TOPAMAX SURVEY - DOSAGE/LENGTH OF TIME/SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

PS: but I don't think it's the CDs. I have a hard time dragging myself out of the bed lately but that's better than being awake all night.
    sigpic
    Thoughts become things..... choose the good ones. ~TUT

Comment

Hi all ... been a while since I updated on this post. I have just stuck with the 100 mgs Topa (50 mg morning and then late afternoon) and moderation has become a piece of cake for me. I dont even think about having more than one drink if I'm alone (this after a 1+ bottle a wine a night habit every night for 3 yrs) ... indeed, I can't even convince myself to pour a second if, in my mind, I think I want it for the taste alone. My body just doesn't want it. It doesn't appeal after the first one. It's enough.

I've been on Topa since just before Thanksgiving. Worked up from 25 mg a day for a week to 50 mgs a day for a week, to 75 mg a day for a week to 100 mgs a day for a week. Dopiness kicked in at 75-100 mgs but went away after a month or so. Tingles still come and go but aren't too annoying. Side effects have pretty much gone away. I've dropped about 10 pounds that I needed to lose (I've put on about 25 lbs on my formerly very slim frame from drinking over the last 3 yrs and it's nice to start to see the old me start to emerge again ....) Hope I'll keep going down if I stick with it. I don't do the CDs but I do use the All-One about 5 days a week, as well as the Evening primrose, B vitamins, and other supps. Amazing how well this stuff works ... love looking back at my old 'oh ... I'm too scared' posts from last fall and thinking of how far I've come. This drug and this plan have changed my life. It's amazing to me, every day, that I am no longer overwhelmed by the desire to drink ... still can enjoy 'just one' like a 'normal' person would do.

Comment

oh, and sorry ... i just saw the request from the person who asked me how much biotin and selenium i took for the hair issue. actually, i just started taking the 'all-one' once i realized it had them in it .. it was more cost-effective than buying them separately. but if you don't want to buy the all-one, the recommending biotin/selenium/zinc dosing amounts to help with hair loss/texture changes is listed in the book in an appendix ... i just don't have it handy .. sorry!! the other thing i've found is that it's about half hair loss and half texture change (weird texture makes it seem even thinner). get a very very deep conditioner and it your hair will feel better ...

Comment

Quick question? Does the Topa cause hair loss or alcohol consumption? I just ordered all my stuff....have the CD's already, and waiting for the rest...ie starter kit, and Topa. I already have some hair thinning (I am 64 and have always had rather thin blond hair)..I just had my first AF day yesterday and I am so very excited to be starting a new life.
          I am not on any other medications though I was on Zoloft after my husband died 10 years ago. Thanks...

Comment

4 Days on Topa

It was GREAT to read vino_grrl's update. I hope some of the others that have used this thread from the beginning come back and continue to give updates. It REALLY helps newbies like myself. I am 41 days AF - but just started taking the Topa last Thursday so today is day 4. I can't really tell much yet. I think over all I feel a little crisper in my brain ... but that could be the supps also. No ill side effects yet - but I plan on posting my progress here at this survey every few weeks. I am feeling quite optimistic.
            Liv
            AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

I am starting back on topa for the third time. This time I am titrating up VERY slowly to avoid side-effects.

I have had skin rashes both times I tried before but am wondering if it was just dry skin due to dehydration from not drinking enough? I am going to double my water intake this time.

I'll post my progress, too.

Oh, on the hair loss, take biotin and selenium and remember RJ said a little extra potassium might help with the tingling.

Let's all hope this works for all of us!!

Love,
              Cindi
              AF April 9, 2016

Comment

I am almost to my fourth week of topa now. Now on 100mgs, will be on 150mgs in 2 days. I am following RJ's guidelines to the letter for titrating....I have had no serious side effects, just a little "loopy" right after taking the pill(s). Sometimes I lose track of what I am doing (like when driving, I forget where I am going), or I forget words - but nothing really serious.

I don't have the tingling or hair loss. But, I am not at my goal dose yet, don't know what that will be, I guess when "the switch" happens, I will stop going up...

Right now, as far as cravings and alcohol use, I am able to stop drinking mid-stream, which is totally amazing because I am a binger and ALWAYS drink to blackout. The ability to put a glass of wine down with wine still in it used to be foreign to me but I can now do it. Beer tastes REALLY bad. I never drank soda, so I can't tell you any difference there.

I am trying to go AF and am now on 4 days. The cravings (psychological, not physical) are pretty bad - but only because I am bored and going through relationship problems. I will post in a few days after my dose is higher (150mgs).

Oh - I am female, 5'8" - 130lbs. Binge drinker. Used to drink 3-4 nights a week, 2 bottles of wine and then beer until I passed out/blacked out.

Comment

:new: new and avidly reading ALL the posts. It's a rollercoaster ride for sure. I am on week 4 and am wondering do you ever get off this stuff? I'm hoping to do the program and then live happily ever after (ok, I know that's a fantasy but indulge the newbie for a moment). Vino, I note you've be on topa for around five months and moderating great. Do you plan to titrate off? I got the impression that Roberta titrated off in the book but I guess it seems foggy to me what actually DOES happen after the 3 months. Can anyone clarify????

Comment

Paddy,

Re: Reducing sugars and carbs - i've received the same advice. I'm now eliminating carbs from the diet as they release sugars into the blood stream that bring on an imbalance of blood sugar levels which leads to cravings i.e. for me/us alcohol. Only day two, so far good results, keep you posted.

Comment

Keke, it's been my experience that going to see a kinesiologist can really help balance the body to the side effects of medication. Kinesiology if your unfamiliar with the practice is defined as - a system of natural health care which combines muscle monitoring with the principles of Chinese medicine to assess energy and body function, applying a range of gentle yet powerful healing techniques to improve health, wellbeing and vitality.

It's very effective in both healing the body, including dealing with the cravings and desire for drinking. I've done the Kinesiology course only recently, i thought it would teach me to heal myself which it is - this is my experience: I started Topa 3 days ago, 25mg x 2 days and now 25mg this morning and again tonight. AF day one, drank day 2 not really because I felt like it but had a friend from interstate and it would have been strange not too, not that I?m using that as an excuse. Today day 3, AF. I?m using kinesiology to balance my body to reduce the effects of the topa , so far so good, it's working.. Just a few simple 1-2 minute exercises repeated a few times during the day.. Any one can do it. I learnt it over a few weekends.. The course is called Touch for Health, it has a number of levels from 1-4 then 5 which is practitioner. I would be in a very different position without this tool. For people just looking for the benefits without the learning look up your local kinesiology centre. As well as making you feel better, more balanced and yourself, they will help you get to the heart of why you drink in the first place. This is what it?s done for me.

Hope this helps some else like it's helping me.

Comment

Hello,
                        Did you stay abstenant for the first part and if so, how long?

Comment

Hello everyone on this thread, Well, after much lurking I think this might be a good place for me to post as after starting the program back in October without topo, then quitting the supps to start topo to go back off topo and back on topo......What a roller coaster as someone else mentioned above.

What I am doing now.... I trying to take 50 mg of topa, 5 days a week. I seem to have side effects that I don't really want to put up with, but at this point have decided to give it some time anyway. Also, I am taking 10 mg a day of lexapro mainly for anxiety and was wondering if anyone has experince with this combination. Will it counterreact with each other or help one another? I can't seem to find any doctor who does and I am not sure I want to share the whole story because THEY JUST DON'T GET IT!!.

Also, the other thing I am doing is weight watchers, which I have been successful with before. I need to loose about 20 lbs.

I am also going to try going back to the original supps and give them a good try and keep a daily diary of how I am feeling. Before I found (with the supps only) very irritable and just plain not good, but they did help with the cravings.

Anyway I hope to update on a regular basis, maybe once a week. I also hope everyone else is finding success with this program as it does seem to work but does need some tweeking.

Take care and enjoy the weekend.

Comment

Now on week....oh let me see - I think it is week 6? I have titrated from 150mg back down to 125mg. 50mgs in the morning with my supps and 75mgs at night before bed. 150mg was WAY too much for me - I was not feeling well at all, of course I found out that the Kudzu was giving me temporary anemia as well (I am very susceptible to anemic episodes and didn't read that study). So, now I am off the Kudzu and down to 125mg of topa. Haven't had a drink in 3 weeks. Don't even want one - don't even think about it. I have cut out all of the supps except the AllOne and an Iron tablet. I am feeling very fuzzy - could be the low iron, and the topa as well. I ordered some Adrafinil as I heard that can really help with the fuzziness and tired feelings. Right now I fix that right up with a cup of coffee for lunch and also right after dinner. Not real good for me, but hey, better than 2 bottles of wine, right?

Not yet working out regularly because I am so damned tired but I am hoping that will pass as RJ says it does...But I feel great being AF, I don't mind the fuzziness or the occasional tingles in the feet and hands.:H I figure this will all work out, it seems it is all part of the healing process and my body is getting used to not being abused (20 years of binge drinking, wow...)

Comment

18 days on topa - 75 mg

Just posting my day 18 on topa at 75 mg (25 am 50 pm) I am just starting to lose my appetite a slight bit (haven't lost any weight) have slight topa dopa but not bad, am having some word loss (cognitive difficulties) and a tin taste in my mouth. The tin taste is more profound the first 2 days after titrating up. No alcohol consumed No cravings for me. But ...

Emotionally I am a wreck. But I am thinking now it is not the topa. I am going to cut back on the Kudzu (have been taking the max), cut back on some PS and some other supplements just to see what the overall effect is for a few days. I will report back again.

Oh - I am 5' 5 female 130 pounds - couldn't remember if I had posted that for this "scientific" report!!
                              AF since Jan. 1, 2008 .... It all began right here

Raise your hopeful voice, you have a choice, you made it now.

(from the Movie "Once")

Comment

most recent update ...

so here i am at the end of month three on topa (someone in one post seemed to think it was five ... no! i started right before thanksgiving! so it's basically dec, jan and feb) and what happens? my prescription refill from the website gets intercepted! yow! so it's off to the doctor tomorrow in hopes he'll write me a prescription since i only have about 2.5 days left and i don't want to go cold turkey. i'd been afraid to have it on my pharmeceutical record that i was on this drug. hopefully he'll write it as if it's for migraines. argh. sad that we have to worry about such things to remain insurable in the US.

anyhow, livingfree .... kudos to you! i just saw your posts. i'd NEVER have been able to have been able to do even 1 day (much less 41) AF w/o Topa (if I could have done that i doubt i'd have thought i needed help! it was the inability to go even a day AF that led me here). my plan -- since i now have to go to the doctor for my topa -- is to get a medical eval to see how i'm tolerating it overall (kidney wise, etc).

my own evaluation is that it suits me unbelievably well. i've gotten through the dopiness and seem to be able to function just fine ... (and my job is being articulate/using words/speaking publicly). people w/bipolar disorder, migraines, etc. stay on it for years and -- frankly -- if it's not doing me any physical harm, i might just stay on it for a while til i feel confident enough that my patterns have changed. i'm on a pretty low dose (100mg). and it's working really well. it keeps me from binging. keeps me at 1-2 .. whether i'm home alone, or out with friends ... or at a party. although I'm thinking of going up to 125 mg to see if that helps push the 'off switch' a little further (in other words, maybe 1 will feel like more of 'enough' more of the time when i'm out and two will become more of a rarity).

for everyone just starting out ... it's really worth it. stick with it, even when you feel super dopey. ;-) it goes away (and think of how much more dopey you are when you're drunk as hell ... you just don't THINK you are because you've gotten used to it! Get used to this instead and you'll be glad. Really you will .... )

Comment

Working...
                                X