TOPAMAX SURVEY - DOSAGE/LENGTH OF TIME/SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey everyone, zenstyle i was on 25mg for a few weeks and i really did feel it helped slightly but i have this bf that i drink with and its like im in such a habit of drinkig with him, and then i get a bit down from being hungover, then want to drink more, etc.. so i did feel the topa helping a tad but i didnt really try to go along with it, alot having to do with my bf. ( i wrote a thread about him) The weekends are my worst. the weekdays usually it doesnt go past a bottle of wine a night. but like i said with this bf, we'll start drinking at two pm on sat all night. then i wake up sunday feeling like crap and often start drinking again very early to relieve the crap and depression. i really need to talk to a therapist and resort my issues out bc i have mental things going on besides the drinking like mild depression ( even when im not drinking, a pyscho controlilng alcoholic bf, and a self destructivness in myself. anyways though! i plan on going up to fifty mg slower. i hope it works for me and really mainly hope the depression doesnt stay ..zenstyle as far as the water-if ur drinking less drinks than its def not from the water! even when u mix ur drinks like that your dehydrating yourself wtih the alc. what i mean though was did u feel u started to feel headachey while drinking on the topamax? not when ur sober.. the day i was on 50mg i noticed i started feeling headachey a bit of a throbbing when i started to get drunk. if i slowed down, the headache subsided. hast o be the topa right? i mean either way its not bad! lol

Comment

When can I stop taking Topa?

My question is the same as XYZ's. ...and: Has anybody gone off Topa and continued with his or her success?

Comment

Hi, I'm new here and can't figure out how to post yet, so hopefully this one goes through. I asked this question this morning, but don't know where it went? Anyway, is anyone worried about the long term effects of topa and can you ever get off it without all the cravings coming back. I know you are suposed to "ween" off of it, but then what? Also I'm really worried about the "mind fog" problems on topa. I have to work, take care of my family, etc? I've read the book and am ready to try but a little scared of topa from what I'm reading. any suggestions?

Comment

hope, here is the link to the question you posted this morning:

https://www.mywayout.org/community/f2...tml#post549898

it is in the thread called "Newbies on Topamax" started by Doing My Best in this same section. You have had some response to your question there.

You can also click on your own name, it will show you all your posts and where they are located.
          vegan zombies want your grains

Comment

thank you so much!

Comment

Solice;542229 wrote: Hi Topa Friends.

I've been taking Nal and drinking and wondering if anyone here has been that route and then went to topa or vis-versa??
              i've also been taking Nal & drinking and it worked well for me except for the side effects of excessive sleeping and tiredness in the mornings. That's the reason I've stopped Nal. waiting for topa to arrive - will keep you posted once i start it.

Comment

hope41;550041 wrote: Hi, I'm new here and can't figure out how to post yet, so hopefully this one goes through. I asked this question this morning, but don't know where it went? Anyway, is anyone worried about the long term effects of topa and can you ever get off it without all the cravings coming back. I know you are suposed to "ween" off of it, but then what? Also I'm really worried about the "mind fog" problems on topa. I have to work, take care of my family, etc? I've read the book and am ready to try but a little scared of topa from what I'm reading. any suggestions?
                Hi if i get mind fog probs when i start topa, i'll stop immediately bec i have to work. will let you know progress

Comment

hi pepperment. I'm new too. I saw your question on another thread. there is an answer also. check out the new to topa thread.

Comment

Help in UT

Hey All,

I've been taking the Generic Topomax for about six weeks now. I ordered my first supply online but my significant other would prefer that I get a prescription for it. The problem is that I do not have a regular doctor that I can talk to about this problem. The topomax has been amazing I have only drank like 4 days in 6 weeks. WOO HOO!! Does anyone know any physicians that are aware of the use of Topomax for alcoholism that work in the Ogden, UT area? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and GOD BLESS YOU ALL

Comment

bump

Comment

bump again

Comment

Nancy, you ok? Whats all the bumping going on
                          Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall. --Confucius
                          :h

Comment

QUOTE=VodkaLvr;540421]Hey guys,

Glad I found this website! Other online communities you get attacked by AA nazis for not going with their program. I respect other's beliefs but it turns out it doesn't always go both ways.

I found this site as I have started taking Kudzu Recovery. At my worst, I was drinking a fifth of Vodka a night and not getting sick or having hang-overs...yikes! It was maybe half that over the past 5 years or so. I gained 30 lbls in 7 months from binge drinking nightly... finally I'm over that hump.

I'm very excited about Topamax after reading your stories. One of the hardest things for me was giving it up altogether...I'm 33 y/o male and very social.

I think I'll order it (Topamax) but I'm afraid of the haziness. I'm a programmer and concentration is key (not that going in after drinking a fifth the night before is at all condusive to concentration!). I tried quitting with antabuse (helps IF you take it...but I didn't want to quit altogether).

I'll be around.. just wanted to say Hello! and express that I'm happy to find you guys.
                            I'm a 33 yr old male attached to a desk as well. I haven't really had a problem with work at all, the fog seems pretty mild but I'm still on a low dose. Also, like you, I'm not sure if I want to quit altogether or not, but I've started topomax because I was drinking over a 1/2 litre of whiskey/night. Lost over 10 lbs the first week on 25mg, just went up to 50 and in my 2nd week. I'm at about 1-4 drinks/night now (normal people drinks, not MY drinks :H) and thinking I can do AF free nights at 50 mg.

Comment

Started topa last Tuesday for weight loss and mood stabilizing. I'm a 47 yr old female and overweight at 160lbs, 5'1 and highly stressed. Signed up with personal trainer two weeks prior and work out two days per week. Totally gave up alcohol. Diagnosed with pre diabetes. Cholesterol at 288 and elevated blood pressure. sent my precious daughter to stay with my sister to keep her out of harms way and maintain her happy spirit while I put on my boxing gloves. Packed up my office at work and started interviewing. I also told my husband it would be safer for him to go take care of his mother for a few days while his sister was out of town. He got the hint and left. Topa has miraculously balanced my mood in just 7 days. I haven't felt calmer all year. I weighed in last nite and lost six lbs. my boss called me into a conference with the partners and asked me what could they do to convince me to stay. I successfully stated my case, told them I would be working the next two weeks on part time summer hours then went home to change for the gym. Topamax has given me the ability to have control over my life again. I have dry mouth and some blurred vision and sunlight is quite annoying but the loss of appetite, weight loss, and and mood stabilizing is exactly what I needed in my life. However I am extremely worried about hair loss. I'm glad to see no one has experienced it here and I pray that is the case for me as well. If not, I will have to let my wonder drug go.

Comment

first day

Hey Sweetie. I just started topa today, so I don't have much to post yet. I am interested in your mood changes. I was hoping that topa might help me with general anxiety. I think that is why I drink sometimes. To get rid of the anxiety, not because I am physically dependant. Did you have anxiety issues?

Comment

Working...
                                X