TOPAMAX SURVEY - DOSAGE/LENGTH OF TIME/SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm a 50 year old male. 5 Ft. 10 and 200 # - have been taking Topamax for 3 months and have settled at 100 mgs in the morning. Started at 25 mg and increased by 25 per week.

Side effects: A general difficulty with concentration/attention that has diminished over the months. Depression and some anger issues – this may or may not be attributable to the drug or exacerbated by it – could be part of the normal recover process. Tingling in hands and feet – I just ignore it as a minor side effect

Success: Topamax has totally taken away the physical desire to drink making it easy to deal with the psychological aspect of the addiction – part of it is just the fast that is a habit. I tried the moderation route but found that Topamax and alcohol did not mix well. For me abstinence is the way to go.

Other Meds: Adrafinil (Olmifon) – available online used to deal with the difficulty with concentration/attention attributed to Topamax. Lots of coffee.

Comment

Oh, Jaded, I ordered my Adrafinil online. Here are some sites:

http://www.antiaging-systems.com/ias...adrafinil.html
      Price: $29.99

Biogenesis Laboratories - adrafinil, anti-depressant - Product Information
      Price: $33.20

http://qhi.co.uk/list.asp?r=860
      Price: $26.3416

Comment

Thanks, Sidney - I agree with you completely. Haven't received my topa yet, but here are some of the side effects of my little (2-bottle/night) wine habit that I deal with daily:

indigestion
        fatigue
        red, swollen eyes with red rash around them (have developed wine allergy, apparently) - more makeup!
        excema patches on my face - even more makeup!
        weight gain (30 pounds on my previous six-pack abs, that hurts!!!)
        congestion/sneezing
        itchy rashes at wrists, elbows, other joints
        hot/cold flashes
        shaky hands
        never having money in spite of a healthy income
        no time - have about 2 hours after work before I pass out (drink round two around 2 or 3 a.m.)
        large Benadryl, Alleve, Tagamet, and Rolaids bill - must have at all times

oh...and I'm already foggy during the day, forgetting words and easily confused - boatloads of wine will do that to a girl.

Again, I haven't tried the topa yet, but at this point, I ain't scared of the side effects.

Comment

I had many of those symptoms I was either drunk or hungover a month ago. I have now lost 13 lbs in a month. My stomach is almost flat. My red bloated face is nearly normal. My double chin gone. I can concentrate. Sleep. I have energy and can do my job without screwing up or going to the bathroom to throw up. The topa is a miracle I just pray I can keep on going. If I forget words or think slowly it is a small price to pay. It takes away a good deal of the craving. I still have to fight it just makes it easier. I wish it worked for everyone. I was on it before this time it seems to have clicked because I am not drinking at all.

Comment

Hi Sidney what dose are you on??
            Regards Cap

Comment

i take 100 mg morning and 100 mg at 5 pm

Comment

did you find a point that it Works
                Cap

Comment

I took my first 25 mg yesterday and one today. No side effects so far - and this is the first Saturday I've been sober in months and months and months. I weeded the flower bed, folded the laundry, put away the Christmas wreaths that have been in the car port since December - incredible!!! Not saying I've got this licked, but it's a good day.

Comment

Ooooooo-kay...maybe I spoke too soon. Just heated up my lunch and put it in the dog bowl, which was on the counter next to my bowl. ??????????? Ha!!

Comment

Hahahaha!!

Comment

It use to work at 50 mg now it works at 200 mg

Comment

Update - I'm at 100 mg of topa. So far, no side effects at all, no real reduction in cravings that I can tell. I'm going to stay here for 4 days and then move up to 125. I'm hopeful that the switch will flip for me at 150 or 200 like it did for so many of you.

Comment

side effects

Has anyone experienced itching or prickly heat with the topa? I just upped to 50mg. yesterday.

Comment

Srand,
                              Sorry no itching or rash -- maybe it's something else and just coincidence.

I have been contemplating going off of Topa (I posted another thread) but many of you are saying that something "clicks" at 150 or 200 mg. I am currently at 100 mg; would go to 150 tomorrow unless I dose down/discontinue. I am still having cravings (guess that's what you'd call them) but they are psychological, not physical. I don't like the word "cravings" -- can we come up with something else??

Larisa, LOL about the Xmas wreaths being put away in May -- I have stuff in my house that's been sitting around for at least a year!

Comment

update - I have not posted for awhile - I kind of thought I would be one of those people that wouldn't need to take a lot. That has not been the case. I am now up to 150 mg and still am drinking everyday - some days can cut back but still is an effort. I too am wondering should I continue? My goal was to cut back to half. Side effects are the tingling in fingers just in the mornings usually - sometimes the fog (topa - dopa) - sometimes the metallic taste.

Comment

Working...
                                X