ARE bettering yourself. Hell, just acknowledging that you have a problem and are doing what you can to take care of it deserves praise. There are many who can't or won't even do this. At least, you can say this about yourself. Perhaps, you can address your family this way. Tell them that you are acknowledging that you have a problem and that you are doing your best to fix it. If all else fails, you still have us. =)
                        Still fighting the good fight.

Comment

Thanks again for all the replies, I really do apprieciate it so much. Btuun I propbably already told you somewhere else that I have now ordered a second lot of bac,
                          D&T I agree the delay in the first lot may well be a good thing, once I recieve and start taking the bac I will order some more, keep my eye on the big picture and make sure I dont risk running out,
                          Doggy thanks all of you for your words of encouragement, it is helping me massively to be able to come on here and either post on here but mostly just looking around and reading, it helps so much knowing others are know what Im going through kind of and how Im thinking. Am still taking antabuse and still sober, also taking campral and the supps.

Comment

I dont know if any ones seen this but I thought it looked quite interesting http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dnsCQbEkzZk[/video]]Pleasure Unwoven: A Personal Journey About Addiction - YouTube I think its something to do with the Betty Ford clinic not sure about that but the bit I looked at is about the Pleasure Unwoven dvd. I cant but it in UK so Ive only seen this snippet of it. sorry I dont know how to copy a link so you can just click on it, but I think if you drag and highlight it it will then come up as go to: when you right click onit.

Comment

I mentioned in another thread that I recieved my gabapentin today, I wassnt going to take any but when my I started feeling low and craving a drink this afternoon I decided to try one. I had got 400mg capsules and didnt want to take that much first time and was unsure how I was going to split a capsule without throwing half away. Anyway what I did was open the capsule and pour half the contents into a rizzla then close the capsule back up and screw up the rizzla with the rest in. I took the rizzla one which would be around 200mg, I can see why this stuff can be abused, I have just drifted threw the day feeling a bit kind of stoned but with energy, the problem now is its 10.45pm here and now I am in the kitchen with a munchie attack and I feel exhuasted but with a buzzy head as well. I will report on here how my night went tommorrow, I havent been getting off to sleep well for over a week so I hope IO do tonight.

Comment

Hi space! Thanks for sharing that youtube clip. I might come back tomorrow and try to figure out if the whole series from that guy is available somewhere. (maybe it's free - I didn't go to his web site.) I like the analogies between the brain and the landscape for some reason. I can relate to that as a non-sciency person!

I hope you are able to sleep tonight. I have sleep problems myself (menopause) and I totally get how precious a good night sleep can be!

DG
                                Sobriety Date = 5/22/08

One day at a time.

Comment

Working...
                                X