TOPAMAX SURVEY - DOSAGE/LENGTH OF TIME/SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I cant be bothered!!!!!!! sorry make sure you get good quality topa and dont drink on it !!!!! its a serious drug it will stop the cravings but you need to deal with the issues that lead you to drink in the first place !!! The reason I say i cant be bothered is that when I take it the cravings stop but the problems remain IT DOESENT RESOLVE the reason you drink to excess!!!!!!! topa wont stop that !!!

Comment

DMB, Zen, me1455,
      Should we start the thread in general or under the topa?
      I'm on day 4 of topa supps and inconsistent CD listening (although I do enjoy it)
      I'm 40 132lbs. and ready to be AF! for 30 days.
      I've joined a boat camp with a friend at my club on Mondays Wednesdays and Fridays! I'm rereading MWO. I'm excited and nervous of what is to come with AF days.
      So far no side effects.
      I did get my topa from River no Dr.
      I did get blood work (for my ob/gyn appt. next week) and my thryoid test came back bad!!! I bet there is a connection with A.
      Lets keep in touch. its nice to know someone is starting out too!
      Zen, me1455,DMB we can do this!!!

Comment

its up to you guys if you want to continue posting on here,and not start a new thread ( or start a new thread) either is fine with me.. i just began topa as well and havent gone up yet past 25 mg bc i wanted to see if i had side effects before i ordered more.. so now i ordered more and when i receive it in the mail ( next week or two) im going to increase by 25mg each week. it helped me first in the beginning, even on 25, like the first week, then ifound it didnt do anything..a nd its not supposed to really until at least 50 i hear... ive been on it for a few weeks now. so lets keep updating eachother on how we do. my biggest fear is tha the depression i am prone to will be worse from topa. i did feel it also helped my sleep in the beginning.. so i really need to up the dose now, as my body is used to the 25mg im not having any side effects. my goal is moderation, not af, but if it doesnt work id have to go af as the alcohol is just controlling my life these days. my average drinking, average-is about a bottle of wine a night, and then i have those weekend days where i go out to eat in the afternoon, have two or three beers, and then continue at home at some point and have another bottle of wine.. or if im out at a bar i obviousally then drink alot more than a few beers. i try to have af days, but they seem to happen about once a week these days. and of course its a struggle to not buy wine on the way home. so thats my deal. what is your drinking situation everyone? and how is the topa helping so far? i really wont see much change until i increase my dose.. ( two weeks should be here from acelpsa)

Comment

hi me,
          I just ordered the Adranfil from bio-genesis. RJ recomended it in her book for the the "topa dopa" effect and it also is a mood enhancer. I did some googling on it and I ordered it.
          I'm willing to try meds to kick Al.
          I did some blood work earlier this week - my thryroid came back bad. I think it might be AL related. Seeing an endocrologist next week for more blood work. I will ask for a full work up (I can even get my liver enzymes tested and homones)
          I"m going AL free this week. I'm feeling stronger.
          My side-effect so far with the topa is a metallic taste in my mouth. Not severe but present.
          I'm not a big pill popper person, but I need help with getting my cravings under control.
          I kicked smoking...I can kick AL.

Comment

HI guys,
            I just went up to 50 mg. of Topa today.
            Listening to CDs - I enjoy them, but they are time consuming. I skipped this afternoons but will listen to the sleep tonight.
            Taking the supplements.
            Exercising.
            I was suppose to go AF but I had wine yesterday and tonight. Nothing like I use too. Went to Superbowl party and drank lemon water!!! I had to drive and had my kids with me! I was so proud of myself. I watched everyone else get smashed!! Not pretty.
            I'm more likely to drink AL when I'm home - alone. It's easier for me to refrain in public/parties than alone...what does that say about me????
            Waiting for my cravings to subside...I know I'll have to work at it a lot, but I am hoping for a little help with the Topa and supps.
            The patches helped me kick the cigs. and I've been smoke free for over a year! If I kicked that nasty habit I can kick this one!
            Hope all is well with you
            Let me know how your jouney is going...
            take care

Comment

Hi Guys,
              I have a question for those who have been on topa awhile. I am up to 50mg and realized today that I will run out before my next ordre gets here. This is freaking me out. Should I cut back to 25mg a day to make it last and tthen go back up to 50 for a week and then on or what? Getting it from Canada really does take a long tiem. does anyone here have any they want to sell and send to Ohio? Am I worring needlessly...not that that would be new.
              Let me know...Thanks.

Comment

Zen, I am really proud of you. You have started very strong. Try getting out of the house and taking a walk and seeing some people. We are here to share the journey.

Comment

DOB,
                  Hi, it's so nice knowing you guys are out there at the same time of the journey with me. DOB, I think you could cut back (not being a doc) do you have any kudzu? That is how is found this sight! I was googling kudzu after I picked it up at Whole Foods. It helps with cravings. Give it a try.

Zen...you get a "one day pass" for the ob/gyn!!! I go next week. Isn't that TMI??!!
                  You sound like you're doing well! Keep on posting and letting us know how you're doing.

I'm doing well so far. Cravings are slowly diminshing. No tingling or "brain fog". Energy level is good - even a little better.
                  "Keep me posted" Ha-Ha-Ha

Comment

Hi Paddy,
                    I hope you still check in every now and then. I've read your posts from back in 2006 and they've been really helpful. I was wondering about how long one needs to stay on Topamax? Is this something I'll have to take for the rest of my life?

Comment

Zen,
                      I love your avatar!!Very nice.
                      It's going to take some time...I remind myself of that. I didn't get to this place overnight and I won't fix myself overnight. There are no magic pills or quick fixes.
                      I know topa isn't a magic pill - but the patch helped me kick my nic habit...so I'm willing to try.

I completely understand your "coming out of the closet" with the use of topa. I've been thinking a lot about that. I just told my husband (over the phone, coward that I am!) I think I drink too much. We talked awhile about it. He is open, supporitive, and would ease up on the drinking with me.
                      I haven't told him everything yet... I'm getting there...it's scary.

The CDs I enjoy but was unable to fit them in today! The sleep I will get in tonight, but it will be hard to get one in tomorrow!! I have to make time for them!
                      I to had 2 glasses of wine tonight...little also with cheese...
                      I'm done and I've eaten dinner and drinking water with some tea on the stove.
                      Waiting for the cravings to ease up a bit.
                      Hang in there Zen.

DMB,
                      how are you?

Comment

another newbie

Hey guys,

Glad I found this website! Other online communities you get attacked by AA nazis for not going with their program. I respect other's beliefs but it turns out it doesn't always go both ways.

I found this site as I have started taking Kudzu Recovery. At my worst, I was drinking a fifth of Vodka a night and not getting sick or having hang-overs...yikes! It was maybe half that over the past 5 years or so. I gained 30 lbls in 7 months from binge drinking nightly... finally I'm over that hump.

I'm very excited about Topamax after reading your stories. One of the hardest things for me was giving it up altogether...I'm 33 y/o male and very social.

I think I'll order it (Topamax) but I'm afraid of the haziness. I'm a programmer and concentration is key (not that going in after drinking a fifth the night before is at all condusive to concentration!). I tried quitting with antabuse (helps IF you take it...but I didn't want to quit altogether).

I'll be around.. just wanted to say Hello! and express that I'm happy to find you guys.

Comment

hey guys, i recently finally got my order of topa so i can up the dose from 25 to 50. i did it two days ago ( friday) and it was just horrible mentally. i was a depressed mess, emotioadnal, everything. my bf was here and we fight normally but forget it yesterday. i couldnt take anything... as it started to wear off towards the end of the night and now its this morning, i feel soo much better. however im not going to give up, but maybe break it in half and tiltrate up slower than 25mg each week. that is my only real bad side effect is the emotional depressive state . everything seemed dark. other than that my sleep improves ( with whacky dreams but im happy to be just sleeping better) and im a bit foggy. i just hope the depression goes away.. as far as it helping alcohol. definitely does not quite enough at 50mg but i see an improvement. this was the first weekend in a looong time where i only had two beers friday out at dinner and saturday three glasses of wine. i probably could have drantk more but the circumstances also helped. but another example is fri night there was alcohol and when my bf and i came back from dinner i chose to go to sleep rather than continue drinking.. normally i would continue drinking.. saturday after i had a few glasses of wine i probably would have drank more but there wasnt anymore. but i must admit i felt it go slower and kind of a bit of a struggle to drink. im scared thought bc i chase the high... i feel im different than others on here and wonder if it will work for me..the other thing i absolutey dread is that i dont get the good feeling from drinking on the topa for sure. when im drinking i dont feel the happy buzz. and as im drinking i say to myself theres no point, i dont feel good from this. thats what i felt on friday. but i want to do this for at least awhile to try to change my brain chemistry or whatever. get out of the habit. i kind of dont think i could stay on topa long term due to these side effects.. unless they go away.

Comment

also curious, do any of you start to feel headachey or sweaty or just plain not feelin to well if you have say a few glasses of wine or more than you should while on topa? i feel i start to feel a bit sickly, not nauseus, i think, as i said its only been a few days with uppin the dosage

Comment

Hi Topa Friends.

I've been taking Nal and drinking and wondering if anyone here has been that route and then went to topa or vis-versa??

Comment

Hi Friends,
                                I have been out of town at a dear friends funeral for the weekend. I really want to start a new thread so we don't have to dig so far fo r our help. I cut back to 50mg of topa until I get my next shipment unless I get my guts up to go to the dr...no likely.
                                How are all of you doing..Zen, How is it going? Solice, Hope all is well.
                                I will let you all know when I start the new thread...off to bed

Comment

Working...
                                X