TOPAMAX SURVEY - DOSAGE/LENGTH OF TIME/SUCCESS

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hi, Could not take the topa at all after 1st week @ 25 I felt weird, just thought it was something to get used to. 2nd week on 50 mg my pulse rate was lowering mid 50's after an hour of running also it stopped my menstrual cycle. It was due the 1st week and took it a week off of topa to come back. Both of these are possible side effects found by researchers.
    M

Comment

Just checking back in. Went up to 125 mgs last week and will go to 150 in a few days. Drinking is still at 1-3 glasses of wine per day (down from huge vodka consumption) and even have had a few AF days. Can't drink beer or any carbonated drinks. YUCK! Still have cravings but they aren't nearly as bad. No weight loss, still have tingly feet, and I am exhausted. I have to take naps on the weekends and I'm not sure how I make it through the workdays. I still take the All One and the Kudzu, but the Milk Thistle gave me horrible headaches. Over all, everything is OK except for the tired feeling that won't go away. Any suggestions? I just hope it doesn't get worse as the dose gets higher or I may not be able to go on with the Topa.
      Learning to live life on the outside of a bottle. :flower:

Comment

G'day Did it,

I remember when I felt really exhausted on 200 mgs Topa, I went back to 175 mgs, because 200 and 175 mgs were no different when it came to cravings. How about 100 mgs and 125 mgs in comparison in your case?

Frankly, Topa works differently for different people, due to different body chemistry and metabolism. I don't know what other medicines you are on, which might also play a role and maybe trigger some kind of chemical reaction leading to headaches.

I'm not a medical practitioner, but I'm only guessing here. I any case, I'd be careful not to go any higher on Topa, rather than going off altogether, frankly. Savor the benefits of moderation, rather than falling back into uncontrolled drinking, I suggest ...

As for the weight loss, I frankly wouldn't be too obsessed about it (sorry to be straight about the issue). I know it'd be great to shed some kilos, but frankly, while some members are known to have shed some weight, it seems to have been the result of less drinking and diet rather than Topa by itself. Moreover, the fact that some have been able to tolerate higher doses of topa (and therefore been able to have less apetite as a side effect) might also have been playing a role.

Hope that helps.
        Paddy
        Time's fun when you're having flies. - Kermit the Frog - eace:

Comment

Hi folks

I'm now up to 100mg topa with no side effects (think I had a bit of word loss around the 50mg mark but toof adrafinil for a few days).

I have had a marked decrease in appetite I must say. I hvae lost 10lbs in 3 weeks. But this coincides with my having some upheaval in my personal life so it is hard to say. I am excericing more and eating properly too.

I have no strong alcohol cravings, just "fancies", if you know what I mean, but it is early days. i am doing the full MWO programme as per the book - all supps and hypno.

K

Comment

I'm new here, and want to try the Topomax to help curb my 3-4 daily consumption of wine for about 8 years. My question is, can you get it on line? I don't have a relationship with my Physician where I would feel comfortable asking for it.
            Thanks
            L

Comment

Cant believe I'm just now reading this thread being an oldie around here! Yes, you can order it online. I do. I order it from www.inhousepharmacy.com/uk

Anyhow, my experience was a year ago when I started the program, I used just the supplements as doc would not prescribe Topa, but prescribed me Campral. Same experience as most --did not help, only gave me intestinal issues. So ordered it online and it took about 10 days to get here. Started at 25 mg and noticed nothing. 2nd week at 50 mg I noticed big difference. Mentally, I still wanted my wine as much, but when I started the first glass, it just didnt taste good. Of course I made myself drink it (I know, its dumb), but it took about 45 minutes. I was elated. So I stayed at 50 mg and had my one glass of wine each night for about two weeks which in my mind huge success over drinking a big bottle each night as my goal was moderation. Unfortunately, the effects waned and I upped my dose. (Meanwhile I stopped the supps b/c Topa was like magic). So at 75 mg I again got the benefits I had before gotten at 50. But the tiredness was almost overwhelming and so somedays when I had tons to do, I opted not to take it and would drink way too much on those nights. Okay - I'm writing a novel, but since then I have pretty much gone off the Topa and discovered L-Glutamine and Gaba to work quite well to curb cravings and have used that and humiliating situations to learn to moderate quite well. But this week, I decided to go back full force on the program to the letter and have started all supplements on a schedule (even bought the darn pill box), listening to CD's (amazingly helpful -cant believe I didnt do those before) and started Topamax again at 50 mg two days ago. I am having immediate benefits from it all and had no desire to drink Monday night and drank two glasses last night, but that was because my daughter was in a serious car accident (she is okay) but I was incredibly upset and stressed and normally would have drank like fish in such a state. So the Topa worked wonders. I have no doubts that I will not drink tonight. Before Monday, I had been off Topa since October.

I am 38 years-old, 5'6", 113-115 lbs. (I was 120 lbs when I first started program and lost 7 and kept off so far).
              What happens in Vegas goes straight to Ohio....

Comment

Welcome Allie ;-) I sort of come to the conclusion to stay on Topa for quite a while. I'm really afraid to fall back into those old habits. My doctor told me to come in and see him once a month and keep on doing blood tests. As long as those are ok I could stay on Topa as long as I wished, he said.
                Paddy

Comment

First, Let me thank Paddy for starting this thread.

I started the full program March 12, topa, supps and cds. My goal was/is to abstain for 30 days and then see...? I would like to do mods. The first night I had the sweats and discovered that I am one of those that topa keeps wakeful. That was enough to knock me off the wagon; result I had wine Tuesday night and boy did it taste funny. My DH reminded me of the bigger picture and I have been AF since. On Monday the 19th I went up to 50 grams of topa. By Tuesday I was having really bad stomach cramps and other gi problems and lost my appetite entirely. For 3 days I was scared to eat anything because of the pain. I quit the magnesium Tuesday because of the warning and I hope that was the problem. Today I am feeling better and have been able to eat a little although my appetite is still gone.

As for the alcohol cravings, I discovered L-glut wipes them right out. Maybe the kudzu helps, I don't know. After my slip up on Tuesday, whenever I would get the notion that I was going to piss my goal away and drink tonight, I would pop a L-glut and within an hour I would have forgotten all about it. That never would have happened before. I wouldn't have taken my eyes off the clock before. (I used to have to wait until 7. )

That's my experience so far. I have spent more time feeling sick than I have feeling good but I have high hopes.
                  Reach deep, find your will power.

Comment

All

Just wanted to say that now I have hit the 150mg mark it is like a light switch has been thrown in my brain. I thought I was being affected by the topa before, but I suspect now it was actually all the other supps and the hypno. Now at 150mg it is just incredible: I also have slight - not unpleasant - tingling in my feet and hands.

Night before last I made 2 glasses of red wine last 4 hours, and last night I met a girlfriend for supper and I didn't finish my one glass!!! This is from a gal who one month ago was drinking a bottle and a half minimum, then sneaky voddies, then passing out.... Tonight I have been drinking tea, no wine.

I'm not taking it any higher than this - this is good for me. This is day 32 of MWO for me. I've done 27 days Af and 5 days mods. I am doing the whole programme and never believed that moderation would be possible.

hallelulah.

Kate

Comment

Moving up to 200 mgs

Dear All,

Again thanks so much for your input. I'm on week 9 with Topa. I did reach 175 mgs at around week 5 or so. Attempted to go up to 200 mgs, but felt too tired after that.

Lately (due to the availability of alcohol at my family home where I spent my holidays - while not terribly plagued by cravings) I did sort of revert to consuming 3 - 4 glasses of alcohol. From Friday onwards, I decided to titrate up to 200 mgs (from my 175 mgs TOPA). Good move. But need to wait another day. The cravings are gone. The switch is thrown. The only thing to watch is the fatigue (which could be masked by my current jet lag).

Anyway, again thanks to all of you for your input.:l
                      Paddy

Comment

Hi all.
                        This is a great inspiring post. I've been taking topa since february and have got up to 100mgs I am drinking far less than ever before. I've a way to go but its so much better.

Lee I bought mine online from Aclepsa following a link in another post. I've copied it for you here
                        Buy Generic Topamax (Topiramate) Online :: Aclepsa.com
                        Good Luck
                        Hels

Comment

Hitting the 200 mgs mark and the ringing in my ear drives me nuts!

Interestingly, I hit the 200 mgs mark a week and a half ago. While the alcohol off switch was also reached with the 200 mgs TOPA, the ringing in my ear started a week ago, and it's become REALLY annoying.

So, as off today I went down again to my most comfy dose of 175 mgs, even though it's not the most effective dose (unfortunately!). But the ringing in my ear drives me NUTS!

Just an update. Don't know if any of you has had a similar experience?
                          Paddy

Comment

Topa and weight loss

Hi everyone,

I've been a faithful reader of this thread since I started the program about 2 months ago -thanks Paddy, good one!

Have been on the "full program" since starting and with great results. My getting- to- be- a- bad -white-wine -habit ( getting up to a bottle a night) has evaporated. Have done 30+ (have actually lost count - true!!) AFDs and for past few weeks have had no more than the odd single glass on three or four occasions. So far so good....

I'm on 125mg of topa and have been on this dose for a few weeks now. It seems to be holding any cravings in check. No real side effects other than a bit of tingling and the weight loss!!!

OK! OK! I know! I know! But my clothes are falling off me! What I can't understand , is that I am eating ravenously and still losing weight - over five kilos so far, which is really too much for a small framed female . Sure some of it might be those empty wine calories, but so much? I eat well and healthily and have always exercised. I'm fit, well and healthy but I really can't afford to lose too much more weight.

Has any one had a similar experience - that is eating and eating and still losing weight? Could it be something in the topa itself? Any ideas?

RR

Comment

Dear Robin,

The weight loss is a side-effect which affects some people more than others. Similar to the memory lapses. As the majority of us are not of the medical profession, it would definitely pay to see a doctor. The way I work with Topa is that while I take it, I am being supervised by a physician (once a month or so). I'm the first patient he ever put on Topa. I totally briefed him on why I wanted to be put on it. He was OK with it, but said he wanted me to have blood tests done once a month, just to see whether my liver was ok with it. And he also wanted me to report any side effects I experienced with it. So that's what I'd do if I were you. Keep trying until you find a doctor who cooperates. And let me tell you one thing - you may even be luckier with a 'non-white'/Australian doctor, as they are more humble and willing to try out new methods of treatment (i.e. Topa, MWO) as the other lot ... Sorry, that sounds a bit harsh, but often the right of the patients for their choice of treatment is ignored, because patients are labelled as ignorant.

Sorry for rambling ...
                              Paddy

Comment

Brief update -

I'm down to 175 mgs again after 1 1/2 weeks on 200 mgs. Reason: Side effect - Constant ringing in my ears drove me nuts!!
                                Paddy

Comment

Working...
                                X