Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TOPAMAX SURVEY - DOSAGE/LENGTH OF TIME/SUCCESS

Hi Choose,

I have to concur with Breez. The headaches could be a mixture of withdrawals, frustration, but most importantly lack of hydration. YOU MUST DRINK LOADS OF WATER. At least 2 - 3 litres a day. The problem is that Topa dehydrates you. Most people get headaches because they stop alcohol and then blame it on Topa. Hang in there. Give it a couple of weeks. What you have to watch for is when the symptoms persist after 3 - 4 weeks. My doctor actually said, on month. If symptoms did not go away after a month, I would have had to titrate down. But usually, the body gets used to the drug. It's a drug, don't forget. And you're only on day 12. So just give yourself a chance to get used to it. Take enough rest. In the early stages, I used to go to bed at 7 pm, so tired I was. After one week, I was back to my old self, well nearly.

Good luck.
    Paddy
    Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

An article in Tuesday's Denver Post, July 10, 2007, discusses a drug called varenicline. It is currently sold to help smokers kick the habit but recent research suggests it may help curb alcohol urges also. Has anyone heard anything about this? Does anyone (especialy RJ) know where I can go to read the findings on these early studies?

Any help would be great.
      marcel
      Reach deep, find your will power.

Comment

I've been on 225 mgs TOPA (25 mgs increase over my normal dose) for since 23 June. I've been suffering of a probable side effect, which manifests itself by sensitive skin in the area of armpits and top left/right arms (at times really hurting, particularly the right arm), for about 8 or so days. Moreover, my panic attacks are on the comeback ...

It's not all bleak, I'm just considering my options -

1) either going on with the same dose
        2) or go down with the dosage back to original dosage 200 mgs

Anybody going through similar experiences?
        Paddy

Comment

hey paddy drank through 200gm and also 300gm so bad person to ask. Didn't feel like drinking just couldn't help myself. Same side effects knoumb fingers etc and all fizzy drinks taste like shit. Kimbo
          Yesterday I dared to struggle. Today I dare to win!!

Comment

Cheers Boycie, I'll see Kimbo. I have a feeling to go down to 200 mgs anyway, as haven't been drinking at all for a couple of weeks, just to see if I can cope with cravings on 200 mgs.
            Paddy

Comment

This is my fourth week on the program. I had to lower dosage to 15 mg sprinkle capsules due to headaches. This week I tried to increase dosage to 2 x 15 mg in the am and 2 x 15 mg in the pm. Big mistake! Really bad headache and diarrhea to boot! I don't have any cravings and I am taking the supplements and doing the CD's faithfully. I am not sure if I will be able to continue on the topamax. My doctor will be back from vacation on Monday so I plan to talk to him. Anyone have any ideas?
              cat700

Comment

The thing is not to increase the dosage too fast, only 25 mgs max. And also to drink plenty of water while taking it. The headache is often brought on by dehydration. I wouldn't give up too fast on it. Side effects tend to settle after a week or so. Yet with diarrhea you better be careful, you may see the doc on Monday if it persists.
                Paddy

Comment

Week 1 on Topamax

I worked with my doctor and decided to start right in at 200mg day. 100AM/100PM.
                  I am 59 year male with a history of heavy drinking. I have had periods of total abstinance
                  but it was getting harder to be functional on a regular basis.
                  Even though I was detoxing from alcohol, the cravings left me the first day and hasn't come back. I had tingling in my foot and hand for a few days but that's gone.
                  I sleep all night for the first time in years, real sleep.
                  Maybe there's a chance for me yet.:new: :new:

Comment

Good on you, Sailor.

Still I'm a bit concerned for you to start at such high a dosage. Frankly, if I were you I'd go easy on the Topa, just to be on the safe side. There's no harm to take 2 weeks more, but go easier on your system. Like, increase 50 mgs per week.

Just some advice from someone who's been through side effects and all that jazz.

In general, the fastest you should increase is every 4 days, and only by 25 mgs.

Anyhoo, just a tip. Remember, you're dealing with a mind-altering drug ...
                    Paddy

Comment

Yikes! 200 mg Right away??

Sailor,

Did the doctor recommend that?

I know you feel really good right now but I have found the side effects tend to take a couple of days to take effect.

I am very glad it is helping with your cravings and helping you stay AF.

Best of luck and do what your doctor says.

Cindi
                      AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Rash??

Has anyone gotten a skin rash from the Topamax?

Cindi
                        AF April 9, 2016

Comment

hi all! i have been taking it slow. i have been on topa for 4 weeks now and just gone up to 100mg...50 morning, and 50 evening. at first i couldn't stand it because i was depressed and tired from alchohol as it was...it got worse at 75 mg and then as my drinking moderated, and i also stayed at 75 longer till side effects went almost away, i felt almost normal, or whatever that may be...well i am at 100mg right now and feeling great...some tingling, feel slow but good...more clear and yes, the side effects are going away! i am still moderating my drinking and not being too harsh about abs for now...1-3 glass of wine or none...better than 1 or2 bottles a day!!!

another thing...i am also being treated for depression and have noticed my mood has been stable for the past couple of weeks, people have noticed...i have lost 5 pounds and am getting into exercise more and my whole outlook on life is much better! so far so good!

i say topa IS a miracle drug for me

also...the non-smoking pill is called CHANTIX i think someone asked...works like topa in a way...i quit in feb 2007.

Comment

Cindi, skin irritations CAN be a side effect from Topa. I'm dealing with something at the moment, which is a kind of skin irritation. I'm on 200 mgs (actually titrating down from 225 mgs). It's a sort of skin irritation which manifests itself on the top right arm (back, just top of the arm pit). My doc said that it could be the Topa. The thing is that it could also well be the heat here, we're at 35 Celsius during the day.

But frankly, I'm mostly in airconned rooms, so ... In any case, I'm titrating down the Topa. I've also seen my panic attacks coming back over the past 2 weeks, after I increased the Topa to 225 mgs. I don't know, again, if it's the drug or other factors. But I'll go down with the dose, and I keep everyone posted here just to relay my experience.

Best
                            Paddy

Comment

To answer Paddy's question that he asked on 6-30: What's your off switch dose?
                              300mg of topa is working really well for me now. I started taking Topa the beginning of April.
                              I now take 150mg in the morning and 150mg in the evening. I am finding right now that I have no desire to have a drink at 300mg. Probably because I don't like sugar as much now that I'm on Topa.

Paddy I also checked out that new Topamax website too.

So am the only one that is taking 300 mg? Yikes! I know that the maximum mgs prescribed is up to a 1,000. In the MYO book it shows that you can take up to 300mg if your body can tolerate it.

It can be kind of confusing being on this medication because it's exciting but yet you don't want to be too dependent on it.

Happier

Comment

Skin Irritation and Results of 100 mg

Paddy and All,

My Doctor said my skin problem is NOT related to the topa and suggested I start taking my own soap and hair stuff with me and not using hotel supplied. I am thrifty, okay cheap, so have always used the free stuff, which my usual hotel just changed brands, apparently I am allergic to that. This all happened about the same time I started taking the topa.

The REALLY good news is that the topa is kicking in. I mean REALLY kicking in.

I have been reading with some serious JEALOUSY people who have had great results on low dosages and not wanting to drink. I had no such luck. However, I am now finding myself at what one would call true moderation for the first time. OHMIGOD!!

I cannot even THINK, CONSIDER, WANT more than one glass of wine in a sitting. The thought makes me cringe. I LOVE IT!! I AM ECSTATIC!!

It took about a month for this to happen for me.

I am one happy girl tonight. I never ever ever thought this could happen for me.

I go to bed tonight feeling like tomorrow is a new day. When I explained how I felt to my husband at lunch when someone asked me if I wanted a second glass of wine and I said no, and I told him, ugh, the thought makes me sick, he laughed and said, wow, that's how I have always felt about drinking. One is great, two is too many!! He is very happy for me, too!!

All I can say is the "topa dopa" effects are worth is for me!!!

Cindi
                                AF April 9, 2016

Comment

Working...
                                X